1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery replacement question.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by filmdude50, Feb 8, 2023.

1. filmdude50

filmdude50 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for letting me join. I have a 2010 Prius that just reached over 211,000 miles on it's first hybrid battery, so obviously, I am looking to get another one before it goes out. What are my best options? Buying a used one in hopes that it will last me awhile. Buying a reconditioned one, or just buying 28 brand new cell modules and use my current casing and have them all replaced, which would be the most expensive option, but hey, the battery will be brand new and I won't have to stress about it going out anymore. Also, has anyone in this group replaced their 12V battery with the new DieHard Ev 12V, and if so, is that a much better battery? Also, does anyone know if I am able to replace my plastic oil filter housing with an aluminum one, and if so, which one? Every time I go to get an oil change, they practically break it to get it off now because the plastic housing is so cheap and about to break.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have two suggestions:

If you are REALLY worried about the oil filter housing, try buying a replacement for IT before it breaks.
    But after 12 years and 200K miles, it might not be a fragile as you think.

For the HV battery, I think you should start scouting out REPUTABLE battery rebuilders so you will know who to contact when the time comes. I personally think that one which is guaranteed to have all new cells already assembled is the best choice.
    From reports in forums like this, the odds of a sudden total failure seem remote so then you could wait for a "sign" that it is failing.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is no best solution, because it depends on how long you want to keep the car, and what you expect from the battery.
    I wouldn’t replace it before you need to, it could last years more, but research now is a good idea.
    Oem and project lithium are your best bets.
    Have you cleaned the egr circuit yet?

4. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    340,000 before any battery problems so you may have longer than you think, trying to buy just brand new cells might be problematic as I've only ever seen used ones for sale.
    You could rebuild yourself relatively cheaply, just the cost of used cells ( with the help of a obd dongle and prius assistant app you can find the bad cells) or have a rebuilt battery put in.
    Only toyota do brand new as far as I'm aware but if your keeping the car for a long time this may be an option.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Brand new......what exactly ?
    I think several places rebuild old "frames" with all new cells.......or at least claim to.

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Steve Keith

https://www.phoenixhybridbatteries.com/

7. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check out the Project Lithium link in my profile.

8. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Would love to see who was supplying these new cells as I've only ever seen the lithium iron replacement, by brand new I mean Toyota supply a new case with new internal parts that have never been used before, they also do a reconditioned battery pack too.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Coots

Coots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I converted my Prius oil filter to use the 2016 corolla "traditional" style filters. The metal canister ones.

10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Are you saying that Toyota will sell you a "reconditioned" battery pack with something less
    than ALL new cells ??
    I think not.

Grit likes this.