1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Racing stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caliprius83, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J3ff

J3ff New Member

Ok guys. Joke is over, come back to the real world please!!!

I'm in CT, with a STOCK 2000 Camaro SS, and I will race ANY of you with your cars on video.

And I'm not talking a 0 to 6 mph race (who the **** would race to 6 mph?)

First thing that's crazy is a Prius out handling a stock mustang gt, or camaro, or firebird.

My 5.0 mustang could take sharp turns like a champ, as my camaro can as well, you just need to have a little more driving skill than the average person has.

Keep in mind the traction that Mustangs and Camaros have due to their tire size, there is NO WAY you can tell me that a car with thinner tires than my jetski trailer will corner better than my camaro.

Hell, I have an electric golf cart that has more aggressive tires on it than the prius does........

Beating a viper through an intersection? He was just playing with you.

I can't tell you how many lil box cars I stay even with up to like 50, and then when I punch it make them look like their standing still.

The original poster has got to be kidding you guys and is probably laughing his nice person off at all the other PRIUS VICTORIES!!!!!!!!hahaha

You're cars are great for what they are, very fuel efficient cars.

However, A VW TDI Jetta gets better gas milage, costs less, and requires less maintence. And is MUCH faster :)

Please get a grip on relality.

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(You're nuts @ Jun 10 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]269303[/snapback]</div>
    I work with the developmentally disabled and they are smarter than a lot of people, they simply have a different way of approaching life. That is the Prius.

Our cars can get an advantage over "muscle cars" quite often, not always because we are faster but because we can go longer than anyone else. Sort like why would a woman choose an 18 y/o, done in 2 minutes, instead of a 40 y/o who knows how to wine and dine her and still have a full evening for "dessert"??

3. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

I guess i can see where you're coming from. You have two types of women, the ones attracted to the younger, faster, high performance model. Then you have the woman who goes after the older, much slower guy that can go a little further on a tank of gas- as long as he coasts down hill and follows other recommended driving patterns. Oh, and dont forget, inevitably, the older man is going to have an extensive open heart surgery, costing upwards ot $10,000 dollars around a decade later, and wont see any monetary savings from the extra MPG because she paid so much for her "40 year old" model over her cheaper, non-hybrid econo-40 year olds.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J3ff @ Jun 10 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]269343[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, doesn't the Jetta TDI take 13 seconds to 60mph? that's slower than the new HCH at 12 seconds but faster than the old HCH, smart and a host of other 1.0-1.2 litre engines.

5. thecaptain

thecaptain New Member

I raced a Prius from a standstill in my 3/4 ton pickup. The prius didn't stand a chance.

I don't see why anyone with a Prius would waste their time racing anyway....that's not what the car was designed for. I don't try to make outlandish claims about my vehicle's gas mileage, so why would Prius owners claim their cars are even remotely fast. Previous posts in this thread mentioned 1/4 mile times as 18+ secs. and 0-60 in 12 secs. (mentioned above). That's excruciatingly slow. That just might be the slowest recorded times ever for a late model stock vehicle. But that's to be expected when you get 60, 80+ mpg!!!

6. SMOKKINU

SMOKKINU New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 10 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]269267[/snapback]</div>

you've got to be kidding me....a prius will blow an enzo away in the length of an intersection?

bring your prius over here, i wanna take your money.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, that's possible. I think for the first bit (can't remember the speed), it's actually faster than an Enzo. Obviously, the Enzo beats it fairly quickly. I really wished I remembered the webpage in which I read that information but ya, it's probably just 0-10mph or something small.

A BMW 116i does 0-60 in 12 seconds and it's an "Ultimate Driving Machine". Don't ask about the mileage but it does require premium fuel.

8. Res

Res New Member

WHY DOES IT MATTER IF A PRIUS CAN BEAT AN ENZO IN A 1 FOOT RACE? GET A GRIP.

9. ZDriver1996

ZDriver1996 New Member

THis is ridiculous... Some of you have no freaking idea what your talking about.... "American cars cant handle (ignorant ricer comment), 18second Prius beating 12 second vipers (viper parked in the parking lot at the time), Off the line torque (only if your smoking the ganja), and racing 0-6mph (wannabe racers suffering from mental retardation).

I really dont know what there is to argue as some have already stated...
    The Prius is very slow 18sec 1/4mile, doesnt handle well (600ft slalom 58.6) (200ft skidpad .73), brakes good though! (125ft 60mph to 0mph.)
    Its an economy car. Its not fast at all.. it doesnt handle well at all.. It was never meant to be fast or does anyone in their right mind believe its fast or even quick for that matter.
    300ft lbs of torque to 1200rpms is worthless in a race. You have no useable powerband.

