1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Racing stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caliprius83, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKKINU

SMOKKINU New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Feb 16 2006, 01:13 AM) [snapback]210336[/snapback]</div>

I highly doubt the mustang, or the bike were racing you.....

2. incogneto

incogneto New Member

Felt compelled to come over and let you all know that in regards to any prius in existence beating a so called crotch rocket, mustang up a hill, or a....excuse me while I laugh......Viper in a race..........

Here we go.....

[​IMG]

3. caliprius83

caliprius83 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SMOKKINU @ Jun 9 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]268560[/snapback]</div>
    ok, it was up hil and around a turn, the prius does infact have better handling then a 5.0 mustang, and the guy said sompthing along the lines of " dang man is that thing stock ?" ofcourse in a straight line i wouldnt beet a mustang gt but a 6banger i could. as for the bike yet again i will state, the prius kept up with it through his first shift. which is still impressive if you ask me. but any ways believe what you want.

4. prius&gt;civic

prius&gt;civic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 24 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]229738[/snapback]</div>
    your smokin somethin if you think there really are 2 hybrids *under 300 hp(which hybrids arent close to anyway)* that can "smoke" a 500 hp, 500 C.I. V-10 viper.

5. SMOKKINU

SMOKKINU New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 9 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]268693[/snapback]</div>

I dont care if it was up hill with another prius with a 150 shot of nitrous pushing you....your full of it. a 5.0 stang isnt a 6 cylinder, and he probly was not racing you. a 5.0 mustang is a 15 second car bone stock i do believe....thats 3 seconds quicker then a stock prius. 3 seconds is ALOT in drag racing. My car is a 12.9 second car, bone stock. and as it sits right now....an 11.00 second car.

Either that, or he was a tool, down 4 cylinders, and eating Junior Johnson Pork Rinds (SP?) while driving.

As for the bike, a 600cc bike, though a baby bike, in 1st gear, still hit 65-70mph....and ALOT quicker then any prius could ever get up too.....he wasnt racing you, and thats that.

Hell, i could race a 600cc bike in my 400+ HP Trans Am and would probly have trouble keeping up with a 600cc sport bike...why? they only weigh 300lbs or so.... :mellow:

good lord, one of you claim to beat a damn VIPER?

let me go grab my boots...shits getting deep up in here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Mar 15 2006, 10:17 PM) [snapback]225441[/snapback]</div>

in your prius? :lol: your full of it....bigtime. i'll give you a 15 car head start, and the kick, and still beat you out by 10 cars at the end.....

6. caliprius83

caliprius83 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SMOKKINU @ Jun 9 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]268895[/snapback]</div>
    ok yet again up hil and around a turn the turn being the crucial parts. MUSTANGS like all american cars do not handle. yes they go fast in a straight line, but they do not go fast around a turn and that is where the prius can beet it. so you are wrong.
    as for the bike, you idiot bikes dont get to 60 in first gear.
    any what ever believe what you want i know what i know.

7. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scott p @ Jun 9 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]268866[/snapback]</div>
    He said two EVs, not hybrids. Torque wins races, not necessarily HP. One of the cars Darrell was probably referring to is the X1. 236 HP and you can watch it race on the video here:
    http://www.wrightspeed.com/index.html

8. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 9 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]268896[/snapback]</div>
    Ignorance is bliss, i see? I guess I'll start from the beginning, as this post is riddled with fallacies and ignorance, but don't worry, i think i can help. I'll start with Domestics and handling, as this was probably the stupidest thing i've read all day. 2006 Corvette z06 anyone? Hell, both the c5 and c6 are examples of fine American automobiles that Handel quite well. But let us assume that those are out of your price range, how about F-Body's? You know, those slow, loud polluting machines, those rednecks and their trans ams and camaros. Well golly, what's this? oh, it's jimbo handing you your nice person.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...5&page_number=1

well isnt that odd, the measly american muscle car beat out the S2000, Boxster S, BMW M Coupe, and the SLK 320. I guess what I said was true then, perhaps you should do some research, or have a general understanding of the subject before spouting off random bullshit, hmm?

Bikes dont get to 60 in first gear, hm? Most modern bikes will easily hit 60 is first gear, and if not they come damn close, so i guess it turns out "what you know" is actually nothing.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kawasaki_ZZR1100_D1__Review_5427703

thats odd, this guys bike hits 72 is first gear.

