1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Replacement Questions: Prius 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DST CLAIRE, Aug 12, 2015.

1. DST CLAIRE

DST CLAIRE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At 104,000 miles my battery died and yesterday confirmed by the dealer.

The dealership first gave me a quote of $3100.00 parts and labor; and it would be advisable to replace an upgraded Hybrid Vehicle Battery Computer Assembly. Then the price goes to $4095.00
    Is this a "have to" scenario" ?

I have contacted Toyota (Corporate office) to see if I can get any kind of financial assistance since it is just out of warrantee. NC is not a CARB state :( Toyota will get back to me.

My questions.

1. Is it absolutely necessary to include the Battery Computer Assembly?
    I just started a commission job and anything out of my normal budget really hurts.:oops:

2. Can you still drive with only the gas engine for a period of time? Dumb question?

2. If Toyota splits the cost, I may go that route, but is there any other less expensive alternatives?
    Is there anyone in the Charlotte NC area who sells refurbished and does the installation as well?
    I think I saw an ad on EBay of refurbished batteries sold out of Charlotte?

I have to say that I have been very impressed with the assistance from the local Hendricks Toyota Dealership. The service department rep provided me with details on getting in touch with Toyota Corporate. I spoke with another Toyota dealership, who is only 10 minutes from my home, and they were of little or no use.

Just trying to see what options are out there:rolleyes:

Thanks Much!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You want the new Toyota battery if you can get it, and you are close to warranty so you could get real lucky with Toyota assist. Fingers crossed! The other part is Greek to me,

You are semi-close to Sanford NC where Taylor Automotive pioneered the Re-Involt.com batts which later got bought out by Dorman. Greentec is another player. Let's see what Toyota says.

I just found this site:
    Find A Shop - Hybrid/EV Repair & Service Shop LocatorHybrid/EV Repair & Service Shop Locator

You did get great help from the dealer!! We would have told you to call Toyota, but why do the dealers not do so? I have a thread to capture Goodwill Warranty cases so when you get an outcome we can add your case and the dealer name for good report.

DST CLAIRE likes this.
  3. DST CLAIRE

DST CLAIRE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks much for the input! Yep, lets see what Toyota does.

4. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It cost me just $30 for the individual battery module to fix mine myself and i'm no mechanic. A 2007 Prius isn't worth enough to justify spending so much money to put brand new battery in it in my opinion. Buying rebuild pack for around $800 is another option though you could end up getting the same or worse than the pack you have now.

I wouldn't drive it very much when you got the red triangle because the Prius charger isn't very smart and it will be trying to constantly charge all the cells in attempt to get the bad cell higher voltage which might do damage to your good cells you have left. Also the car can go into limp mode.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NC a little hot climate but we are expecting batt to last 10 yrs 200k miles. May want to ask them to make sure to clean the batt cooling fan which can get clogged if you have dogs or frequent use of back seat.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. No. The electronics didn't fail and don't come with a new pack. The dealer prefers to sell more new parts than to remove the old to attach to the new pack.

2. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked. No. You will be able to drive the car some distance with a failing pack but you will reach the point where it will die. At best you'll be stranded in a parking lot somewhere. At worst you'll be involved in that collision that is causing the road to be shut down during rush hour.

3. A discounted OEM battery should last longer than a refurb.