1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Racing stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caliprius83, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziggo

ziggo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jun 13 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]270778[/snapback]</div>
    Just so everyone knows this bike gets about 30MPG. If you want to say bikes get 30MPG you need to realize what you are getting.

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos...2FF38FFE441.htm

Half the efficiency and half the 1/4 mile time. Bone Stock runs 9.6-9.9. I personally would take the pretty decent mileage and the 1/4 mile time. But everyone has an opinion.

My first bike would get 50+ MPG and I wrung its neck. My current one stays above 40 and will run (according to other tests I havent been to a drag strip) a 13 sec 1/4 mile easy.

2. LTBlackBird

LTBlackBird New Member

3. caliprius83

caliprius83 New Member

Ok, Comparitively american cars handle like shit. American cars have been and always will be primarily straightline cars, with the "handling cars" being the european.
    also, a prius will do wel against a 80's mustang 5.0 uphil and on a turn, 5.0 mustangs like moast american cars are fast as hell in a straight line, but they can not turn.
    and as for the motorcycle, yes i realise that they are much faster then the prius i was meerly stating that the torque of the prius of the line was impressive enough that I was able to keep up with the bike till he shifted at which point his power band kicked in.
    and to the person who wants to race me, i supose i am up for it.
    Lastly, I am pleased of all the people who poasted on here, it actualy has surprised me quite alot at the number of poasts. and the fact is that moast of us are just curious as to how our car matches up in the automotive world.
    B)

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 13 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]270817[/snapback]</div>
    Look, to all the people who are coming in from other forums... not all of us Prius owners are as misguided as this guy. I know Prius would not do 'wel' against a mustang 5.0 'uphil' or on a turn, and I know that 'moast' American sport/sporty cars do handle well.

Sigh.

5. caliprius83

caliprius83 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 13 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]270822[/snapback]</div>
    infact sadly my prius brethren, you are wrong. because it did happen. and american cars are ment to go fast in a streight line and then take the line away from the cars that handle blocking them through the turns. i have been to a race track and seen how these cars handle. american is v8 agressive power in a strait line. european is handling and finess. and asian is alil of each.
    well i know you will think what you will, but i did what i said i did. and i do realise that outside of these circumstances the prius would have no chance.

6. LTBlackBird

LTBlackBird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 13 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]270822[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, all this crap about solid rear axles not handling well, ummm no. A properly set up solid rear is just as good on the track as an independent rear set up, the indepents main advantage is ride comfort, it ubsorbs bumps a lot better then the solid rears. And again, look at the new Corvette ZO6, it goes around Top Gear's track faster then Lambo's and Ferrari's.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can simply *stow* your street-bully little "challenges", okay?
    Enjoy your vehicles as you choose. Example: I'm helping with a
    gig up in Laconia, over Bike Week, and there I am in my Prius
    mixin' it up with the hogs and choppers to get on and off site.
    While some of the guys might actively scorn the "cagers", sure, I've
    been finding that I can actually chat about hybrids and harleys at
    the same time with them, and they're amused when I imply that my own
    vehicle enjoyment is largely silent -- they can make the noise for me.
    I don't disrespect how they have fun on the roads, and don't expect
    them to disrespect how I do. It's not like I'm about to try racing
    them, f'krissake.
    Lighten up, and spare us the pseudo tough-guy talk. It's OLD.
    _H*

8. lambo

lambo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 13 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]270817[/snapback]</div>
    NICE! compare your current car to a 20 year old car.

amazing. f'in amazing...

9. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 13 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]270827[/snapback]</div>
    Did you skim over my post? Let me quote myself:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 10 2006, 02:28 AM) [snapback]269086[/snapback]</div>

as you can see, the camaro outperforms a plurality of cars on the road course. Both Japanese and european, and as you can see the vette does even better.

