1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Warning (next steps)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jimothy Thor, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Jimothy Thor

Jimothy Thor New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Hi there - new to the group, hopefully going to be using this over the coming weeks! I had a Hybrid Battery warning light come on the other day - and the car was towed home with our breakdown recovery company.

Since, I've stuck a OBD2 Bluetooth transmitter in there to find out the error code and test the battery, if indeed it was the dreaded P0A80 message. Sure enough it was.

I read the battery module voltages, and they all seem relatively OK. Under no load, they were all coming in at 15.9v apart from one, which was at 15.7v. I tested it under load (AC, stationary), and the 15.7 module went up to 15.9v, as did 4 of the others, the rest were at 16v. Driving the car, I took another reading, and the voltages were between 17.3 and 17.0v. The lower cell from no load being the 17.0v module. All of this, indicates to me that one of the modules might be slightly lower, past it than the others, but it's only 0.8%.

As it stands, I've cleared the error, and am going to keep an eye out for any more coming up. I think I'll spend a bit of time making sure the battery vent is clean and keep an eye on the temperature. This happened during/after a motorway drive, so could be related to some overheating.

Foks, am I right in my conclusions? Is there anything else you recommend doing? Any other ways of testing the battery? I've seen folks bring the battery down to almost zero with AC and no engine to check the modules thoroughly, but was a bit worried that this might cause some problems with it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    might be worth a look inside the case for corrosion

3. Jimothy Thor

Jimothy Thor New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    So - re corrosion, we're looking at the metal on the terminals etc or the actual battery cells - something like swelling or leaking? I'd imagine if they're doing that they're going to show a lower voltage, right?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, a leaking module measures and performs just like normal. Even the corrosion is not a problem, per se, just as long as there is no corrosion between the contact point. Most people clean it up because it just doesn't look great.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A P0A80 code by itself will not make the car go into limp mode. It should also continue to drive normally. If a code triggers like 'P3015' (block 5 becomes weak), that indicates a specific block of modules is causing the battery to have problems and that will cause limp mode.

If your car became undriveable and needed to be towed, there was another code in there.

6. HybridCPR

HybridCPR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These HV batteries diminish in capacity over time and use. They appear to still function at even 20% of original. Your battery is likely approaching a failure, after years of use. You might familiarize yourself with how to disconnect the 12V ground. Takes a 10mm wrench. Maybe put one in the glovebox? Then, if you get stuck, just disconnect the 12V ground for 10 minutes---this resets the computer. Thus you can get home or to a repair shop. A properly reconditioned HV battery should recover to 70-80% and are reasonably available.

7. Jimothy Thor

Jimothy Thor New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    @HybridCPR I'm assuming you're referring to resetting the codes? If yes, I can do this using the Torque Pro app. Are you referring to something else?

@TMR-JWAP - no other codes came up on Torque Pro.

The car is a 2007 Prius Mk2 on 110,000 miles, which I've been told is getting towards the end of the Hybrid battery life. I'm not totally convinced looking at these voltages that it is the end.

My next steps are going to be:

1. Inspect the fan for any blockages - this hasn't been cleaned in at least 5 years (since I owned it) and possibly more!
    2. Do a visual inspection of the battery to see if there's any corrosion on the contacts or leaking of the modules.

Does this sound about right? Or is it worth me just biting the bullet and getting an entire reconditioned battery?

8. Jimothy Thor

Jimothy Thor New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    No sign of any blockages in the fan. Next step I think is to drive the car for 30 mins or so and see whether any warning lights come up. Keep a close eye on the Torque app settings all the while.

9. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You might want to get another app like Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant to see if there is more info available with your fault. I am not sure if Torque can pull the secondary - inf codes from the HV battery ecu. You might need to get a better OBD2 adapter to run either of these.

Many on this forum get a mini VCI connector with Techstream software from ebay or amazon and run it on an old windows laptop- this is a copy of the oe diagnostic system.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.