1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Indicator: What EXACTLY is it indicating?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by alokeprasad, Dec 11, 2009.

1. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Description in the Owners Manual (Page 193-194) isn't exactly lucid in explaining what this indicator is indicating.

"Hybrid Eco area: Shows that gasoline engine power is not being used very often."

"Eco area: Shows that the vehicle is being driven in an environmentally friendly (fuel efficient) manner."

"Power area: Shows that an environmentally friendly driving range is being exceeded (during full power driving etc.)"

What exactly is going on with the ICE and the motors in each of these areas? Can we get technical about this here?

Thanks.
    Aloke Prasad

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Hybrid Eco"-This means very low RPM--I don't have hard numbers for you, but I'd suspect in the 1300RPM or lower OR ICE off, battery only driving.

"ECO"-ICE running, but within an efficient RPM range. Again, I don't have hard numbers, but would suspect b/w 1300-1700RPM.

"Power"->1800RPM (est.)

Someone with a Scan Gauge can probably give you some more specific numbers.

3. Ads_green

Ads_green New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only real answer is 'it depends'
    'hybrid eco' will try to use battery only if possible. If the batteries are low then the ic will run exclusively to charge the batteries. If the speed is over 41mph then the ic has to be running but it'll be at minimum throttle.
    'eco' will have the ic running but at a low throttle setting with the power split between charging and traction
    'power' will have the engine running almost like a conventional car with lots of revs.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is a pretty good write up by Hobbit, one of our more knowledgeable members:

HSI

1 person likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    More than a tach, I think. Is throttle being taken into account ?

6. alokeprasad

alokeprasad Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The best article ever! Most useful practical advice for owners of 2010 Prius.

Can this be made a sticky? or the article added to the PriusChat main pages (with the author's permission)?