BTW I've been meaning to ask you guys this- How do your farts smell? You guys should tune in to comedy central at 10 pm (est) and check out the show they will be playing, it will really inspire you, i promise ;)

10. StealthZ

StealthZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 13 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]270817[/snapback]</div>
    You have absolutely no clue.

American cars can't handle? Why don't you tell me who won Sebring this year? Oh yeah, Team Corvette dominates their class. They consistently blow away Team Ferrari, Team Aston Martin, Team Porsche, etc. The Corvette C6R went on to win its class at every race it entered in the 2005 ALMS season.

I know what you're going to say. "That's a race car, American street cars can't handle well." You are wrong in that respect too. Go look up the top times from Nurburgring and tell me what cars can do it in under 8 minutes. The 2006 Corvette Z06 did it in 7:46, just a few seconds shy of a $400,000 Porsche Carrera GT. The 06 Z06 wipes the floor around a road course with Porsche Turbos, Lamborghini Gallardos, Aston Martins, Mercedes (including the SL55 AMG), BMW M6s, Lamborghini Diablos, Ferrari 575's, etc. I could go on forever. So check your facts next time you decide to make such a blatantly incompetent statement such as "American cars handle like crap." Whether on a road course or in a straight line atleast one american car (the 06+ Z06) is toatlly dominating some of the best cars Europe has to offer.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To be fair, that's the only car. Tiff Needell of Fifth Gear (ex racing driver from UK) actually liked the Z06... that's about it. They usually mock the others. In another comparison, they preferred the standard Corvette over the Viper so yes, be proud the Corvette is American cause it's a darn good car for what it's worth but that's about it.

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 13 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]270865[/snapback]</div>
    That may be true... but I have a odd feeling a G6, Fusion, Malibu, Cobalt, Focus, or what have you is going to run rings around my Prius (or any Prius) on a skidpad. Or stop much better. And whatnot.

It's not just the 'vette that handles well.

13. Stoic

Stoic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 13 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]270817[/snapback]</div>
    Great, what day and time works best for you? I work Thursday-Monday, but anytime after 9pm works for me. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are all open too. I'd much rather race on an industrial road because racing on streets with traffic is dangerous and reckless. Also, if you're available late at night, the highways are usually open and good for some 40-100mph races.

I'm dead serious btw. Name the place, day, and time, and I will be there with a camera.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius133 @ Jun 12 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]270283[/snapback]</div>
    Beat Prius in what? Speed? That's not important and I don't care and I don't want more!! How much do you care about low emission and high mpg? That's how much I care about excessive speed and power. Get it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius133 @ Jun 12 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]270283[/snapback]</div>
    Old dogs can't learn new tricks!! Get up to speed with technology for your kid's sake. Wait, you have a kid or two right? I hope so.

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SLH350 @ Jun 12 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]270296[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, power is not the only part of the equation to win. And the question is, win what? Less time? Less fuel? Less skill? Less sense? hahaha

After all said and done, FWD cars still out sell RWD and muscle cars are just a tiny bit of the market. Do you know how many Viper do they sell a year in US? I bet you Prius sold more than the Viper! lmao...

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 12 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]270343[/snapback]</div>
    Well within error of margin. At least 5-60 time is not slower than 0-60. You will find all muscle cars spec this way. It is just wrong! Why did you guys accept that 0-60 should be faster than 5-60? Why should highspeed driving give better mpg than slower driving? Get those underlying assumptions out of the little boys inside you! How old were you when you accepted this awefully twisted facts?

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SLH350 @ Jun 12 2006, 11:42 PM) [snapback]270348[/snapback]</div>
    Face the facts, your car sucks. Not only it wastes gas and pollutes the environment, it is the most boring car. Same old same old speed, power, G, etc... obsession. It is not healthy dude! If you want to be addicted, try sex, not gas fumes.

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hybrid Battery Acid @ Jun 13 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]270357[/snapback]</div>
    Your name is oxymoron you know? Honda and Toyota hybrid battery do not have Acid! There are no Lead either. Go educate yourself with modern technology hahaha.