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showth...43&page=1&pp=15

:eek:

a topic about 1st gear top speed

03 gixxer 1k - 93mph
    04 zx10 - 103mph
    04 r1 - 98mph

hmmm, who should i believe, the guys who own the actual bikes, or some idiot or a prius forum...

I'll end things here for now, if you would like me to continue just keep posting random bull.

9. Tudds

Tudds New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 9 2006, 05:31 PM) [snapback]268896[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe you are new to cars in general but to make these claims in absurd. Your car has 80hp at the most and weighs 3000 pounds. Not trying to flame but maybe you should know your enemy alittle better. You are driving a gas saver economy car, not a rocket ship(even if it does look like one)

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tudds @ Jun 10 2006, 06:34 AM) [snapback]269112[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the Prius has 104 hp (76 hp engine, 28 hp battery), but is rated at 110 (probably due to the peaking capability of the battery and electric drive). Its wierd, I know, and hard to believe for somebody who has not experienced it, but the electric motor has allot of torque. I mean, when is the last time you drove a car that had the engine could run at at 5000 RPM at 15 mph and get all that power to the wheels (and not turn the clutch cherry red)? Allot of that engine power is coming through the motor, besides the geared path to the wheels from the engine, in fact. That is why the Prius has a 60 hp motor - to handle the engine generated and battery provided electricity simultaneously. The combination of engine and motor has about the same torque as V8 turning on-cam, available at 15 mph.

And besides, the Prius does not waste any time switching gears. An automatic takes about 350 msec to do this, and the average manual driver about 750 msec. Yes, there are some manual transmission setups , with the right touch, you can nearly equal an automatic transmission shift speed. I have done this myself. But, still, that is 1.05 seconds (.35 times 3 gear shifts) of the 0 to 60 time of ZERO ACCELLERATION. So, unless you are driving the latest VW (others?) double clutch automatic transmission car, the Prius has a good transmission effects advantage.

I think the one who is new to car things is you. My experieince is that between 15 and 55 mph, the Prius drive train is as effective as a large 4, or a V6 in a car with all the weight of a structure to support a V8 (Like a Mustang), even though the horsepower is less. The Prius sweet spot being above 15 mph (after the engine starts) is why the performance specs do not make this situation obvious.

As far as handling, cars designed for 70 mph plus handing on a smooth highway, with a front engine rear drive configuration are notoriously poor cutting a sharp corner on local streets (with all the loose stones laying around). The only race enviorment that matches is the road rally. When is the last time you saw a rear-wheel drive car win a professional road rally? Its been like 30 years now, eh? The Saab rally driver in the 70's put this to bed. By applying gas in the curves, the front wheel drive driver can control for under and over steer. Whereas the rear-wheel drive car driver is just along for the ride in the sharp corners. Rally has gone on to all-wheel-drive due to the race car level of power burning up the front tires. The main reason rear wheel drive cars have favor by some people is high-speed handing on a high friction surface. Which is rarely the situation in the daily metropolitan comute to work.

11. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jun 10 2006, 09:54 AM) [snapback]269144[/snapback]</div>
    This paragraph completely boggled me, let me enlighten you. Your car is rated at, lets say, ~300 torque, with a whopping ~100 horsepower, making peak horsepower at 4200 rpms. In case you didnt know how horsepower is calculated, here is the equation: horsepower = Torque X RPM / 5252, so that means at 4200 rpms your car is only making ~ 125 torque, which means from idle to 4200 rpms your torque rating is dropping like a rock, therefore, at 5000 rpms your car is making even less power. Now, we can compare your car to mine, shall we? My car makes 400 hp and 390 torque to the wheels, so thats ~460hp/448tq at the crank. My peak power hits at around 6200 rpms, which means i'm making ~390tq, so my car makes more power than yours all throughout the power band, in fact, at idle my car probably makes more power than your car, therefore "holding all that power" happens around 1000rpm for me, and well above that at throughout the rest of my rpm range. BTW, i do NOT easily around town, and as of yesterday i got 19.5 city mpg.

interesting you should say that, because your car still takes 9.8 seconds to hit 60, whereas mine does it in the 3 second range. that means i could give you a 6 second head start and still beat you to 60. wow your car is impressive.

thats great, the sweet spot for my car is around 45, because i havle little to no traction in first gear. you're assuming that all cars are run in perfect conditions when tested except yours, when in fact they are all run in very similar conditions, yours just happens to0 be slow as shit.

when was the last time an prius won a rally event, or was even entered into one? this is the most retarded argument i've ever heard, you drive a prius, not a rally car, or any kind of car designed to do anything except save gas.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 10 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]269222[/snapback]</div>
    a few links for your read-it-and-walk-away-with-your-tail-between-your-legs pleasure...

