1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Racing stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caliprius83, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The CVT is not a niche transmission lol

Civic, A4, VUE, Versa, new Sentra, Murano, Escape Hybrid and the Mini Cooper all have CVTs as options or as the standard transmission.

Btw, the Fiero was a bust, don't even mention it. I'm sure you'll do the General and Pontiac a favour :lol:

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muscle Car @ Jun 13 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]270650[/snapback]</div>
    I am going to bust your chops too. In HSD, gears and associated parts is the whole hybrid powertrain. So the hybrid powertrain and transmission (eCVT) are one the same! You can't call it a gearbox. Since transmission was invented out of a need (engine alone was not suitable for all speed) and HSD powertrain is self-sufficient, we say it doesn't have any transmission (rather than HSD doesn't have powertrain).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muscle Car @ Jun 13 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]270650[/snapback]</div>
    If you can't figure out why people enjoy going around speed limit then go fly a jet like the other poster suggested. You should not be living on the ground hahahah... Why are you even typing infront of a computer? :lol: :lol:

Fast cars = freedom? That's your defination. Mine is Efficient cars = freedom. Anyone who enjoys fast cars should be playing GT3 on PS2 in jail. Hey, my opinion is as good as your. :D

Dennis

3. 10MilesperGallon

10MilesperGallon New Member

Thanks for this thread guys, alot of other boards have had a fun time laughing at you. You make the kids who believe F&F is realistic look smart.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SLH350 @ Jun 13 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]270714[/snapback]</div>
    Speed doesn't insult. Implication does. And it is just an idea and for who those cares. The same way you don't care about emission and high mpg, the same applies to excessive speed. Shoving your idea of "speed rulez" has no affect on us.

Obviously, high gas prices must be affecting you!

I also notice that all of you gas carrier drivers post messages during the day. Do you guys have a day job? One has to wonder... hmmm... Do they have internet access in prisons? Implication hurts isn't it?

Dennis

5. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

I think it would be really cool to get a bunch of Prii at Daytona and gas them all up and have them race to 600 miles on one tank.

You go too fast, you run out of gas; too slow and you don't win the race.

Alas, the race might take 12 hours or so....

In my city + suburb driving, I think the Prius performs well. Once I really hit the gas and was amazed at its low speed acceleration. Does it really take all that time to go from 0 to 60? I sure couldn't tell while driving it in normal traffic.

Also the aerodynamics are terrific. I can get on 395 going down a mild grade and have it accelerating in the 50-60 mph speed range with my foot completely off the gas. I keep pace with the traffic around me and the mileage bar is maxed out at 99.99.

65 mpg measured at my last fillup, BTW. The warmer weather is definitely helping. It probably should been 50 mpg as the computer said, but the bladder has its quirks.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoic @ Jun 13 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]270722[/snapback]</div>
    Both of us with A/C full blast with cars at rest. Who will run out of gas first? :rolleyes: hahaha Winning is just not speed cavedude!!

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 13 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]270781[/snapback]</div>
    You don't have to give up something to do something good for the environment. That choice was not availble when regular eco cars were available. I purchased Prius because there were no comprimise AND it is saving the natural resources and reducing the emission. On top of that I save on gas, insurance and get tax credit back. Everything adds up to my favor AND the environment.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 13 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]270781[/snapback]</div>
    Good, so it should be easy for you to access many patents. Check the following who owns them and why Ford and Nissan license them.

I can get you more but that will keep you busy for awhile.

Dennis

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10MilesperGallon @ Jun 13 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]270928[/snapback]</div>
    You guys keep bringing up this "other boards" but you never identify them nor yourselves. What are you hiding, or afraid of, if you're so right?

Then there's this strange 'F&F' and 'lmao' and 'multiple smiley faces' language some of you use. Then the horrible grammar and writing. Don't the kiddies visit those types of forums?

What's the average age in this mystery land called 'other boards' - something like late teens to early twenties?

The good part is at least it's more entertaining over here for you guys to become regulars. Welcome!

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius133 @ Jun 13 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]270796[/snapback]</div>
    So what's the big deal with 11.3 and 4 seconds? Can't wait 5.3 seconds? Do you know how long you are going to live in seconds? hahahah Having 500hp, 600hp, etc... is so stupid. It only gives you bragging rights to those care and matter. Most people don't care. What's the market share for the caveman low tech muscle cars? Obviously overwhelming number of people prefer Camry, Accord, and Altima. Guess what? All three have/will have hybrid option :lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are meaningless.

