1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery with Bad Grounding?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by glue, Apr 4, 2023.

1. glue

glue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hello!

Please excuse anything I incorrectly say as I am a huge novice and had help throughout the process.

I have been in the process of fixing my 2010 hybrid battery after I got a "Check Hybrid System" display a month ago.

The first time I took out the battery and all the cells read 7.7 and 7.8 volts. So, I only cleaned the heavily corroded bus bars and the fan and it seemed great. I put the battery back in but only attached the essentials, like the fan and the wiring, but not the rest of the interior like the right side panel or the top of the trunk. I drove my Prius perfectly for less than a week, even going on highways and everything.

When I decided to put everything back together I had a hard time with the right side panel (from looking into the trunk), which covers some wiring and electronics to the battery, and had to jiggle it around a little. I didn't attach any of the screws or anything, just holding everything in place with everything else. I also did this part alone, which also causes me to believe I had messed up.

I drove it and it seemed fine, but I came back home and turned the car off. After I turned the car on and drove for less than 2 minutes the "Check Hybrid Engine" display showed again.

So the second time I took out the battery I knew of weak cells. I had used the Dr. Prius app I had decided to replace the 10 cells that seemed the worst. I tried to replace modules 6-10 with cell 1 starting on the opposite side of the fan. The battery volts now range from 7.7-8.0.

Screenshot of Dr.Prius App Mid-Test Drive:

I again didn't install the rest of the interior until a week and a half afterward. It was driving the best it had been since I got it in September. Once I was absolutely sure it works, I tried to reinstall the interior. I attempted to do this alone again. I once again had trouble with the right side panel and also didn't attach any screws or anything.

The same pattern is also repeated. I drove the car, turned it off, turned it back on, drove for less than 2 minutes, and the display appeared. I immediately opened the Dr. Prius app since I still had the OBD2 attached and I saw this:

I got the codes read which also told me that module 4 is bad, so I have 2 cells currently being shipped.

Is there anything that could be happening when installing the interior that could cause this? Such as it grounding somewhere else or the panel messing with some wires? Or is it just a very crazy coincidence?

Also, on a 2010 Prius, which side does module 1 start? On the side of the fan or the opposite end?

If any information is available, please let me know!

Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    morelikely that all the cells are old and close to end of life, and you're playing whack a mole like so many others

3. glue

glue New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That makes a lot of sense! Thank you!!