1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Car May Have Sparked Garage Blaze

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Octane, Apr 15, 2011.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Volt was the only EV was in the garage. I hope it doesn't take months to investigate like the last one.

Later in the video, they showed Nissan Leaf. WTH?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's a possibility. However, why aren't there any such case reported with Nissan Leaf?

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I saw only the text. For various reasons I have most videos blocked by default, and hadn't hit the buttons to see that any were even linked.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It will be interesting to see the result of the investigation. Preferably by the fire department, not GM or Seimans.
    Still, 2 events don't a trend make. Especially when the first event also included a home made Suzuki EV conversion and both vehicle were charging at once?
    I didn't see it, anyone know what brand charger was at the first house fire?

This also will hopefully bring to light the importance of proper wiring for those intending to get EVs. It is simpler than installing a gas station, but proper care should still be taken;)

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, hopefully we will find out soon. A friend's mom's house burned down because of wiring. She had a golf cart plugged into 110 in the garage, and heat had deteriorated old wiring in the garage so it could not take the rated draw.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You gotta laugh . . . to point out the total stupidity in focusing on EV PHEV related fires, considering FEMA's statistics:
    Seems to me, it'd take at least a half dozen EV's and/or Plug-in's (or their related equipment, or their related male/female plug) catching fire yearly, just to be able to claim EV/PHEV's cause 1 out of every 4,700 electrical fires yearly.
    :p
    If one takes into account that at least 1 out of 4 fires is caused by lamps/lighting then you'd probably have even lower odds than 1 in 4,700 electric powered cars causing house fires. Hardly a panic situation. Still, the media likes to focus on (what ... the novelty?) electrically propelled cars being causally related to fires ... whether it's the home owner's bad wiring or not. Kinda makes you wonder why there's no outcry over the roughly 60,000 yearly ICE vehicle fires/related deaths due to gasoline. So . . . . how many thousands are necessary before the media drama drops off? There I go ... trying to make sense of things.

Attached Files:

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You are absolutely correct Hill as far as the statistics go.
    My concern is more the public's impression of EVs and PHEVs. If that is damaged at this early stage it could set EVs and PHEVs back years.
    That is my main concern.

In just general terms, I also always like to see these things investigated by dis-interested parties. Yes, GM and Seimans may have expertise with their products. But the fire marshall should first be able to determine the original source/cause.