1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid mini-van or station wagon coming?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Godiva, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota plans new, bigger hybrid.

" The model will be a midsize sedan with a 2.5- to 3-liter-engine, larger than that of the 1.5-liter Prius hatchback, Toyota's first hybrid, Japan's Asahi Shumbun reported Wednesday.

The new model is intended to serve U.S. car buyers, who like hybrids and prefer bigger engines.

Toyota is considering other hybrid-only models, such as a station wagon and a minivan, to spur sales of hybrid vehicles, the newspaper said.

The automaker is developing a new hybrid system that will be smaller and lower-priced than the current system. It will be installed on the Prius and the new hybrid midsize sedan as early as 2008. "

That's 2009.

I like that they're building a new hybrid sedan from the ground up rather than converting an existing car like they did with the Camry.

A new Mini-van should be next. Then either a truck or a stationwagon. Personally, I think truck. Anyone wanting a hybrid stationwagon would go with a hatchback Prius, a Mini-Van or the Highlander. I just don't see that many stationwagons on the road.

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This would be right on time for my wife's new car, which will need to be large enough to carry the growing family. We keep getting more and more pets. I think we've turned into "those people" on the street.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think we'll see a Hybrid Mini-Van or station wagon (or truck) in 2009. But we might in 2013. Isn't that when the next redesign cycle occurs? The Hybrid Mini-Van might benefit not only from ground up design but the next incarnation of the HSD system. Maybe they'll have Lithium batteries by then. And plug-in. Who knows what advances in technology will have happened by then.

With the Prius, Camry and this new sedan all hybridized, they really need to do a Mini-Van, station wagon or truck next. Leave the hybridized small cars and another hybrid SUV for later.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Dec 30 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]368729[/snapback]</div>
    However, the Estima minivan with HSD is already available in Japan.

That could very well bring about a model of hybrid minivan option here that doesn't fit any cycle.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Dec 30 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]368747[/snapback]</div>
    How much would it take to put the steering wheel on the left hand side for the U.S.? How much of the car would have to be redesigned?

And could they do it with the same redesigned 2009 HSD as the Prius and the new Mid-size sedan?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a welcome addition to those who like the Classic Prius because of the sedan design. I'm just curious to see whether this new hybrid sedan will be tuned for efficiency or tuned for power (seeing how they're debating on displacements up to 3.0 litres). In other word, how would it work around the Prius and Camry.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 30 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]368757[/snapback]</div>
    Indulging in your thoughts. Consider this:

It could very well be a pseudo-replacement for Camry.

Think about it. At some point, it won't be cost-effective to produce non-hybrid Camry anymore. But stopping production prematurely could be a disaster. However, if you already have a candidate in place and it just happens to a smash hit, that wouldn't be a problem.

I see this move as Toyota testing the waters for a major step forward. Imagine the top-selling sedan in the nation only being available as a hybrid. Pretty sweet, eh?

There actually is quite a bit of potential. The technology certainly is moving toward a "no non-hybrid counterpart" scenario. After all, economies of scale would support that. And the self-destructive actions of the competition are hardly a threat to such a plan.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Skwyre, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Whatever this new vehicle turns out to be, it will get better mileage than any conventional counterpart. And that's "Moving Forward."

9. mrg

mrg Member

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    i don't think it's a question of "how long does it take to put the steering wheel on the other side?" I think it's a question of "how long should we beta-test this thing before we introduce it to the most litigious country in the world?"

The Prius was available in Japan for four(?) years before being sold in the United States. During that time, Toyota gathered real data and - I'm sure - tweaked the model a little more.

We are too accustomed to manufacturers spitting out whatever they have whether it works or not. It seems like an eternity when we actually have to wait while a company finalizes a product.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, how long has the Estima been sold in Japan? And don't they have another hybrid Van of some sort?

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A hybrid light duty truck would be a very good thing; its the one area where I think huge gains could be made in the average fuel economy. Most of the time the trucks used by regular consumers are not hauling anything, but they are essential when you want to take your 5th Wheel camping with your family or your boat to the lake. The rest of the time you're driving it back and forth to work, and wasting quite a bit of fuel.

Hybrid technology is a natural for this kind of mixed-use application. Perhaps Toyota will enable a "super saver mode" where the driver can opt for much less power and gas use while commuting and a "power mode" with ICE engaged even at low speeds for towing.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Dec 30 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]368765[/snapback]</div>
    True but they can simply continue to produce a Camry Hybrid. I'm just wondering whether this new sedan (which I can only assume is the size of the Avensis) is going to replace the Camry Hybrid (thus allowing the Camry Hybrid to get a V6) or supplement the Camry Hybrid (let the TCH stay as a 4 cylinder hybrid and let this sedan be a sports hybrid with a V6).