The only thing that counts is the efficiency.

Dennis

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hybrid Battery Acid @ Jun 13 2006, 09:21 PM) [snapback]270842[/snapback]</div>
    The link doesn't work. What are you comparing? Is speed the only thing matters to you? Do you care about responsiveness? You must, if you are getting old and can't shift like you used to... HSD makes shifting a thing of the past. Shifting is old and doing it yourself is not necessary anymore.

Dennis

9. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 13 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]270781[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't see any previous posts that proved that the Prius doesn't handle well, has poor midrange acceleration, and isn't agile. Again, take off the blinders here and read the posts for what they say. No one says the Prius compares in any of these categories to a sports car, but to a car in it's class (4 dr sedans). The Prius is just as capable of weaving in and out of traffic as the next sedan (if not more so) with it's small exterior footprint and it's quick (again relative here) 30-50 mph acceleration. Not to mention that critizing any vehicle for only being about to go 25 mph faster than the fastest speed limit in the US seems ludicrous.

As far as #2, no one, not even the original poster said that in a true 1/4 mile or 0-60mph race would the Prius beat the automobiles mentioned. No one here on PC is suggesting that the Prius is in the same league as a sports car, as it isn't meant to be.

Clearly none of the visitors would probably call any stock 4cyl door sedan, fun, so I really think all of this aggression to the vast majority of people who don't share their views (based on the type of car that is the top selling).

10. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:56 PM) [snapback]270935[/snapback]</div>
    Even though this is a retarded argument (as we are talking about street racing, not endurance racing) your car is so slow that we could easily stop at the gas station and fill up, buy a sub, sit down and have a nice meal, and then continue without you passing us.

I dont know what point you're trying to make here, but as you already said, i dont give a shit about the price of gas (i buy premium) or the environment, or hydrocarbons, or natural resources. If you dont understand why guys like performance cars, i'm not going to waste my time telling you. you either get it or you dont. I'm sure you have hobbies, its the same deal.

I'll look at them when i get to work in tomarrow, but i promise i can find some that are not owned by toyota ;)

so now how acceptable our hobby is or taste in cars is dictated by what other people think? you're a huge tool. why are you in a thread about street racing if you care so little about it anyway? Damaged pride from driving a slow piece?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 14 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]270949[/snapback]</div>
    wow... you really dont get it, you should stop posting now. most people who drive sports car dont view driving them as a chore, but a hobby. we do it for fun, and manual transmissions are fun.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pamcan099 @ Jun 13 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]270911[/snapback]</div>
    I bought my Prius not only for fuel efficiency but also for power responsiveness. It is amazing how this car response, considering the ICE makes only 76 hp.

What is wrong with trying to get high mpg without giving up anything? HSD can enable that and some of you don't like that or pretending to dislike until a hybrid to your taste become available. It is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Dennis

12. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 14 2006, 12:21 AM) [snapback]270961[/snapback]</div>

:wacko: you're giving up alot, in fact, the prius sucks in just about every performance category... like you said though, you dont care. wait, why are you posting in this thread again?

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 14 2006, 12:16 AM) [snapback]270956[/snapback]</div>
    I am a responsible guy and I do like performance cars. To me, performance is efficiency, not speed. Rackless hobby and Responsible hobby are very different things hahaha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 14 2006, 12:16 AM) [snapback]270956[/snapback]</div>
    Talk about damaged pride... all of you rushed in to defend your gasoline carrier. It is sweet when an efficient car beat a gasoline carrier in their game while knowing Prius still get 50 mpg. hahahah I am posting here for the same reason you are... to defend what you believe in. Doesn't that shift a paridigm for you?

No need to defend yourself. I can respect your view and hobby etc... Do me a favor, show respect to others the same way also..

Dennis

14. lambo

lambo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 14 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]270949[/snapback]</div>
    that wasnt a link GENIUS. i underlined some words. your smugness must be clouding your vision.

btw the fact that you have to end each post with your name speaks volumes of your personality. you must be an absolute JOY to be around...(<--not a link )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 13 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]270883[/snapback]</div>
    Hey buddy, you're missing a couple of words in that post. talk about educating yourself...

