1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Throwing Multiple Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sailingahead, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Sailingahead

Sailingahead New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I have a 2005 Toyota Prius which has been very reliable until recently. I noticed several days ago that it was charging to all green bars when I would come to a stop and then quickly drop down to almost no bars very quickly. It has over 218,000 miles on it so I figured it was time for a new hybrid battery.

Today I took it for a drive and I got the dreaded red triangle of death. It seemed to be driving fine other than not having as much power as it used to have so I kept driving it and today when I hooked it up to a ScanGauge II it had 26 codes.

Here’s the list of codes that I had: P0A80, POO24, U317A, P1C00, P0048, U2675, P0044, P0056, C1C00, U2871, P002D, P1E00, P0747, B2200, C2B50, C2500, P0450, P002C, C1000, P1304, P1F00, U2972, P0047, B3000, P10E3, P0046.

I cleared the codes and they haven’t come back yet "although I haven't driven very far" but I already have a bunch of “Pending Codes”.

I have an appointment next week to have the hybrid battery replaced at a Toyota dealer but with all those codes I’m wondering if it is the battery or something else? I've googled a lot of those codes and they don't seem to have anything to do with the hybrid battery. The Dealer plans to charge me $1950 for the battery plus $750 to $850 for installation.

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    A slow mechanic that may have never even attempted this before should be able to do it in 5 hours You said 800 something dollars holy cow their labor rate must be $200 an hour but that is what it is.

vvillovv likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What would they be? About what size bunch are you talking? Until you can get valid codes, it's hard to advise you.
    That's a decent price for a dealer install.

5. Sailingahead

Sailingahead New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link that was very helpful. I think you’re right about my scantool. Those were some strange codes. I found an old Bluetooth adapter and installed torque pro on my phone and the only codes that came up were P0A80 and P3019. I was worried that the battery and ECU might be bad and I can only imagine what the dealer would charge for that.

The scantool seemed to be caught in a loop and it just kept scanning for pending codes but I couldn’t get it to display them. I think at one point it said it had found 98 pending codes. I cleared the codes and it didn’t display anymore pending codes.

I’m probably just going to install it myself. I can’t get any straight answers from the dealership on any questions I’ve asked them. No one has even been able to tell me how long the warranty is if they install it.

#5 Sailingahead, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2023
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    What is the per hour labor rate charge at the Toyota dealer you're going to I mean this is a if you're on a good day with the poorest help on the planet this could take 4 hours so that's close to $200 an hour shop labor rate holy Christ I guess that's pretty good in your neck of the woods or what have you Not here in North Carolina. Of course most people wouldn't be touching the dealer they'd be taking that battery with them or putting it in in the parking lot That's what I did I drove my car there in just about did it in the parking lot had most of it already undone out and in and they watched.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #7 vvillovv, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Also, grab the DrPrius app. It might work better than torque on the Prius and will come in more than handy if you do the battery work yourself.

DrPrius and Nexcell lithium upgrade are made by the same guy. And support for both here is above average.

9. Sailingahead

Sailingahead New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, I just couldn’t justify paying that much money. I just got back from picking it up and hopefully I can get it installed this weekend.

It has about 218,000 miles on it. I love the car so much that I will probably replace it with another Gen 2 Prius if anything major happens to it. Then I will just switch the battery over to the new car.

Thanks, I was looking at the DrPrius app last night. Looks really interesting. I almost bought it last night but I decided to just go and pick up the battery today. The car was losing so much power that by the time I got back from the dealership today l barely made it home.

#9 Sailingahead, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2023
    jbmbenjamin and vvillovv like this.
  10. Sailingahead

Sailingahead New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just thought I’d come back and update this thread that I started. I did get the hybrid battery installed over that weekend back in February and it has been running perfectly ever since. I’ve put about 5000 miles on it so far. It really wasn’t that bad of a job. I took my time and made sure I didn’t mess anything up. It was well worth the money that I saved by doing it myself. I never did get an answer from the dealership about the warranty. Since I installed it myself I assume l don’t have any warranty. Maybe a one year parts warranty? Anyway just thought I’d update this thread and thank everyone for their help.

jbmbenjamin, mr_guy_mann and dolj like this.