1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid battery warrranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paphillyman, Mar 16, 2013.

1. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All ,

Just got my 2006 prius march 9 , 2013 , after going over the records of the cars history done by toyota I see that the hybrid battery was replaced at 62,859 by Tri County Toyota. Does this mean I get a new warranty starting at that mileage (62,859) ?? I will call them Monday to talk to someone. here is the service record , the hybrid battery replacement is at the bottom.

JobDateOperationDetailsPayment
    T30K 08/27/2009 PERFORM MAJOR SERVICE INTERVAL (30,000 MILES) PERFORM MAJOR SERVICE INTERVAL (30,000 MILES) ~|~CHANGE OIL AND FILTER, LUBE CHASSIS, CHECK ALL FLUIDS AND TOP OFF, CHECK TIRES AND SET PRESSURES ~|~ ~|~30,000 MILE INTERVAL SERVICE, CHANGE ENGINE OIL , REPLACE ENGINE OIL FILTER, LUBE CHASSIS (IF A PPLICABLE) TOPPED OFF ALL FLUID LEVELS, ROTATED TIRES AND SET TIRE PRESSURES, INSPECT BALL JOI NTS AND DUST COVERS, VISUAL INSPECTION OF FRONT DISC BRAKE PADS,
    Parts
    NamePart #QTY
    FILTER S/A, OIL 90915YZZF2 1
    BULK-OIL OIL 4
    ELEMENT, AIR REFINER 871394701083 1
    ELEMENT SUB-ASSY, AI 1780121040 1
    FUEL INJECTION KIT BG1002 1
    CUSTOMER PAY
    SEE 08/27/2009 BELOW FOR INFORMATION BELOW FOR INFORMATION ~|~CUSTOMER PAY FOR ANTI FREEZE
    Parts
    NamePart #QTY
    SUPER LONG LIFE COOL 00272SLLC2 2
    CUSTOMER PAY
    SEE 08/27/2009 :REPLACE LEAKING WATER PUMP :REPLACE LEAKING WATER PUMP ~|~C/S-COOLANT LEAKING FROM VEHICLE
    Parts
    NamePart #QTY
    WATER PUMP ASSY 161002915683 1
    CUSTOMER PAY
    890111 08/27/2009 HYBRID BATTERY ASSEMBLY R&R HYBRID BATTERY ASSEMBLY R&R ~|~C/S: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON VSC ~|~FOUND CODES P1259,1310-CHECK AND FOUND LOW VOLTAGE FROM HYBRID BATTERY ~|~REPLACE HYBRID BATTERY
    Parts
    NamePart #QTY
    BATTERY ASSY, HV SUP G951047031 1
    WARRANTY PAY

Thanks Gregg

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What state are you in? Each state's warranty coverage is different depending on if the state passed CARB legislation....

3. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Im in Pennsylvania , Philly suburbs
    I would think if they installed a new hybrid battery wouldn't I get a 7yr/ 100000 warranty again ?

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Due to its preexisting standards and particularly severe motor vehicle air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards. States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.[2][3] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board."

Good news, you have the 150K mile 10yr CARB warrenty.
    EDIT ... Sorry but only 8 year/100K mile HV battery warranty, cwerdna Thanks!!
    I would assume this started when the new battery was installed in your car!
    Pse Fedex me a Cheesesteak, no onion!!:)

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm fairly certain a new battery does not reset a warranty period, though the right dealer might cut you a deal if need be. And with a new battery at 60k miles the odds of the battery going bad before your car hits 150k are slim to none.

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I highly doubt it will reset the warranty. If the ICE fails at 60k they will replace it but not reset the warranty

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not so fast. As I posted at rear ac will not shut off | PriusChat, PA is not one of the states listed in my 06 Prius' warranty booklet as receiving a CARB warranty. I just double checked the booklet again and what I posted there is correct. PA got added after model year 06.

OP likely only will have an 8 year/100K mile HV battery warranty and no, it's unlikely the warranty will be reset. The replace should have a 12 month/unlimited mileage (from what I'm hearing from others) warranty or the remainder of the original warranty.

KK6PD likes this.
  8. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok , well thanks for the input guys , at least I know that the hybrid battery was replaced @ 62,000 miles , gives me a little more confidence about the car. My son suggested I go get a trickle charger for it , so we went to Walmart and he hooked it up so I just have to plug it in and leave it in overnight , its only 1.5 amp , and it shuts off automatically if it does reaches a full charge. Hearing all the stories about the 12v battery dying gave me some bad feelings

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    The HV battery and emissions warranty terms are spelled out in your warranty booklet. Hopefully you received it.

Re: the 12 volt, please run the test at Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat after the car has sat MANY hours or overnight (or you can use a voltmeter). Please tell us the 3 values (not just 1). Don't go changing the battery first until you tell us the values...

If you have HIDs, you can avoid unnecessary cycles on the lights by toggling between off and parking light positions.

Weird stuff can start happening w/a low or bad 12 volt. Don't waste $ on having a dealer "test" the 12 volt (07 Prius Dead - Any Guesses? | PriusChat). If you're on the original 12 volt, it's at end of life now.

10. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just ran the test tonight to show my son
    ACC mode it was 12.2
    IG-ON ....12
    with car started.....14.2

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    That looks ok. Let us know the numbers after the car has sat overnight.

12. paphillyman

paphillyman Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The thing I was worried about is I dont drive more than 7k a year. Going to work is like a 20- 25 minute ride and that includes stopping for coffee. When Im off I do alot of short trips , so as I was reading here , I think it was Patrick Wong , suggested to get a charger for the 12v battery if you dont drive it long distances that much.
    But I will post tomorrow what the battery reads again.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I agree. When I lived in WA, I was doing VERY short drives and since I parked outside, I couldn't do any sort of public charging (well, I guess I could, but I'd risk someone muck w/my car w/the hood up and/or someone stealing my charger). I got a VW OBD2 solar panel to keep the 12 volt topped off.

Now that I can park inside a garage (but still have somewhat short drives), I use an Optimate 4 every few weeks on my 12 volt.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be very surprised. No other warranty replacements in the consumer world reset the original warranty, so it is not reasonable to expect it here.

Outside of the warranty, if a replacement battery is purchased, I believe it comes with a much shorter warranty (1 year?) than the original.

15. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK "new" batteries from the dealer only have a 1 year warranty. If the car with a replacement battery is still young enough/low mileage the original factory warranty should still cover you. i.e. if battery replaced at 62k you should still be covered until 100k even if the replacement battery is more than 1 year old.

The replacement battery does not "reset the meter" to another 100k warranty (150k in CARB states)