1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid buyers veer away from expectations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daronspicher, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

I am the proud owner of a Prius and am a senior citizen. So you can add that to your poll. Pllus My income is under 13 thousand a year.
    Mary

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Nov 21 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]352797[/snapback]</div>
    ...and you are not a technophobe. :)

3. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Nov 21 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]352738[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. You should be driving a midsized SUV. If you have more than one kid, you should get a Suburban.

:lol:

Funny that people would assume California roads to be full of hybrids. Still appears to me that pickups and SUVs outnumber hybrids here by a good margin.

Californians buy SUVs. I had one - when I had a boat that I towed (the boat I have now lives in the water). Nothing has really changed from 10+ years ago when a friend of mine came out from the mid west in his RV and joked about camping here....

"You know. I most of the country we can pretty much go anywhere with RV. Camp ground and stuff are easy to find. The I come to California and I have to make reservations to camp through Ticketmaster and when I drive down the road I see everyone towing something... boats, jetskis, motorcycles, camping trailers... and if they aren't towing it, they have on the roof of the car...."

This kind of on-the-go recreation by car happens everywhere. It's just Californians aren't as different as most people think.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Nov 21 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]352449[/snapback]</div>
    and the other 27 percent?

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 21 2006, 10:21 PM) [snapback]352877[/snapback]</div>

Today's media rarely do good hybrid reviews or even know math. :p

6. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Nov 21 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]352877[/snapback]</div>
    that's most likely the one's that didn't respond, weird however, that 27% would skip that question? :blink:

I'm jumping back in kind of late (yeah, 12 hours hahaha) but i like what the survey accomplished, making Prius seem to be more mainstream, which could influence more techno innovations from Toyota if, and a big if, their own research is anywhere close! <_<

For instance, who really wanted leather as an option. You newcomers may not remember back in the day (2004 that is) when leather wasn't an option. LOL ... in 2009 when we trade up to generation 4.367 who do I get to thank for leather in package #15, I'm thinking the under 30 modders in LA! B)

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    other 27% could be in the process of getting a degree. i do personally know two that fit that category. both in the medical field, both working and going to school for nursing degrees.

also, i have met a dozen people that drive Priuses that are not a member of Priuschat including the two above. they state they simply dont have enough time to come here although i think i might have convinced one to lurk here. her Prius was bought by her parents as a way to save her money. she is working at St. Peters in Olympia, and taking classes at U-W in Seattle. that is a 60 mile commute. albeit, done during the off rush hours but still done 3 times a week. (during daylight hours, there is hardly ever a lull in traffic especially anywhere near Lake Washington) but she has become more curious as to options especially when i showed her how she could integrate an ipod into her stereo etc.

8. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Midwest
    Over 45
    College degree
    Upper middle class

But just remember it's all in the number of people they ask

9. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Nov 21 2006, 11:53 AM) [snapback]352498[/snapback]</div>

By your statement Im guessing that you are saying that you have not seen another African-American driving a prius in the bay area??? (from what I have heard, that region is very diverse?) So it could be worse... yo could live in the middle of northwest ohio and drive 2 hours in any direction without seeing any persons of color (any color) period... (much less driving any type of hybrid).

On a side note, people around here will literally stop me in a parking lot, iin ntersections while driving, and even follow me home to ask me about my Prius (they're still a novelty here, though our ranks are growing). Yet whenever im in the DC/Baltimore/Annapolis area im amazed at how many Priuses (I dont like "Prii") I see everywhere... Im glad im planning to move to Annapolis after graduation :)

10. Marla

Marla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arrallen @ Nov 21 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]352692[/snapback]</div>

LOL!
    I don't fit the stats either.
    ready to retire
    caucasion
    west coast (NOT Seattle and NOT CA)
    finishing my degree/s
    obviously broke

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Nov 21 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]352751[/snapback]</div>
    The first person I saw driving a Prius, in my hometown, coming down the road in the opposite direction, was a well dressed African American man, in his late 30's early 40's. I remember this, as I was wondering if midwesterners did the Prius-Wave - nope.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Arrallen @ Nov 21 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]352692[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Arrallen.

Another Package 1, Middle Class, Bohemian (1/2) from Chicagoland here, ha! I have some more college (Bachelor of Science).

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I veer away from Expeditions and Escalades, but not from expectations. :)