2nd gen prius rally cars
    http://irishcar.com/toypriusrally.htm
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?f...php&carnum=1374
    http://www.rallyplanet.com/?pid=9256

plug in prius (3rd gen)
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/05/prius_phev_to_r.html

bonneville salt flats- landspeed (3rd gen)
    http://www.technologynews.info/001192.html

3rd gen race car
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?+s...2&page_number=1

random review:
    "Let's talk performance: Sure, the Prius is a front-driver, but its launch off the line is electric. Literally. And 100% of the Prius's 50 kilowatt power pulses to the front wheels the moment you dip into the throttle. Can you imagine what an on-demand burst of 50 kW feels like? Neither can I, but I do know that in a 0-6-mph drag, my Prius will slam your Ferrari Enzo back onto the porch."

yes. that's power right off the line. more than an Enzo? hmm.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Colum...rticleId=104484

high hp does nothing for your acceleration without torque. hp affects your top speed capacity, sure, but torque is what gets your nice person off the line by putting power to the wheels. electric motors are well known for providing massive amounts of low-end torque. combine that with a pretty decent battery and you've got some power on your hands, if only for a few seconds.

combine that with a continuously variable transmission (no shifting) and there are advantages in initial acceleration. through an intersection, a prius can beat damn near anyone. not in long distance. i'm talking jamming on the gas through an intersection once the light turns green, a real short distance kinda thing.

oh, and comparing electric motor torque directly to gas engine torque is just foolishness.

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 10 2006, 01:16 PM) [snapback]269267[/snapback]</div>
    This explains why I toasted that F250 with his engine revving but his a$$ dragging the other day!! This car continues to surprise me on a nearly daily basis!

14. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the prius is really good off the line, at the red light, floor it, its fast!!
    well, not THAT fast compare to other cars, but sure u can do a lil "traffic light drag racing"

15. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 10 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]269267[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, I'm shocked someone actually wasted their time and money doing this, thin i looked up the results of the raced it participated in and, as usual, wasnt surprised at all:

http://www.winternet.com/~mr_n64/prius/pages/racing.htm
    Placed 22/22 National entrants
    Placed 21/22 National entrants
    Placed 9/12 Regional entrants
    Placed 16/16 Overall, 10/10 Regional entrants
    the last few races were DNF and they didnt bother showing up, i wonder why. :rolleyes:

did it ever do better than this ?( seriously, i dont care enough to look)

Why did you post this? This isnt even a traditional rally event, but demonstrates high gas mileage and low emission cars abilities.

neat, my gar hits 130 in 4th gear out of a 6 speed transmission. not impressed.

uhh... neat?

So in this random guys opinion he is quicker off the line than an enzo? Yeah, my nice person. How about posting up some actual facts, backed up with credible sources. Then again, i wouldnt want to cloud your nonsensical delusion with facts, so i'll leave that up to you.

Wrong, fastest acceleration is the most power throughout the power band. BUT, lets look at some actual numbers instead of random stuff you felt like posting.

Prius:
    Acceleration, sec
    0-30 mph 3.1
    0-40 mph 4.9
    0-50 mph 7.1
    0-60 mph 9.8
    0-70 mph 13.3
    0-80 mph 16.9

Enzo:

ACCELERATION, Seconds
    Zero to 30 mph: 1.5
    40 mph: 2.0
    50 mph: 2.9
    60 mph: 3.5

wow i'm shocked, the enzo kicked the shit out of your car, why did you even bring this up? Lets look at my car (when it was stock)

Trans Am WS6
    Acceleration: 0-30 mph: 2.08 sec. 0-60 mph: 4.94 sec.

you lose again.

new civic?
    0 - 30 (sec): 2.5
    0 - 45 (sec): 4.3
    0 - 60 (sec): 6.8

yes you still lose. you car isnt faster than anything.

comparing a prius to anything is retarded, i dont know why the rest of the people on this site dont see this. a sport car which is normally accelerating is about equal to your max acceleration, they werent trying.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 10 2006, 06:25 PM) [snapback]269303[/snapback]</div>
    "The Toyota Prius Hybrid car in the toughest test yet successfully finished and won the P2 class at International Rally of Quebec, second round of the 2003 Canadian Rally Championship."

didja read that one? of course not.

