1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery woes

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Gen1Prius, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Gen1Prius

Gen1Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven’t driven my Prius in quite a while but I had a smart trickle charger on the 12 V battery. I got out to start the car and I finally got it to run and I left it running while I was out cutting my grass and I have about an acre that I cut and periodically I would check on it and it was still running and I thought it was kind of weird because normally it would shut off. I finished cutting the grass and I got in and I want to move the car back and forth because I hit a pothole and took out both the right side tires and bent the rims so they’ve been flat for sometime so I wasn’t able to drive the vehicle until I got replacement wheels and tires but I managed to move it back-and-forth a little bit and then when I shut the vehicle off I went to restart it and it was deader than a door nail. Was it running off of my 12 V battery and here I thought the engine was charging the hybrid battery. I’m assuming that you have to drive the vehicle to charge the hybrid battery? I’m hoping I can get it started so I can move it back on the cement to install the new wheels and tires and take it for a drive. Thanks in advance.

2. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    From what I understand it was running on your hybrid battery as needed, but it was not recharging the hybrid battery. The system recharges the hybrid battery when you actually drive it. Even the brakes recharge the battery with the regenerative braking system.

As a sidenote I do have issues with the 12 V battery dying from nonuse in my Gen 1, and when I finally boost it, I simply let the car run in the driveway for several minutes much like you. The problem I have is the car reverting to hybrid mode and then the 12 V battery is not charging. So what I do is grab a couple of bricks and place them on the gas pedal just enough so that 4-cylinder motor is continuously engaged allowing the alternator to kick in and recharge the 12 V battery.

I hope you find this info helpful.

3. Gen1Prius

Gen1Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Sandy for the information. Several years ago just after Optima announced that were offering a battery for the Gen II, I was able to get the adapter kit that Toyota wanted some outrageous price for and the Optima battery from e-learning aid for the price that Toyota wanted for the adapter kit if I remember correctly. I was driving it once a week but when I hit that pothole and took out both wheels, I drove it home for about 3 or 4 miles. It was like 2 or 3AM and I wasn’t going to wait for AAA to send out a rollback to tow it to my house. I was able to finally find a couple of new replacement tires and wheels for it and it took me a while to get the mounted. I kept a trickle charger on the Optima but it never dawned on me that the hybrid battery would discharge. So now I have to get out and get the wheels and tires put on it and hopefully I can get it started and drive it around. Thanks again for the information.

4. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take the 12v out and charge it with a battery charger, not a tender. It will be charged when it gets to 13.2v. If it won't get over 12v, it's fubar, bad cell. Get your ducks in a row and get the poor little thing out and drive it. Old hybrids don't react well to sitting around gathering cob webs.