1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid performance gadgets

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 3ddan, May 24, 2008.

1. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The ROTF I understand, what is the "ttatla" part?

ZC1

2. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've only had the EV mode for a couple of days (from Costal Tech) and so far it's performance has been sporadic at best. It does seem to work now, but keep in mind it will not help you get better MPG and it is not designed to do so. It's really only a novelty. It allows you to move from the garage to the street (why I boght it) without the gas motor coming on. Or it allows you to drive a mile or two (if the batteries are WAY charged up) on just electric (under 34 mph) to demonstrate the cars electric capability.

Bottom line: don't expect the EV Mode module to be any more than a novelty and (very) occasional extra tool to keep the motor from coming on. Even so, I think it's worth the $45 it cost for just that. If you get one that works regularly. Do a search. Some priuschatters have had issues with coastal tech standing behind their product. I couldn't get mine to work properly when first installed (seems to have worked out whatever problem there was by itself) and sent Coastal and email and left a message. It's only been a couple of days, but they have not responded to either.

3. MagneticGrayIndy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You know, I'm starting to suspect different cars and different situations create different results... I have to say after two years of owning my Prius that I get MUCH better mileage between 45-50 than any speed below that (except when in pure EV mode of course). I don't know why it's true, but it is. For me.

4. MagneticGrayIndy

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Indianapolis is pretty flat and I can consistantly get get several sequential periods of 75mpg at around 46/47/48 mph. Any ideas why?

5. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that your poor results below 45 MPH are due to factors other than the speed of the vehicle, especially:

• Short distance (poor MPG when ICE isn't warmed up yet)
    • More stops than your 50+ MPH trips (non-expressway, stop signs, stoplights, and traffic)
    Certainly different situations create different results. That is the basis behind the YMMV disclaimer.

Where I live, I have the option of either the expressway, or low traffic volume, minimal stops, rural roads for 30 miles of my commute. Setting cruise control at 55 MPH on the expressway, or 40 MPH on the rural roads, in similar weather conditions, I get better MPG on the rural roads at 40 then I do on the expressway at 55. I suspect you would too.

6. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The chart I linked to indicates approximately 70 MPG between 46 MPH and 48 MPH. Any of a slight tailwind, a slight decline, or a HV battery that is charged above 60% could easily account for the 7% increase to 75 MPG over 5 to 15 minutes.

Note that when I drive at or below 40 MPH, depending on the weather and terrain, I'll frequently end up with between one and three 5-minute MPG bars that are unrealistically high while the vehicle makes extensive use of the battery, followed by one or two 5-minute MPG bars that are disappointingly low while the vehicle uses the ICE to get the battery charge back up. Because the Prius can borrow a bit from later, or save a bit for later, the MPG bars (and even the total average for a short trip) are not a reliable indicator of how much energy you are truly using. You really need a single really long trip, or the average of several consecutive trips with similar conditions (terrain, weather, driving style) to know one set of variables gives better or worse mileage than another.

You could drive a 5 minute segment at 35 MPH with rolling hills spaced just right and a 15 MPH headwind and see the 5-minute MPG bar at 38 MPH, and then turn around to head back at 40 MPH to find that your next 5-minute bar maxed out (100 MPG)

7. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Life Alert ® - Why do seniors need Life Alert?

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OMG, slair, are you alright? :eek:

How many fingers do you see? :peace:

You're gonna make it. :deadhorse:

HELP IS ON THE WAY. :car:

9. poulekodak@hotmail.com

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hola.

Do You Think That A Brown´s Gas Generator Could Be Installed In A Prius, If You Consider That It Is Not Good To Produce And Maintain This Highly Explosive Mixture In The Air Intake Will The Gas Motor Is Off. How Sould Be Connected To Produce This Mixture Of Hydrogen And Oxygen Out Of Water Only When The Combustion Engine Is On?

Jean In Dominican Rep.