you notice he said 0-6 mph.
    did you post a 0-10 mph number, even? oh let's have a look... that would be a no.
    i bet he as a car reviewer has driven an enzo more often than you have, buddy.

the key words here are OFF THE LINE- did you see me claim that a prius could keep ahead of anyone PAST the intersection? no. i said short term. and none of us claim to be able to dust an Enzo... that was some car reviewer... my own story was against my husband in his camry. you, on the other hand, are trying so hard to be a knowitall and none of us are all that impressed. and if you don't realize there is a difference between gas engine and electric motor properties i suggest you go learn some physics.

bye bye now. :rolleyes:

17. prius&gt;civic

prius&gt;civic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 10 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]269306[/snapback]</div>
    0-6??? 0-10??? you guys really are hilarious. Listen, I own one of these things, and I'll tell you right now. the handling is nowhere near the level of my camaro or trans am. its stupid and clumsy. the speed, well, you feel nothing in your stomach in the 0-10 range. in any of my other cars, you feel like your stomach is going to fly out your nice person OR your mouth. you dont know which lol. no but seriously, it is slightly quicker then i expected it to be, but i expected it to be a little faster then an EZ-GO golf cart. and whats all this stuff about torque? your saying the reason its fast is because of torque not hp? thats what american car guys have been saying for decades. the europeans have more hp than torque. mustangs, trans ams, gtos, camaros, etc all have more torque than hp. high torque+high hp = better than so-so torque(bullshit)+no hp.

how much torque is there in a prius anyway? yall keep sayin its there but i havent read any actually numbers

and who races 0-10? does that count as a victory if your ahead before the end of the interection?

18. Kenny H

Kenny H New Member

Is this a joke? Staying with sport bikes, running with Mustang GTs....

If anyone of you live in North Carolina let me know. I have your milk right here, its white, and a size 11.

I'll run anyone of you from street light to street light barefoot. You can be on whatever tire you want, whatever battery you want, you can put a flux capacitor in that POS for all I care....who is game?

19. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 10 2006, 06:43 PM) [snapback]269306[/snapback]</div>
    No, i obviously didnt read that, otherwise i would have posted it. I'm not ashamed of being proven wrong, but like i said, i didnt care enough to continue looking after the horrible results from the first link i found. BUT, luckily for me, i found this:

http://www.bensrallypage.com/results_03/quebec_03nat.html

it finished 21st overall, out of the 22 cars that finished and was the only car in the P2 class, try again.

Uhh 0-6? 0-10? I doubt I could find this information, as you are seemingly the only ones who care. if you can find me some actual numbers, instead of the usual wild speculation, i might be able to put forth enough effort to find some competing numbers.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Instead of pulling specs from your arse, check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prius

Gas engine: 76hp @ 5000 RPM, 82ft/lbs of torque at 4200 RPM
    Electric motor: 295 ft/lbs torque 0-1200 RPM, 67hp from 1200-1540 RPM. Even at it's 6000 RPM max speed, the electric motor is capable of about 55hp (2004 NCF guide).
    Combined rated HP: 110hp. However, gas engine @ 76hp, and battery @ 28hp only equals 104hp.
    Top speed: Electronically limited to ~105mph due to electric motor (MG2) 6000 RPM Max speed.

Note, the battery only provides 28hp, the gas engine + generator makes up the difference for electric HP, which is why you can't simply add 60+78hp together.

To the non-believers: What people here are trying to say is that due to stand-still torque off the line, the Prius has the *potential* for quicker launch through an intersection than it's specs would lead you to believe. I've raced quite a few cars off the line, and the Prius pulls ahead on most "average" cars until the "average car" builds towards it's torque/power peak in first gear. There are some exceptions, such as other econo-cars. I was messing around w/ a Suzuki Aspire, and they couldn't catch up period.

However, when up next to a late model Corvette - I didn't stand a chance. Hell, any run of the mill Hemi powered Chrysler smokes my Prius.

So yes - the car can make for a quick off the line launch (especially if you floor it w/ brakes engaged just prior to launch), but once you're out of the electric motor torque peak, game over. That torque peak is over at about 20-25mph, at which point it's more about the gas engine's torque peak offsetting the fall-off in electric twist.

I won't say the guy who beat the stang is full of it, but those who are looking at the Prius on paper only are also incorrect and give the Prius less credit than it deserves. It's no slow poke, but it's no Ferrari either. But the best part is, even at full throttle, we don't run rich, so we're blasting far fewer unburned HC's in the face of those who are on the back side of us ;-).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.