1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Previa/Estima - would you buy one if available?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Jimtak, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 19 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]481894[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah..it's not available in North America.

2. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 2 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]416833[/snapback]</div>

I agree that there is a huge market for some type of very ( extremely? ) fuel efficient minivan. Honda will bring out it's diesel Ody within 18 months. Toyota has the new Sienna due out this time next year. I expect that both will offer an option.

I think the Ody will be more efficient but it will be a hell of a sell for them to get the public into diesels. I think they can do it though. The Sienna will be much easier to 'sell' if it isn't too costly. I think it will be the 3.3L+HSD which is very very good in the HH, but just OK in fuel efficiency. If the HH can get 26-28 using it then I'd be shocked if the new hybrid Sienna ( THS ) didn't also get 26-28 as well. It sure would be nice to have it get 30 mpg+ though.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeadPhish @ Jul 19 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]482006[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think Honda will have any trouble selling a diesel Odyseey. Having driven many examples of modern diesels in Europe, you can't tell the difference when you are sitting inside the vehicle. There is no more noise or vibration than a gasoline car, and at highway speeds the cabin noise is less because the engine is turning lower RPM's. So all the sales rep needs to do is have the buyer take the car for a spin and then say, "Oh, BTW, it's a diesel and so it gets 30 to 40% better mileage."

As a owner of a diesel vehicle, finding diesel at a normal fuel station is no longer a problem, you don't have to pump with the semi's anymore. I've only had to resort to that twice in 140K miles. In fact, on my recent 2400 mile motorcycle trip from Birmingham, AL to Milwaukee, WI I had a hard time finding Premium for my BMW. All the rural gas station that I saw had converted to just Regular Gas and Diesel. Twice I had to put in a gallon of 87 octane to get me to another gas station so a could fill up with 91 octane.

Oh, and no, I have no interest in a hybrid mini van. The Prius is as large of a car as we would ever need. If I was to purchase another car it would be something the size of the Smart fortwo, VW Polo, Ford Fiesta, etc. Honda has me interested in their new smaller hybrid. It absolutely must be a hatchback and get better than 60 mpg.

I have also thought of just converting a S-10 to electric instead of waiting for a commercial electric vehicle.

4. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Edit: Deleted Double Post

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 19 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]481894[/snapback]</div>
    They're not sold in the U.S.

My sister could have used one. They have a van they use for their two boys and any other kids carpooling. But one had graduated and is looking to move out and the other will graduate this year. So they won't need the van any more.

However my parents will eventually be in the market for a new car. My Dad was set on a Lexus, but I know cost is an issue with my Mother. They're not interested in the Prius (unless maybe gas starts to hit $5 a gallon). They might be interested in the Camry but I have a feeling the lack of trunk space would be a deal breaker. The currently drive a Caddy and like the luxury of that, so if Toyota would make one of their larger car a hybrid without losing too much trunk space that would be the car for them. They want leather, adjustable seats with memory, bunwarmers, all that fancy stuff.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Attached Files:

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 23 2007, 09:55 AM) [snapback]483620[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry... 30km?!?!? Did that car sit in the garage for 5 years?

otherwise, if it's mechanically sound, then ya it is a steal!

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 23 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]483721[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it sat in the garage for 5 years, most Japanese cars do. You are using US / European logic and applying it to Japan were it does not apply. Most Japanese do not even have the option of driving to their jobs. For example when I visited the headquarters of the Japanese company that I worked for based in Osaka, they had 9 parking places. Those were reserved as follows:

1: Company Van
    2: Company Limo that picks up the owner / president
    3-4: Visitor parking
    5-9: Some senior staff members that choose to drive.

This was for a manufacturing facility that employed 500 people. Everyone else walked, road a bike, road a motorcycle / scooter, took the bus, or took the train or some combination of these. However, driving was and is not an option.

Most of the Japanese that I know only use their cars to take family trips to the countryside or to visit temples or parks outside of the main city center. If they were going anyplace in the city or from a major city to another major city they take the train. Owning a car is more a status symbol than a true mode of transportation.

