1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by David Sabin, Jul 31, 2022.

1. David Sabin

David Sabin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the last couple of days my hybrid battery says it's fully charged but when I start pulling forward the vehicle starts to shutter and shows an empty battery trying to figure out if it is a battery of replacement or is it a inverter replacement thanks in advance for any help

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi David, Does the car drive normally after that? Or unable to drive? Do you have any warning lights on the dash? The warning light will have an error code that we need in order to diagnose.

Wondering if this is related to our regional heatwave because it says you're in Union? Is that Union, Washington? Anyways, lots of air conditioners use can push the limits of an older battery pack and if you don't have warning lights yet if's something that can be addressed without having to spend too much money.

As for the shutter you sure that's not the engine?

3. David Sabin

David Sabin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When it happened I had a full Christmas tree on my dashboard and it's saying it went into limp mode. As for Union yes it is Washington and my brother was running the ACThe whole time he was driving my car. I have contacted Toyota about a new battery. And the drivability of the car Shut off the car then it drove somewhat normal just lack of power.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the inverter pump, check the reservoir for movement with the car ready and engine off.

how many miles on her?

best to get it to the dealer for error code reading and post them here

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I'm in the city 40mins south if you ever need help... Get yourself an OBD2 device to keep in your glove box. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265484403768 You can then use Dr. Prius app and other apps to take screenshots of error codes and clear them so your car won't go into limp mode while you're driving. Can also provide you a loaner pack while your pack is rebuilt, or help you install OEM pack when it's no longer on backorder. It's a 2 hour job / $100 if I install it. But if a Toyota Stealership installs it'll be a huge rip off. Better yet, if we can keep your Prius going till November, you can upgrade to way better, way higher performance pack from https://projectlithium.com that will boost your MPG.