1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery -- Warning lights - Brake, Hybrid, Master, and Check Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TommyG, May 3, 2011.

1. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Let us know how the Supermate DC6 works for you and what your charge protocol and results are. How is the Supermate DC6 powered?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a few MeanWell 12V power supplies. The input requirement is about 60W at 11V-18V. In retrospect, I wish that I had bought a bunch of laptop-type chargers. Hobbypartz sells AC power supplies as well but they were always out of stock.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have it from an experienced authority that the DC6 does the job and mine was on sale at Hobbypartz for under $25 (I had to addd a low cost tool to get free shipping).

The supply I have is a 5Amp 12v laptop brick from eBay ( POWER DC 12v 5A Adaptor For MYSTEKY iMAX B5 B6 Charger - eBay (item 170516212079 end time Jun-15-11 02:52:32 PDT) ) for $10 and the plug fits in the DC6 power socket.

Seilerts,
    You can get multiple supplies at a discount from this eBay vendor.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  4. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jeff, I forgot to mention, that you will need to make two changes in the User Settings area. 1. Change the cutoff time from 120 minutes to 720 minutes, and the charging cutoff from 5000 mah to 8500 mah.

1 person likes this.
  5. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the power supply info. Keep us posted on how this cell charge works out.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Thank you for the alert. I might have missed that until the unit short cycled me.

I used the DC6 in an attempt to get my 2, 18v, NiCad batteries for my drill back to a reasonable capacity and gain experience in using the unit. It did get the weaker battery back to a little over half capacity (700 mah out of 1300) and the stronger of the two batteries is now completing one discharge/charge cycle after a power failure last night short cycled my effort after 6 hours. It has been interesting watching the little computer manage the process.

JeffD

7. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just got the call that after all the lights went on we need a new Hybrid battery. 90,000 miles (2 weeks after a major check up- interesting). SInce in California, they will replace but over a week to get one.

Is the replacement only good for 1 year I heard you say?

8. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's the quoted warranty, but the replacement is a new Toyota battery and there's no reason to expect failure in less time or miles than the original one. I would bet that if the failure of the second battery happened during the original new car battery warranty period you'd have good chance that the dealer or Toyota would replace it again. I doubt that this has ever happened since unless your original battery failed extremely early, the replacement is almost sure to last past the end of the original warranty. I've never seen anything on Priuschat describing such an event or the outcome.

9. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope they gave you a rental. Interesting that most recent reports have been in 2005, at 90,000 - 190,000 miles. I may just pull mine pre-emptively and see if there is anything unusual.

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Are you going to rebalance the 28 modules? That should extend the life of the HV battery, but unless one has a large number of Charger/rebalancers like the DC6, will take a long time. It seems that rebalancing a module with a DC6 will take a full day.

JeffD

11. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a very ugly bright NEON blue Scion xB.

Rumor has it that it will take 3 weeks to a MONTH to get a battery- UGH- that is UGLY>>>

no car pool sticker for a MONTH....
    I want my PRIUS back.....:eek:hwell::(:(:(

12. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have 10, and 4 more on order, along with some of those laptop chargers. I also use a cheap Chinese junk 12V nichrome battery tester to do most of the first discharge. But yes, it does take 24 hours in general to do a 3 cycle discharge/charge with a DC6. My wife thinks I'm nuts and calls me the Battery Rainman.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Since I don't plan to start a long term business of refurbishing batteries, I'll have to live with my one DC6 (my wife gave me a hard time for that purchase). Hopefully selling a few of my tested and rebalanced modules on eBay will make her less unhappy with me.

I'm glad that my reference for the laptop bricks came in handy for you. I found them via a user comment on the DC6 units offered for sale on the web.

JeffD

14. cbourque

cbourque New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. JJJ

JJJ New Member

I was excited to find out about the 150K mileage figure. Depends on the state you are in, apparently. 150K in CA, according to Toy. So I have to drive a bad car 800 miles to get the warranty extended. Something smells fishy in Nippon..... Anyone else have info on this?

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To receive and maintain CARB warranty, the car must have been purchased in a state at a time when the CARB standards were adopted. For sure, if it did not have the CARB warranty to start with, you can't just drive to California and expect it to apply.

17. JJJ

JJJ New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured that to be the case, but was just out-of-the-box hoping..... dot... dot.... dot...

I must say that PriusChat has, and continues to be the absolute best information source.

18. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep! Got that one today had to be towed home. I was hoping it was merely the 12V but that checks out fine. Now I hope it is the inverter coolant pump. We will see on Monday.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty and 15 year/150K mile emissions warranty along w/the states that it applies to is all spelled out in your warranty booklet.

20. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pardon me if I am not quite using the correct terminology. It ended up being the inverter coolant pump (warranty) and the water pump.

For some reason I thought the water pump was being replaced under warranty also. The cost will be around $500.