1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replacement after 213,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Vedeler, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Chris Vedeler

Chris Vedeler Red Pepper

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have owned my 2008 Prius for 4 years and have put about 80K miles on it. Recently my battery was draining from 6 or 7 bars down to 1 or 2 in about 3 blocks when I first started driving after the car had sit for more than a few hours. My gas mileage was down from about 45 or 46 to about 42 or 43. It was clear the hybrid battery was nearing its useful life. I couldn't complain as my car had 213,000 miles on it.
    I was researching getting a refurbished battery from several different sources and found a guy who did it installed for under $1000. (PHOENIX HYBRID BATTERIES) Steve came to my house on a Sunday and installed the battery in about 2 hours. He showed me a test before and after and we took a test drive together. My Prius drives like a new car now. Hard accelerations barely budge the battery where as before would drain it fast.
    Everything else about my car is in very good shape and now I expect to get another 100,000 or even 200,000 miles from it (fingers crossed). Replacing the hybrid battery isn't a scary and daunting as I was lead to believe and breathes new life into a great car.

Attached Files:

Aaron Vitolins, bisco and m.wynn like this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I see they also offer a new Toyota battery for only $2,437 installed including taxes. That's a great deal for a long term solution.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    do not know, most of the experiences around here involving refurbed/remanned batteries are that they fail around one year later if not earlier.

Did he at least clean the air blower with the interior removed?

4. Chris Vedeler

Chris Vedeler Red Pepper

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, he cleaned the air blower. He has great reviews online and said he has only had one warranty repair. I felt a lot better working with someone local who did the referb himself vs. some unknown place on ebay.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! please keep us posted now and again. all the best!(y)

6. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1k installed at the house seems like a good price. What is the warranty?