1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid HV Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 09Prius2, Jul 29, 2017.

1. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all. Have an 06 with 200k that sat in the sun for a couple months. It then showed signs of traction battery failure with the christmas tree lights, starting up with a charge and immediately dropping to zero bars before recharging.

I disassembled the traction battery and found some corrosion and loose connections. I fixed these and the battery operated properly prior to reassembly. I replaced the cover and seats and now it won't power up to ready status. No start and no hv power for ac or anything.

Could I have missed a ground or faulted a circuit? I thought I replaced the orange connector properly as it began working correctly once I had cleaned and secured the cell terminals. Any advice?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First you'll need to lock down the orange connector, push it downward to lock it. Your car should start after this step

But from what you described, you didn't fix your battery.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

The orange connector is a tricky one the first few times you encounter it. It can look like it is inplace, but not be. Take it out, and try again.

As to "fixing" your problem? You didn't. After the pack throws codes, you need to repair what it tells you to repair. You can usually limp along for days, weeks, even months. But the problem will come back again. And the car stores the miles and time from the last error code clearing too, just FYI.

I would only drive around with a techstream enabled laptop and an USB->OBDII adapter in the car. That way depending on what code you get, you may be able to reset and drive home at least.

4. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know I didn't "fix it", but after cleaning and tightening some of the terminals it would start properly and hold a charge. Some of them were arcing before I did this.

I bought the obd plug and techstream software but I can't get it to take any of the registration keys to run the program.

I'll try the connector again but was 99% sure it was resecured correctly as I had everything working properly prior to reinstalling the cover.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not following 'began working correctly', and 'car not starting'.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. 09Prius2

09Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I had all of the seats, panels and covers removed it functioned properly after cleaning corrosion from the terminals and retightinging them.

Once I replaced the battery housing, panels and seats it did not work at all.

I was able to jimmy the orange connector and its working again now.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

8. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yey!

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we'll have to start recommending this 'jimmying' to others who fail to reconnect the safety plug properly.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better than fondling or playing with ;)

bisco likes this.