1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid cars losing market share

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Skoorbmax, Sep 30, 2011.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel costs will be going up, every time the economy expands. Then it squeezes the economy until we stagnate, and the prices drop again. That's the pattern we've been in since 2006, which is about the time of peak oil production.

I'm not saying we're headed for doom and gloom or any of the other scenarios typically associated with peak oil. But the new energy sources you mention (and they are real) are all more expensive than the old sources, and harder to produce in large volumes. Tar sands are only profitable with oil above $60/barrel (or more, I've heard different numbers). The enormously productive Bakken fields requiring horizontal drilling and fracking isn't much different. So the price pressure becomes quite relevant, unlike the 90's when we had cheap oil and great growth. Some people will argue Clinton did a great job, or the Republican congress or a Reagan/Bush Sr. legacy...nope, it was cheap oil (<$20/barrel from OPEC) that powered our economy then. And the era of cheap oil has ended.

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back to the topic, I've seen many more Prius lately than I used to. I love how they dramatize the whole thing:
    Wait a minute. The hybrid market went from 2.8% to something a little over 2%. That's still more than all the Subarus sold in the U.S. I wouldn't call that "hardly anyone". Given the addition of great new small cars that get over 30 mpg at lower price points, I think that's still pretty good. And with the recovery from the earthquake, those numbers are probably going to go up for the remainder of the year, not down.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

sure, but lets see the year end - both Prius and RX have been hard hit with tsunami shortages otherwise Prius would have higher sales than in 2010.

Except for Sonata/Optima which sell very well but have so many issues that i wonder about their long term viability, nobody else has got anything new on the market... so what exactly do they expect to sell? Ford hasnt done anything... nor has GM... germans dont have real hybrids, nor does chrysler... so how will sales grow? Honda had some weak efforts. How exactly will market share grow?

Only Toyota is investing a lot of money in hybrids and 10% of their overall 2010 sales will be hybrids...

If Toyota has the production, I am pretty sure their hybrid sales in US might even double next year... between full production of Prius, CT200h, RX450h, we will also see Prius PHEV, Prius v, Camry Hybrid and Prius c, which should sell more than 100k next year in US, bar component shortages. So thats going to be extra 1% on that graph.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    You realize hybrids as a whole (just a couple per cent of total world sales) are just a fraction of market share, right? ..... and as the economy spirals down, that more expensive 'green' things (solar, hybrids, low e windows, insulation, led can lights etc) are the first to take a hit because those things are secondary to many people, right?

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I read that more and more hybrids are coming in in the next year. Hopefully the gas prices will begin to take the toll on people though many still believe they have to own "big" cars. Some use ethanol blen to help their burdens of the gas they burn...

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just you wait. Prius v and c are coming out.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Showroom traffic, new Camry with best in class mileage, gas and hybrid, Prius v, and 60mpg Prius c in January?

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, but let's also remember that the Prius sells half the hybrid sales out there and that the average Prius sold costs less than the average new car across the market.

The point being it's a real and meaningful number even if there are plenty of others to temper it with.

There is still a lot of FUD about hybrids and unfortunately I am sure that some people question "If I can buy a compact with 40 mpg why would I get one of those tiny Prii and have to worry about its battery?", regardless of the Prius being bigger and smacking their car black and blue in real world combined mileage. We can't pretend there isn't a real price premium on hybrids, though. I only got our Prius because Toyota was throwing them away early last year. I couldn't afford not to, it was impossible (lease under $200/month). But now I see a Prius lease is $329 and i can lease a mazda 3 at $193/month. The math has changed again unfortunately.

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree that the 3.50-3.75 is currently the norm. I mostly used that range as an example. I remember when we hit 2.00/gal and everyone was freaking out about it, then after a few months it died out.

I could believe that about the recessions caused by energy prices. Society is so closely tied and run by those energy sources, that when prices go up, it's not a simple single bill increase, it's an increase across several areas. The best thing to do is to be prepared for it.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

I think what they have to measure here is performance of hybrid sales vs other cars in Toyota lineup :). Because honestly it is only Toyota right now that is fully invested in hybrids... rest are just playing the PR game (Honda, Ford also but much smaller degree).

13. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never wanted a huge pickup (given that I am not a farmer, rancher or construction contractor, who really need them), but when Humvees were first made commercially available as Hummers, I thought "Cool. I could go ANYWHERE with one of those."

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree the real Hummer was a cool vehicle, and I had no problem with it on the road since price kept the numbers low. It's a shame GM watered down the name with reskinned Chevys.

15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cyclo- ...have never heard the words "long term contract" and "oil" in the same sentence, what are you in reference to? Coal, yes, utilities I have heard have long term term contracts.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. The number we need to look at is %hybrid cars on the road. Short term trend is well, short term trend.

18. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the advances in diesel and petrol ICE cars is what is affecting hybrids, hybrids no longer offer HUGE economy benefits, especially in the EU/Australian markets. Plug In Hybrids will help make hybrids popular and sufficiently more efficient than ICE cars.

19. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it's the "dope factor". If the price of fuel falls 5 cents, the new car buyer goes for a Chevy Suburban. I guess the shear weight of the vehicle justifies the cost. People don't see value in economy. I don't even want to start on the short sighted decisions being made by the American Public and Industry or for that matter Government. We seem to be a people cursed by dementia.

20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    here is some info on oil pricing: Understanding Long Term Oil Pricing - Seeking Alpha

as I recall reading, before deregulation the spot market was alot smaller %-wise then it is now.

The whole oil prices went up 30% - gas prices go up 30% is still a fallacy though, as most of gas is still made from long term oil.