1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid motor positioning system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Erin Ireland, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Erin Ireland

Erin Ireland New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2009 Prius, 170,000 miles, that I just took to the dealership to have the codes read. The Master and hybrid warning lights came on, as well as the check engine light. P0A3F came up, and the technician said it was related to the Hybrid control module, or the Hybrid motor positioning system. They haven't done a diagnostic check yet, but they said if it's the wiring harness, it'll cost $300-400 to replace. If it's the sensor, it's not repairable in models earlier than 2017 and we'll have to replace the transmission. Seems extreme.

I've been searching around these forums and I've only found one or two posts that are related to this issue. Do the possibilities stated by the dealership seem plausible?

Here's some extra background info: 2 months ago, warning lights came on and the car wouldn't start. 12V battery tested low and was replaced. No problems until yesterday, when I started it up in the morning. The master warning light, the hybrid warning light, and a bunch of other lights were on. The car wouldn't go into into drive or reverse-- only neutral. I stopped and restarted it a few times and only about every third time could I get it to move. I read somewhere that it could be something as simple as low oil, so I checked and it needed a quart of oil. I added it, and the warning lights went away. Drove it without a problem. It's due for an oil change this week anyway.

This morning the warning lights were back, with the same issue of having to restart about three times before I could get into drive or reverse. The warning lights that stayed on were the master, hybrid, and check engine. Hence, my trip to the dealership to check codes.

Any advice? I'm not a mechanic, but I like to make informed decisions and I DIY whatever I can. Thanks!