The advertised car is probably also getting close to the point that it cost more to own that a new car. Let me explain. The year cost of Japanese car registrations are based on many things but one of them is the age of the vehicle. The older the vehicle the more it cost each year to register. At some point it becomes more expensive to keep an older car then to buy a new car. You will find lots of quite new, low mileage used cars for sale for very low prices in Japan for this reason. Most of them end up being sold overseas. This policy achieves two things. First, it creates a steady new car market for the Japanese automakers. Second, it quickly turns over the vehicle fleet so people are driving newer, safer, cleaner, more fuel efficient cars.

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Correction: 30,000 km (20K miles)

Wonder how much it'd cost to have it shipped over here, plus tariffs and other expenses.
    If it ends up adding an extra $10K it'll still be a pretty darn good deal.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jul 23 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]483741[/snapback]</div>
    I'm fully aware of that. A friend of mine whose parents is live in Japan have a 1995 Corolla with 50,000km on it. My 2005 Prius has 53,000km lol.

30km over that many years is something I'd be worried about.

As we can see in the correction, it's 30,000km. That sounds more like it for a 2002 car.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I was showing Priapus at Hybridfest, I had the seats folded in order to show the hauling capacity of the Prius.

There were a number of people expressing interest in a North American hybrid minivan.

12. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why not import the JDM models and convert them to left-hand drive?

Its not too difficult or expensive, particularly since there are so many left-hand drive estimas (non-hybrid) available.

Left-hand drive cars get converted to RHD all the time in Japan, UK and down here.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 24 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]484325[/snapback]</div>
    No need to convert. We can run RHD just fine. There's no law that requires vehicles to be LHD.. well at least in Canada.

14. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 25 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]484453[/snapback]</div>
    Well if that's the case, I'd skip the Previa/Estima and go for a Hybrid Alphard

[attachmentid=10098]

Attached Files:

15. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 24 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]484325[/snapback]</div>
    It is VERY difficult. The JDM models are not DOT or EPA compliant. To legally import and register a JDM vehicle for use on public roads in the US you have to prove that it meets all DOT and EPA standards. This is very time consuming and expensive. People do it to bring in rare cars and very expensive cars but I doubt there is much of a market for Estima's

Take the Smart fortwo as an example. Zap cars was buying Smarts in Europe and importing them to the US. They paid millions to prove that they meet EPA and DOT standards. They then spend thousands per car converting small things like headlights and such to meet US standards. They ended up with SMART cars that started at $25K. Smart will be selling the cars directly next year for $12K to $17K.

16. samiam

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Jul 25 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]484493[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, I don't want to make a short story longer than it needs to be, but it was easy to bring cars into the US before I left (unless you were bringing in new cars or cars with the intention of selling them). At the docks customs officers simply looked up the model of the car to see if its allowed in (i.e. meets the applicable standards), which the shipper should have found out before they shipped it, and then follow it up with a physical inspection for roadworthiness and to make sure the vehicle is as described in the paperwork. I and others of my acquaintance brought in mini coopers from NZ, a volvo from sweden, a porsche from Germany, etc. It wasn't expensive and was cheaper than buying the same car in the US. So what happened to change it all in the past dozen years? Terrorism? :blink:

It works the same way bringing cars into NZ, there's a checklist at the docks, followed by a vehicle inspection, followed by registration (I know the EPA and DOT are great ;) , but standards in Japan, the Europe & NZ are equally as stringent in most areas and more so in others).

So I wonder if there's an individual out there who has imported a vehicle into the US recently that could let us know if its still feasable?

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samiam @ Jul 24 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]484468[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah but if it's 15 years or older, it makes it much easier (no need to worry about bumpers, DRLs, emissions etc).

All the JDM cars we have here (Toyota LC Prado, Toyota Sera, Honda Beat, Suzuki Carry, Toyota TownAce, Nissan Skyline R32 [all models] etc etc) are 15 years or older