1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Owners driving illegally on HOV lanes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jesart, Apr 1, 2007.

1. jesart

jesart Junior Member

I saw a Red Prius the other day driving solo on the HOV lane without any HOV stickers or a Fast track transponder. :eek: They were driving Southbound on I 15 in San Diego. The driver noticed I had mine. I guess some Prius owners feel that they could get on the HOV lanes without those stickers..., I'm wondering if a cop would pull them over, or just let them slide because they're driving a Hybrid.

Anyone out there using or used the HOV lanes illegally because you drive a Hybrid??

I'm sure there's a few owners out there a bit upset that they didn't get their HOV stickers. I probably wouldn't risk it! I'm glad I have mine! :)

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jesart @ Apr 1 2007, 01:35 PM) [snapback]415993[/snapback]</div>
    Since you OWN a Prius, you're inclined to notice them more (say for example, compared to Buicks). Fact is, tons of folks break the DMV laws every day, but since they're not in your associated group, you're less likely to take note of it. Sometimes too, kids may be in the back seat (laying over ... etc, who knows) in cars that appear as solo ocupied. Shame on Me !!

As to the Q re: have I done it? Prior to getting stickers, yes ... probably 7 or 8 times right before getting off the 5 & 405 fwy junction in O.C. because it really loads up there. Just prior to the junction is an offramp for carpoolers. By jumping off there, a car can literally save 15 minutes, by avoiding the next offramp, just 700 yards down the road.

3. opus17

opus17 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've noticed this, too. I get to see it a lot, since my hybrid doesn't have the stickers, so I get to watch the HOV traffic pass by while I'm stopped.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got stickers.

Never done it. I waited until my stickers arrived.

5. thepixiesarah

thepixiesarah New Member

Sometimes I'm really tempted, as I count the prii that pass me in the HOV lane (usually in the teens) as I drive to work on the 5. I've even had non-prius owners suggest I should and would probably get away with it. I just don't want to risk it, though.

6. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Here in downtown Norfolk VA they let hybrids park in metered spots for free. That is the only thing I take advantage of but then I think it is the only thing there is to take advantage of here.

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In CA, even with stickers, you are not allowed to drive solo on the HOV lanes of the non-Federal-funded expressways. How many people CA Prius owners know that?! I see many fellow Prius drivers with stickers doing that everyday on may way to work. <_<

8. Stilview

Stilview New Member

Let's not forget the Virginia rules...you MUST have the Clean Special Fuel plate appropriate for the traveled HOV lane to ride solo. Just having a Prius (or other hybrid, for that matter) without the CF tag doesn't cut it...regardless what you may think.

9. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Apr 1 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]416268[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I believe this was changed when the law was ammended to extend the program:
    21655.9. (a) (1) Whenever the Department of Transportation or a local authority authorizes or permits exclusive or preferential use of highway lanes or highway access ramps for high-occupancy vehicles pursuant to Section 21655.5, the use of those lanes or ramps shall also be extended to vehicles that are issued distinctive decals, labels, or other identifiers pursuant to Section 5205.5 regardless of vehicle occupancy or ownership.
    (2) A local authority during periods of peak congestion shall suspend for a lane the access privileges extended pursuant to paragraph (1) for those vehicles issued distinctive decals, labels, or other identifiers pursuant to Section 5205.5, if a periodic review of lane performance by that local authority discloses both of the following factors regarding the lane:
    (A) The lane, or a portion thereof, exceeds a level of service C, as described in subdivision (B ) of Section 65089 of the Government Code.
    (B ) The operation or projected operation of vehicles in the lane, or a portion thereof, will significantly increase congestion.

10. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stilview @ Apr 2 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]416284[/snapback]</div>

Wait a minute I didn’t know we had any laws like that. I never drive in the carpool lane because I don’t want a ticket.

Were and how do I get this plate/ sticker thing?

11. mgundel

mgundel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 2 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]416316[/snapback]</div>
    DMV Link

You can use HOV in the Hampton Roads area and some HOV lanes in northern VA.

12. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I admit it.

I drive in the HOV lane in Miami, and I don't have the sticker. However, there are so few Priuses out here, I think the cops have been embarrassed pulling over one-passenger Priuses with stickers, that now they just let em all through.

13. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Apr 1 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]416268[/snapback]</div>
    That used to be the case but the law was amended through California Assembly Bill 1879 to rectify this "oversight". The amendment was signed into law by Arnold back in September 2006.
    All HOV lanes in Califolrnia are now fair game.

14. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Martin Gundel @ Apr 2 2007, 06:38 AM) [snapback]416347[/snapback]</div>

Sweet! :D

thanx

15. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jesart @ Apr 1 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]415993[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the FasTrak transponder was only required for SF Bay area vehicles to receive the clean vehicle sticker for access to the HOV lanes.

I waited for three or four weeks after getting the car before receiving the stickers and did not attempt to use the HOV lanes before then.

16. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Apr 2 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]416381[/snapback]</div>
    It's not good to press your luck illegally driving in that lane. In the eyes of the law you are just as illegal as anyone else riding in that lane who shouldn't be... and they might hit you harder for getting a hybrid and refusing not to get the sticker thinking you won't get a second look.

If it's anything like Northern VA, the cost of the sticker is essentially your payment to ride in those lanes and if you don't pay it, you are stealing the service. In NOVA, you can't ride in a hybrid in that lane unless you pay extra cash for the Clean Fuel plates during registration.

Yes, I've actually seen several Prius' pulled over with cops and flashing lights when they don't have those license plates. Tough to explain in court that you didn't know they hybrid laws when they are very thoroughly reviewed during each sale...

17. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've never seen a cheater hybrid, in 30,000 miles of commuting since I got the sticker. Today it was a Mustang. Usually its big-nice person 4 door trucks, or the ones with contractor's compartments in back. I guess, I'd just say "Get over it". People who cheat on HOVs probably cheat on their wives, the IRS, at work, and everywhere else they can. Miserable lowlifes!

18. lytthans

lytthans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nope. I waited for the stickers. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but when I think about breaking traffic laws, I'm the one who'll get caught, not the other guy. I've been honked at, flipped off and tail gated by clowns who don't like hybrids. And that's when I'm driving over the speed limit. The other day a twit in a large pick-up came up behind me and started honking and blinking his lights. He then passed out of the HOV lane - over the stripes - and then cut right back in, while flipping me off. What he didn't notice is that there was a CHP guy just behind me in the fast lane. The twit got nailed big time. I wonder how much it cost him? Let's see.... speeding, tail gating, reckless driving, and, of course, two carpool violations. There is justice after all!

19. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Clarinetist @ Apr 3 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]417251[/snapback]</div>
    Life is good! I see the same thing many times a day (minus the CHP part) !

20. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That's funny, I thought about that today. I usually have children with me and for some reason they count for the carpool lane. The big fat extra fine would keep me from doing ith, though I've occasionally risked it anyhow but jumping out of gridlock over the double yellows into the HOV hoping not to get caught. That risks the same fine as any other carpool violation.