1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid, diesel, EV sales: Feb-Nov

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mostly probably because to prevent new tax increases or business tax ripoff. Very typical you will see big ticketed items sales go up before end of the year.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess which country has purchased the most plug-in vehicles through 2012?

Electric car use by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, it's the US by a long shot. Plug in vehicles are happening all over the globe, but sales are slow, like ~ 9k total in China ("Cumulative EV sales since January 2009 represent a market share of less than 0.01% of total new car sales in the country") ouch ...

about 12k in France ... we've bought about 75k of all plug in models.

Tough stuff to sell plug ins. Heard reports from 'beyond lithium ion' symposiums that Li Ion technology has nearly reached maturity and that scientists don't see a major breakthrough in battery technology to greatly increase energy density and lower cost. I think it's going to be slow going for plug ins, but I'm still hopeful for Tesla.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are Graphene Supercapacitors the Big Break for Electrics?

http://www.energyharvestingjournal.com/articles/supercapacitors-replace-batteries-00004386.asp

5. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to see numbers for the Honda Civic NG (natural gas). I think it's being expanded to all states now?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We'll try next month. For February, 139 and only the Honda showed up.

Bob Wilson

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just make sure you get a good look at the trunk of the car, it is so tiny due to huge NG tank.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Holy near luxury hybrids, Batman! Those Avalon Hybrid numbers are striking.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the dashboard sales charts, but here's an interesting USnews review / ranking of popular hybrid, and plug in cars ....

Best Hybrid Cars Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars

Note, they like the driveability of Camry and Ford Fusion hybrid much more than liftback Prius. I found the same thing.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is where having a real "ECO" mode makes more sense. In effect, the driver should have the option to choose an "ECO" mode that makes the vehicle stay in fuel efficient modes. For example, I found the C-MAX to be to 'twitchy' on the accelerator. I knew this would make efficient, urban driving all but impossible.

Bob Wilson

11. acdii

acdii Active Member

Twitchy is an understatement. On my Fusion, I found if I stay out of EV at highway speeds the car is more fuel efficient, yet extremely difficult to stay out of EV at 55. It uses more fuel to recharge the pack when below 60% SOC, then it does just running on ICE with a 75% SOC. The gains using EV are quickly lost recharging it.

Now this is on my car, which to date has had a very poor record of fuel efficiency, while other owners with car built weeks after mine are doing just fine.

I took our 2010 to work this morning, and with a pounding headache, lack of sleep and not really caring about what kind of gas mileage I got, my 10 returned a 40.6 this morning in 35* temps with wet roads. Why I cant do this in the 13 is beyond me.

However with that being said, you still cant beat the nice ride and handling, and try to find another Sedan like it that can get 35 MPG short of the Avalon.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Today it sunk in that Toyota really sells a battery electric vehicle. It sunk in while riding as a passenger in an all new Rav4EV after a Electric Auto Association - Silicon Valley Chapter (EAASV) meeting (thanks Brandy!) The CUV has a 41.8kWh pack in it, a Tesla drive train. That things hauls :eek:

austingreen likes this.
  14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yeah, it's pretty quick and it's easy to spin the tires, esp. in sport mode. :D