1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Emission Testing Exemption In Washington

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasalsa, May 23, 2004.

1. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reading cybele’s response to a question about California Smog Testing, I checked on Washington’s requirements. The following is a quote from their web site. I found it interesting, especially the part about the Honda Civic and the link that discusses reasons for your vehicle not meeting EPA estimates.

“Hybrid vehicle exemption
    Hybrid vehicles (vehicles powered by both electricity and gasoline) have exceptional fuel mileage. They are also more environmentally friendly than traditionally fueled vehicles, emitting far fewer air pollutants that cause health effects and have global warming impacts.
    The 2002 Washington State Legislature passed Substitute Senate Bill 6329, which exempts from emission testing those hybrid vehicles that obtain an Environmental Protection Agency city fuel economy rating of at least 50 miles per gallon. As a result of this law, the Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius will be exempt from the emission testing that would normally have been required of them when they become five years old.
    Currently, the city fuel economy of the Honda Civic Hybrid falls just short of qualifying the Honda Civic Hybrid for this exemption.
    More information on hybrid vehicles is available in the annual Fuel Economy Guide at www.fueleconomy.gov “

2. cybele

cybele New Member

Yay for Washington!

You have to figure that saves you money and bother in the long run too!

3. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hybrids are also exempt from emissions testing in Maryland

4. EssD

EssD New Member

From the MD MVA web site:

· In accordance with Maryland Senate Bill 206, passed by the 2003 General Assembly, and effective October 1, 2003, certain qualified hybrid vehicles are exempt from the requirements of the VEIP, and will not have to be tested. The exemption will remain in effect for three years.
    · As a result of the provisions of Senate Bill 206, effective October 1, 2003:
    o The Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius are exempt from the VEIP.
    o The Honda Civic Hybrid is not exempt from the VEIP.
    · Under Senate Bill 206, “Qualified Hybrid Vehicle – Exemption from Motor Vehicle Emissions Test and Inspection Requirements†a qualified hybrid vehicle is exempt from the VEIP requirement if the vehicle obtains a rating from the U.S. Environment Protection Agency of at least 50 miles per gallon during city fuel economy tests.

IMO, all vehicles with an ICE should get tested. Prius or not, over time the systems that control emissions age or can be damaged which will impact emissions.

5. Medved

Medved New Member

Not in OHIO, From the DMV web site in Ohio:

Are hybrid vehicles exempt from testing?

No, hybrid vehicles are required to be tested. Prior to January 5, 2004, temporary exemptions were issued to owners of these vehicles due to problems encountered testing these vehicles with the tailpipe test. With OBD II testing available on January 5, 2004, hybrid vehicles must be tested.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yeah, it's one of the things I'm looking forward to when my Prius arrives -- no more emission testing in WA.

Not does it make horse sense, and is a nice practical benefit to encourage hybrid use... but how would they test emissions on a Prius?

Can't remember how fast they get the engine up to to test it -- and there are so many factors to deal with (how well the battery is charged by the time you start the test, etc.)

In fact, the cost of educating the WA DOT personnel at the emission testing locations about the Prius would negate any extra $$ they'd bring in doing emission testing for those cars.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya WASHINGTON!!

hmmm. i wasnt even aware that we had to have cars inspected after 5 years... they must be getting around to me soon since i have 3 other cars and they are all waaay over 5 years old...

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the old tailpipe sniffer, they cannot rev the prius engine at all. IIRC, in Colorado, before they went to the dyno tests, they ran the engines at 2500 rpm. Stomp on the accelerator pedal on the prius in neutral, and all you'll get is ignored by the computer. :mrgreen:

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well when i brought my car up from CA in 1986 they tested the car at idle, and then ~20 mph and ~55 mph so they must have had it on something.

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would have been the dyno test.

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Testing is only required in specific counties in WA. King is in and Thurston is out and thats all I am sure of.
    Henry Drygas
    Olympia WA

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cool!! as long as Olympia is out that is fine with me.

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I just read the actual WA Senate bill (gaaaahh!), and while seasalsa explained it very clearly, I just wanted to expand on the situation a bit:
    • If you live in Washington, you normally have to start taking your car in for emission testing 5 years after you buy it, and then every other year afterwards.
    • Some vehicles (e.g., cars older than 25 years, motorcycles, etc.) are exempt from this test.
    • With Washington Substitute Senate Bill 6329, hybrid automobiles with EPA MPG ratings >= 50 MPG are exempt from this test -- whatever county you're in..

• BTW, not just the 5 year test, but all tests from then on.

Several items of note for WA residents:
        • Passed both the House and the Senate unanimously.
        • Went from being read in the Senate to being filed in a little less than 1.5 months -- very quick.
        • Falls under the jurisdiction of the WA Dept. of Ecology (who, I think, runs the emissions tests.) Dept. of Licensing is required to inform you that you don't have to bring your car in for emissions tests.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sooo Olympia is not exempt from this??

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

A Prius in Olympia is definitely exempt from emissions testing.

Don't know if all cars in Olympia are exempt in the first place, though.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok i have knowledge and yes all cars in Olympia are exempt from this.

the law is based on the level of polution in an area. Currently only 3 counties; King, Pierce and Snohomish quialify. So for now, i am ok but things could change if the polution gets bad enough and yes the Prius is exempt EVERYWHERE.