1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HYBRID BATTERY REBUILD???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Emy77, May 15, 2019.

1. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    alright so I have an 07' prius with 160xxx and codes c1259 (hv system regenerative malfunction)and c1310 (hv system malfunction detected) given to me by the Toyota dealership. my car was working fine and then I went on a 8 day vacation leaving it parked. (it was pretty cold and I had an old 12v in) when I got home, my car was dead so I jumped it the same as I normally would. car turns on fine. second time I try to start it I get red triangle-VSC- and the (!) light that isn't the tire pressure one. next time I drive it goes away. I get my 12v replaced at the dealer- and now the lights wont go off, so I had them pull those codes.
    now- my car is driving funny with the lights on. the rear fan is blowing like crazy, and its having a lot of trouble accelerating from a stop. (takes roughly 30 seconds to reach 25mph). my hybrid battery wont kick on. my mpg had dropped to 25 from 40+. also I noticed the coolant is not swirling. (inverter pump??)
    the dealership insists I need a new battery-however I declined a full hybrid system diagnosis because it cost $120 at Toyota.

what do those codes even mean??? they are so vague and I cant find much online.
    could this be a buildup of multiple issues? (hybrid battery + inverter pump?)
    should I try something simple like replacing my fuses?
    is it even worth it to replace the battery in an "07?
    im at a total loss as to how this happened randomly while I was away for a week. car seemed to be running great other than the low 12v battery.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    two options: get the $1,600. @2k1Toaster battery and find someone local to install it. but be prepared for other expensive repairs down the road. (even though your car should easily go another 150k, brake actuator, oil burning, combo meter, a/c compressor are all looming, but may or may not be a problem.)

get a newer car.

Emy77 likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are overthinking this.......like a lot of people do.
    Everything in the world works just fine......right up to the second that it DOESN'T.
    Often things stop working when their "routine" is changed.......like letting it sit for a week unused.

I think you should pay for a complete diagnostic.....and expect them to tell you that HV battery is bad at the very least.

You should NEVER change more than one major part at a time.......because some of the codes are "phantoms" and will go away on their own when the major problem is fixed.

And to address the title of your thread, NO you should NOT get a hybrid battery "rebuild" if they just change out the cells that are bad right now. More will fail soon. A good rebuild changes them ALL.