1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid energy flow observation

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Aaron Vitolins, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After driving my 2005 prius for two years, and always having the energy monitor displayed 24/7, I was very keen on how the power flow would act, In almost every situation.

Well I own a 2012 now, and my roommate has a 2011, the first thing I noticed in the difference of power flow, from the first time I got behind the wheel was the way the battery never seems to be utilized very much under ICE acceleration.

The MG2 seems to be used all the time, just like the 2005, but the battery seems to just sit there a lot of times, or just get charged. It does help keep the SOC up, so that's nice!

I also like how the Gen 3 is better about changing the hybrid battery at low speeds, or if the engine is running at a stop light. The 2nd Gen never really gave a damn about charging the battery all that much till it gets lower SOC. Any thoughts, or Observations? Type away!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps due somewhat to the battery health?

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a Gen3 but, yes, on Gen2 it is frustrating that the computer let's the SOC go to purple. I hate that going up a mountain. I don't want to let the charge go to purple. I think and hope Gen3 has bigger ICE and smarter computer to keep the batt charged. Perhaps Gen3 will have much better batt life...I hope so...but even Gen2 batt life so good it'll take us a decade to figure out if Gen3 is even better. Toyota may know...wish they'd tell us.
    Then we got folks asking how reliable Gen4 batt is? Sheesh hope I am alive to answer that one in 12 years.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (1) The Gen3 engine is significantly more powerful, and maintains its high efficiency over a wider RPM and power range (compare BFSC charts posted to other threads) than the Gen2 engine, so it doesn't need the battery as much.

(2) The energy flow display is significantly less useful on Gen3 than on Gen2. For Gen3, the new HSI display is much more useful.

breakfast likes this.
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it must come down to the engine power simply, but it seems like if it would let the battery help, even more, it could get better milage. Anyway not complaining, just stating. I enjoy the sound of the 1.8 engine so much more than the 1.5.

Also the newer prii make more whining and electrical nosies.. I like it!

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am so confused. This is posted in a Prius v forum. Your pictures is of a Gen 2 and your profile indicates a Gen 3. What kind of Prius are you asking about?

7. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant to post in the Gen 3 section, I am not sure how this happened. Any way, I wonder if the v's power flow acts the same as the 3rd gen, or more like the 2nd gen. I would assume it's engine doesn't have to much power to spare, so maybe it uses it's battery more. I would like to drive a v, never have before

8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right. Unlike you, I had practically no experience riding earlier Prius models, but that tendency surprised me too, when I was a novice 3rd-generation pilot. I expected the battery to assist significantly more than it does during moderate acceleration or climbing hills. Instead, the engine revs up to provide most of the power needed (except when the battery charge level is higher than usual). The engine has to rev up more than in normal cars, even modestly powered ones, because the engine torque is so low, relative to the mass of the car. Still, that's a good thing, because it saves the battery from unnecessary exercise, and is normally more efficient.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  9. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have a gen 2 and now own a gen 3 wagon which has the new battery technology. while the engine is slightly larger, my V does seem to charge the traction batt faster but it seems to drive the same otherwise. Perhaps Im missing something...