Oh-when you type "hahaha" are you really laughing to yourself? just curious

15. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Before you start insulting someone's intelligence, maybe you should stop and think. Hyperlinks are displayed the same as underlined words in this board.

16. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 14 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]270970[/snapback]</div>
    So your hobby is driving around in your efficient car? What satisfaction do you get out of that?

[​IMG]

is this you?

My car was not mentioned once in this thread by anyone who owns a prius. I'm not defending anything but the truth.

:wacko: what, exactly, does the prius do better than my car? (obviously excluding mpg and pollution)

refer to the first reply and picture.

17. Blu Nova Lambo

Blu Nova Lambo New Member

Wow, the ignorance of you people is amazing. It is people like Dennis who make me wish we had taken care of the hippie population when we had a chance. I respect those of you who are honest about your cars abilities to perform, but some of you seriously need to drop the blunt and have a reality check. Please, for the sake of humanity stop this stupidity.

18. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 14 2006, 02:39 AM) [snapback]270988[/snapback]</div>
    You might be surprised that the satisfaction is very much the same as it is when you drive around. It stems from learning the car and trying to get maximum performance out of it, just as you do. Just as you can watch everyone get left in your dust because of a big engine or perfect shifting technique, I can leave everyone in your dust becasue of a big brain (by being able to anticipate the light change, the traffic flow and utilizing your momentum). (The big brain part just made a catchy sentence, before anyone tries to read too much into it).

And then to top it all off, a person arrives at their destination more relaxed and secure in the knowledge of having been a safe, defensive driver. I for one can't wait to take a long trip across town to see how much I can increase the mileage by. It is a whole lot of fun.

19. Every_Mn

Every_Mn New Member

From a 2004 issue of Car & Driver... for the 04/05 Prius...

0-30: 3.4/1.9 (Mustang)
    0-40: 5.6/2.9 ()
    0-50: 8.2/4.0 ()
    0-60: 11.3/5.2 ()
    0-70: 15.3/6.8 ()
    0-80: 20.5/8.7 ()
    0-90: 27.6/10.6 ()
    0-100: 39.6/13.2 ()

Not very good. I believe that someone earlier in the thread mentioned beating a Mustang GT in their Prius- not likely. Anyone in a loaded-down GT auto can hit 60mph several 10ths of a second faster than a Prius hits 40mph. Now, a Viper or an Enzo. Sure, the Prius may have ~250ft-lbs @ 1200rpm... A Viper has more. Probably more like 300ft-lbs, maybe 350. And once you start getting the high revs, like above 3500rpm, it's over. EDIT: Oh wow, it takes 1.5s less for a 'Stang to hit 30 than a Prius! I'm shell-shocked!

5-60: 11.3/5.9 ()
    30-50: 5.5/10.2 ()
    50-70: 7.9/9.5 ()
    1/4mi: 18.3 @ 76/13.8 @ 102 ()
    Top: 104mph/149mph ()

Look at it this way: You just might be able to beat a Ford GT from 30 to 50... Of course, GT's have crappy gearing, so it's not surprising. Also, 18.3... That's only slighter (1 or 2sec) better than what an early 30s Model A would do. Congrats, fellow people. You beat a 70 year-old car. EDIT: I dont... I can't believe it. You mean the Ford has 45mph on the Prius? I can't be.

70-0: 184ft/183ft ()
    Skidpad: 0.76g/0.87g ()
    moderate understeer/moderate understeer ()

This is about the only area where the Prius is impressive. And even then, just barely. Wow, you have about as much grip as a 70 Shelby Mustang. Never mind the Mustang weighs nearly 4000lb and is riding on tires just good enough to qualify as donuts... EDIT: Good lord- a foul-handling pig of a car outhandling our beloved Toyotas? Say it ain't so...

Here's what I like: Price as tested was approximately $24K. Ya know what kind of vintage GTO I could get for that price?

EDIT: now with vs an 05 Mustang GT!

20. *Rotor*Smog*

*Rotor*Smog* New Member

My God, this Dennis guy puts out enough smug for the whole forum. I see a lot of people on this forum know what they are saying and simply appreciate their hybrids for what they are, but one guy seems to feel that the Prius is the be all end all of cars. lol.

If every car didn't have to be shifted manually then I would be a dead man. Automatic transmissions put me to sleep, literally.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jun 13 2006, 09:12 PM) [snapback]270955[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 4 cylinder sedan that I would consider very fun. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.