1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Scotcam, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Scotcam

Scotcam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,

I hope you are all doing well and staying safe. I am new to this thread. I currently own a toyota prius 2005 with 222k miles.

Over the last week, the red triangle has appeared along with the traction light, brake light etc. The battery has also went from 4 or 5 blue bars to just 1 red bar.

I purchased the BAFX OBD2 code reader yesterday and I was wondering what the best app is to use?

I noticed that some people have used Dr Prius app and would be curious to hear what people thought of it/ if it gave them a good diagnosis.

Thanks!

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Download the app and try it.

3. Scotcam

Scotcam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Azusa,

I downloaded the app. I have attached my results below. If anyone could help with what it exactly means, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cameron

Attached Files:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is error code p3000? looks like a problem with block 3

you might need tech stream for the sub codes

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. Scotcam

Scotcam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks Bisco for the reply. It appears that P3000 relates to the battery control system.

Yes I was hoping that I could just replace block 3 but I do not know if this is something that a lot of people have done. I feel that the car is probably a right off tbh if I need to replace the hybrid battery as it has 222k miles on it.

I have been using the Dr Prius app which has been very helpful in determining the blocks.

If anyone has replaced one of the blocks, it would be great to hear the process?

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thousands of rebuilt battery posts. Start reading the threads.

Unfortunately there all over the place. Wish they would have just a battery rebuild sub forum.

use the search forum tab up top and search

hybrid battery or battery or mini vci or techstream.

2GenPrius and donbright like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    replacing a module is covered pretty well here. not too difficult if you're a decent diy'er.

the complication comes with how thorough you want to be in rebalancing, and trying to reduce the times you have to slug the battery in and out repeating the process.

i'd let it go, but this is priuschat. many here hoping for a half million miles, and some accomplishing it.

according to other postshere though, the p3000 might not be a cell but an ecu, so i'd proceed carefully

8. Scotcam

Scotcam New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Yes i will take a look at other forms and see what I can find out, I appreciate the quick response.

Hi Bisco,

Yes I agree. I actually tried to get a quote just for replacing block 3 and it was around $800 - $1000 dollars which seems really expensive. I will do a bit more research but unless I find a cheaper solution it is looking like I might get rid of it.

Thanks!

#8 Scotcam, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2020
    edthefox5 likes this.
  9. judot

judot New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Scotcam,
    I have a 05 Prius of 205K miles. I have replaced bad module before and it was relatively not too difficult as there are many youtube videos showing how to take out the battery pack and replace individual module. It would solve the red triangle problem but the issue is that the overall efficiency of the battery pack might not get much improvement and chances are you may need to do it again as another module breakdown would happen soon.

I have experienced this scenario and so I am in the process of rebuild (replace and reconditioning) my battery pack. Keep reading other threads and youtube showing how to proper repair and reconditioning a battery pack. It is not terribly difficult but very time consuming as there are many module and each module has to be cycle several times.

Best wishes!

10. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my 2001 I've replaced bad cells twice with about a year gap, 2006 model got new cell this year, so far it was single cell failing in every case.

11. MilnerMR

MilnerMR New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi guys!
    Does anybody understand these values?
    I was checking if a needed to change some modules because the red triangle appeared a few days ago. However, I don’t understand what’s happening, these -320.2 means that those blocks are all dead?

Attached Files:

12. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was giving correct reading anytime before? This readings looks like HV ECU fault, but it also can be bad Bluetooth OBD adapter.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably means the No. 2 frame wire is corroded and/or broken. There may be corrosion also at the battery ECU connection where the frame wire plugs into it.