1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replacement or rebuild?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius_let_me_go, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Prius_let_me_go

Prius_let_me_go Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I just recently bought a used and abused 2004 model, and it has been very neglected throughout its 180k miles, but I am slowly working my way through fixing the issues (water pump, clock spring, etc.) and changing the fluids.

I Just recently I diagnosed the hybrid battery as having a HV short to ground and as I have seen on other forum posts that is most likely the only real issue that is keeping me from driving it.
    The main question is do I spend the $1100 to just get a re-man battery pack with balanced and paired modules or do I take the time to dissect the pack, identify the bad modules, buy replacements, and then balance them out to make it useable until another module has an issue?

I believe someone has worked on the battery before and I do not know what was done to it, but I think I will have less of a headache buying the battery as a unit from falcon hybrid, at cost of paying more to fix the issue.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there any corrosion in the pack or connectors to it?

only you can decide between a reman and diy. reman sounds like the easy way out except more costly financially rather than time.
    but many (most?) remans have a high failure rate due to all the old cells they still have. part of your decision would be how long you want to keep the car for.

3. Prius_let_me_go

Prius_let_me_go Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I still need to open it up to see the condition which will help with the decision. However old modules don't necessarily mean bad modules.