1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Drive coolant leak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ophbalance, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or at least, I assume it's the Hybrid Drive. The service campaign to replace the inverter pump was completed on Friday. The Coolant Control Valve was replaced today (I TOLD THEM to have that part for the service on Friday, but I digress). I'm now seeing red fluid dripping under the car. It appears something wasn't tightened down correctly.

Given that it appears to be a slow leak, and I need to get the car back to the dealer to fix it (40 mile trip), should I make them tow it back at their expense, or is it safe to drive it that far? I have NO replacement fluid to add in the meantime, and if I recall correctly, that's a dealer only part.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Coolant is pink. Transaxle fluid (ATF) is red. Either way, a tow is a very good idea.

3. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's definitely pink. I put a plastic container underneath the car to catch some.

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What dealer in NC gives your car back leaking fluid? And yes i would call them and get it towed

5. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on reading past history here with dealers putting in a new CCV, I'm lucky that it wasn't connected with the pipping backwards ;). It's Go Toyota in Clinton, NC. I guess I'll just have to resume this issue in the morning when the open.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its probably leaking at the input shaft of the cv joint where it enters the transaxle case. There's a seal there that needs to be replaced. Read reports of leaks there before.
    The transaxle fluid should be replaced also due to possible dirt migration form the bad seal.

Based on alot of posts lately about bumbling dealer work I would def keep a careful eye on it after the repair and make sure its not leaking anymore.

Because no transmission fluid you will quickly destroy the transmission and boy are they expensive.

Make sure they replace the trans fluid. Its very very easy for the dealer to do that.

7. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the inverter coolant control valve pipping that's leaking, as that's what they were working on yesterday.

It's back in their hands this morning, and I have a Corolla to tool around in for now. I suspect it's only showing signs of leaking when parked on a slope. That'd explain why they didn't see anything when returning the car.

8. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: One of the hoses leading into/out of the CCV developed a hole. A new hose is ordered, and should be in sometime tomorrow.

9. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Living in the country, every time we have a severe storm there are lots of sticks and branches on the road. Last weeek after one such storm I noticed pink fluid on the drive. It had an oily texture and a slightly gel appearance. I lifted the car and found a stick puncture in the heater coolant pipe from the exhaust.

My first thought was transmission fluid as the appearance at first glance is very similar.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Oh my mistake. When I read pink I thought you meant cvt fluid. I keep forgetting we have pink coolant in our cars. Only pink coolant car I have ever owned. Sorry.

11. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Final update: They had the hose replaced by this morning, but I couldn't return their Corolla until this afternoon. There was no cost to fix this (beyond my driving time and gas), so I'm still fairly pleased with this dealer.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is good to know. Go Toyota is about an hour drive for me, in case I need a second dealer service department. I have a neighbor that bought his car from Go Toyota and drives to Clinton for service. He speaks very highly of them. He does not care for the local Toyota dealership.

There is a woman on here close to Jacksonville that does not like the local dealer's service. She may be interested in the Clinton dealership.

13. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car I have now was originally sold and serviced by Go Toyota to a gentleman from Wrightsville. He drove all the way to Clinton for service, if that tells you anything. They're the closest dealer to me.

But, to give some perspective. When I bought the car in '09, the financing was done through my credit union. They don't do "online", they don't do "Fedex", they do USPS for everything. Go Toyota let me drive the car home while the paperwork was still being signed between myself and the dealer. Not only that, when I got home I noticed the car had damage to the bumper that I had not noticed beforehand. They came to pick up the car and left me a loaner, and they also came to my house during this time frame (it was raining for a fair few weeks, and couldn't do the spray on the new bumper for some reason) to pick up the check when my CU finally mailed it so I wouldn't have to drive the 1.5 hours (there/back) just to deliver the check.

So far, it's a toss up between Go Toyota, and Tom Masano Mazda/Lincoln/Ford dealer in Reading PA that's my favorite to deal with. The service staff has always been polite at Go, and I've never had a problem with getting a loaner on a short notice.

1 person likes this.
  14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My neighbor has told me similar stories about the sales and service for Go Toyota. Your experience is certainly above and beyond any dealership that I have dealt with lately.

I see a lot of Go Toyota labels on Toyota's in Wilmington. After reading your story I can understand why.

I am neutral on our local dealership so far, their service is OK but that is about it. Enough to keep me from driving an hour. It is nice to know I have that option if they ever disappoint me.

15. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Final update: The prius has been fine since last week, and I've been able to get it inspected. Huzzah.