Dennis

15. moleman

moleman New Member

First off, I love your grammar. You know that there's a spell checker in this forum, right? Second, you seem to think that the Mustang is the only American car around. You mention the 80s. Ever heard of the Fiero? It was a mid-engined car produced from 1984 to 1988 by Pontiac. The engine is right behind the passenger compartment, just like the "well-handling" European cars. Plus, it doesn't sport a heavy V8; instead it has a V6 with more torque than HP. It's no Corvette, but its handling is better than "moast" American cars.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timeformegaman @ Jun 13 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]270376[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, that act of "charging" up before the launch is cheating. It is a fair comparison if you are racing manual vs. manual for speed and time but who cares about those. The minute you compare manual vs. eCVT for speed, it is cheating. Comparing a manual tranny car revving ICE while eCVT car at stop with ICE off is just wrong. That's why 5-60 time is a better comparison and many of you know it.

Racing for pure speed is so... caveman.. Le Mans introduced tune/gas up time in the pit. Hybrid should bring the fuel economy to the race soon. Fueling less means less time in the pit, etc...

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RomanDad @ Jun 13 2006, 01:59 AM) [snapback]270396[/snapback]</div>
    It is almost time for dreams to come true and nightmares to begin!! Let the clock tick!! hahaha

Dennis

17. moleman

moleman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 13 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]270703[/snapback]</div>
    Oooh, fear the taxi Prius that still has the original battery at 200 kilometers. Man, you say the most classic things...

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muscle Car @ Jun 13 2006, 09:47 AM) [snapback]270454[/snapback]</div>
    Oh really? You think you know uh? Hybrid battery pack has warrenty for 10 years 150k miles here. It was designed to last for the life of the car. Even if I want to drive this car for twice the typical "lifetime", a new Prius battery pack is cheaper than 4-speed automatic transmission. How long is auto tranny warrenty and life expectation? Please, connect two dots. hahahaa

Little electric motor/starter? :lol: :lol: :lol: How much octane are you sniffing? Prius motor and starter are at least 50x more powerful than your car's tiny starter/alternator. Prius has 67 hp, 295 lbs-ft electric motor. Does your start has one horsepower? hahahah

Dennis

19. pacman099

pacman099 New Member

Interesting read. :lol:

If your trying to push your prius's to the max, wouldn't that obviously result in a greater fuel consumption? How much would it effect the gas mileage. I would buy one only for the fact that it gets good gas mileage. If I had a prius I would keep a gasser for having fun and toying with.

Linked in from another forum...

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorqueDog @ Jun 13 2006, 10:40 AM) [snapback]270478[/snapback]</div>
    I said that. I said Prius doesn't have a transmission. What I meant was, Hybrid Synergy Drive used in Prius does not have a dedicated hardware just for the purpose of properly transmitting power to the wheel. Ok, I lied. There is hardware to do that and it is the whole hybrid powertrain. So where is the eCVT? You can't tell. It is the whole package. Confuse yet? That's not my intend.

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GSDApollo @ Jun 13 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]270563[/snapback]</div>
    LS600h with SULEV and high 20's mpg will own your nice person with style. Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle will clean the air entering the intake and exhaust it out with clearner air.

The fuel usage of LS600h will be so little that your car will be like a firetruck full of water. Let's just call it a gasoline carrier because it weights the most in your car. Just like garbage truck which carries garbage. Your muscle car doesn't carry people but a tank full of a lot of gasoline. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The driver should be considered part of the powertrain because work is required from this human bio organism to shift gears! hahahah Just let the silicone chip do the job! The sad part is.... these shift slaves love their job.

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timeformegaman @ Jun 13 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]270593[/snapback]</div>
    With Toyota becoming No.1 (not bragging), and every line up will be available with HSD option, I would say it will not be just a niche market.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.