1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replacement Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Raymond Linam, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Greetings all,

Thank you in advance for your help.

I have an 07 Prius with 230K. I got the litany of warning lights and had the dealer diagnose to find the hybrid battery needed replacement.

I watched YouTube videos enough to believe I could change it myself and ordered a reman battery from Greentec.

Long story short - was able to remove and replace battery, but when everything was hooked up and orange safety plug installed, and I was nearly tempted to consider myself a badass, the vehicle won't start. When I go through normal starting procedure, lights all light up, but it will only shift to neutral, not drive or park. Also, all the warning lights remain...

Like an idiot, I didn't test voltage on new battery before putting trim back on and tried to start. I will remove left side trim this morning and take cover off battery to access and test voltage.

Just wanted to check if anyone has any ideas in addition.

Thank you

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the Orange service plug is correctly installed
    Make sure it is fully seated.
    It's a 3 step process
    - insert plug
    - swing handle upwards 90 degrees
    - slide straight down until you hear it click into place

Unhook 12v battery to clear any codes before trying to restart.

apad and bisco like this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Go with the easy stuff first: make absolutely sure you closed the orange safety plug completely.

4. Raymond Linam

Raymond Linam New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you!

Pulled trim. Tested voltage - which was fine. There were some clear plastic pieces that were over where the contacts run from battery to wiring that leave the battery that I removed. Tested again and it started up. Pulled ground again on 12v and codes cleared.

She runs again!

Raytheeagle and fotomoto like this.