Right now, we're just assuming it'll be a family sedan but it could very well be a 4-dr "sports" car more in line with the MazdaSpeed 6 or Impreza WRX (STI).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Dec 30 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]368812[/snapback]</div>
    Since the last generation... so 5 years maybe?

The other van is the Alphard Hybrid.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 30 2006, 11:51 PM) [snapback]368844[/snapback]</div>
    Don't forget about the electrical side. Remember that the battery and motors can be different too... so different that coexistance could easily be possible. It would make a lot of sense to have that alternate configuration sedan in an entirely different body. That way, there's no confusion about performance abilities.

GM has an interesting situation coming up. The effort to distinguish their "GreenLine" hybrid from their "Two-Mode" in the same vehicle (Vue) but using a different engine will definitely be a challenge, perhaps more than they anticipate. But if Toyota has two similar sized sedans with the same engine but different hybrid components (capacity & size), identification would be quite obvious even for the basic consumer just doing simple information searches online.

As we discovered with Prius way back in 2000, the technology plays only a supportive role in the rollout process itself. A well informed market (consumers, salespeople, mechanics, and reporters) has the biggest influence in the success at that stage. So diversification on the level of vehicle rather than model could indeed help with the increase of hybrid production. If nothing else, Toyota certainly will get credit for trying... unlike some of the competition who are having trouble with the initial rollout still.

But the question remains about how long a vehicle would be offered in both hybrid and non-hybrid models. Beyond a generation (typically 5 years) seems to be pushing it at this point. The business does have a bottom-line to eventually address.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    as big as the difference in the 2001-03 and 2004+ was, i think we are just a year or two out from seeing another leap in technology.

with the obvious growing acceptance of hybrid technology and its growing track record of top notch reliability, i think the next obvious move is to take advantage of the hybrid name by introducing products geared at a much larger segment of society.

16. mrg

mrg Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Dec 31 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]368936[/snapback]</div>
    I think once there is a mini van and a pickup with reasonable MPG. The general public will start to realize, hay these hybrids can really do the job and save gas at the same time.

I had a friend come by who bought a Ford Escape. I ask him did he gat a hybrid. He said noo and don't want one. I told him what good mileage, etc. I was getting and he looked very suprised. He had no further comment about why he did not buy a hybrid. Many, many people have no idea what they are missing. My wife's grandfather thought it was neat, but asked me what I had to give for my Prius $100,000?

Until they see or experience capability of hauling everyday bulky needs in a pickup or being able to get the whole family into a (one) vehicle like a mini van, it is a up hill sale by us converted Prius owners. My wife and I, our daughter and her 3 kids will not fit in a Prius. We cannot go to the store and buy a large TV, washer or dryer, barbaque grille, or any furniture, etc. without paying for delivery later when we want it now.

I think those 2 vehicles will advance hybrid use by individuals more than any other vehicles.

Everyone isn't going to be happy with a Prius. Okay make them all hybrids, that would make the cost a lot more affordable. We still need to reduce dependence on gasoline. Then we can work on alternate fuels.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Phase in the hybrid line and phase out the gas only.

Then phase in the EV (when it comes) and phase out most of the hybrids. Some will still be needed.

But for some people the only way they'll buy a hybrid is if there isn't anything else.

But I think for the majority, when you have two cars that cost the same and one is a hybrid that gets much better mileage, they'll choose the hybrid. Now to get them to cost the same or close enough.

There is still too much misinformation out there.

A few months ago my Brother in Law still thought I plugged the car in. I still get comments about having to spend $10,000 to replace the battery in three years. Time will take care of a lot of this.

Hybrids are not a 'fad'. Slowly, people will be shifting more to hybrids every year. And those manufacturers that have something people will buy will make money. That means a hybrid Mini-Van and a Hybrid Truck. Not everyone wants an SUV or a mid-size car if those are the only hybrids there are. So it is essential to widen the offerings in the line.

18. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why doesn't Toyota hear us????? The Estima min-van should be here already. I'd be the first in line.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless Toyota finds a way to have hybrid MSRPs lower than equivalent gas versions, the phasing out of gas-only won't happen any time soon.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Dec 31 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]369058[/snapback]</div>
    They don't have to be lower.

They just have to be close. Gas is going up. People are starting to want higher mileage. Getting an extra 10 miles to a gallon in a comparison will start to have an impact on decisions.

And when your only choices are nice Hybrids and gas guzzling POS, that will also influence buying decisions.