Ive driven nearly every type of car on the planet. All the cars mentioned.. Enzo's, Vipers, Vettes, and yes evern the all mighty Prius etc... and own a stock accord and a 500 horsepower camaro z28. For anyone to put the Prius in even 2 classes below these Super cars has to be mentally challenged... I refuse to believe that there are people out there that are this stupid. Because if these stupid people reproduce then God help us...

10. deedeedee

deedeedee New Member

"To the non-believers: What people here are trying to say is that due to stand-still torque off the line, the Prius has the *potential* for quicker launch through an intersection than it's specs would lead you to believe."

potential isn't reality, sugarbutt...and that caliprus83 kid's gotta be on some durned strong stuff. dude, pass some of that over here...i want to see my car beat a bike, too!

11. J3ff

J3ff New Member

[​IMG]

(thanks mecdeth)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Feb 16 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]210336[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi You're Nuts,

Well, I find it odd that you agree with Htmlspinner, when he made similar comments to mine.

I did not say anything about the Prius beating your car.

If you put a HSD (Hybrid Synegy Drive) transmission in your car of sufficient capacity (even with a small Prius battery to act kinda like a capacitor) to handle your full engine output, anybody with a car like yours is now would not stand a chance in a 0-60 race. You might need to convert the car to all-wheel-drive to avoid melting the tires, however. You know 1500 ft lbs of torque has that effect. They are even building Electric Drive Train locomotives these days for the same reason. Actually, they been doing that for 60 years.

All we are trying to say is that we commonly catch performance car wanna-be's by suprise on the road every once and a while. Cast-Iron engined, V6 's in cast-iron V8 cars are the usual victims. These cars are built heavy and have a significant performance detriment, unless they have the full-up engine. In a car, weight ripples through the whole design. Build an engine lite, and the car can be lite. Build the car for cast-iron V8, and a cast iron V6 in it will suck.

Build the car with no engine, and it will beat $200K Porshe's and Ferrari's in a quarter mile drag race (Wrightspeed X1), even giving those cars a running start.

With a cast-iron V8, the polar moment of inertia of these rear drive cars is so high, they need extra power to corner. Being front wheel drive, the Prius can apply power sideways at the front of the car even beyond the point of slip. A rear-wheel drive car cannot do this.

I do not agree with the other Prius people on here about the 0-10 mph performance. Its not until the engine comes on, but still at low speed, 10 to 55 mph, that the Prius is suprising in acceleration, for the power of its prime-mover.

So if there is a road regime where the Prius will have an advantage , it will be uphill, in a curve, with a reverse cambered roadbed, with a few pieces of gravel, at about 25 mph.

Want to know the achille's heal of the Prius? No engineering technique is perfect, and the same goes for the Prius, let alone 80 year old clutch and transmission technology in your car. Its cold weather. At 10 F, the Prius battery has almost no power.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that zero-to-six comment was a flippant thing made by some car reviewer. he was trying to be funny. i tried to run with it, but apparently we have some humorless people coming from whatever board you're all swarming here from. who the hell says 0-6 mph and means it seriously? damn.

dude, how many times have i said that i could beat a freakin mustang... or your precious pontiac... none! i went up against a 4-cyl camry and made it through the intersection before him. and yes he was racing, it was my husband and he challenged me. i said the prius has an advantage for maybe 20 feet. in no way does that translate to winning any kind of race against anyone. you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill on that one.

even if i had money to waste (i'm in grad school, people) i wouldn't take your challenge because i know i wouldn't beat your sports car in a prius.

now that i've cleared that up for those of you who can't take a joke... :rolleyes: i'm out.

14. SMOKKINU

SMOKKINU New Member

awesome, so now its all a joke.....

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the zero to six thing, yes. you're great at generalizing though, i'll give you that.

16. prius&gt;civic

prius&gt;civic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 11 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]269513[/snapback]</div>
    haha we're used to so many honda, toyota, mitsubishi, etc. owners sayin that kind of stuff and being serious. there are some stupid, stupid ppl out there. some of the guys on these boards sound like they have gay love for their cars.

"how could it get any better?"

well, i can think of a lot of ways.

17. ZDriver1996

ZDriver1996 New Member

You know, this is all just a by product of people wanting to believe that they have something that they actually dont. Im not trying to belittle anyone about their prius. I should probably be thanking you, especially since it is your gas saving cars that provide more gas for cars like my 12 second camaro to burn. But lets be realistic, racing through an intersection is not a race. I mean unless the guy does a drop clutch launch, he still rolling off the clutch by the time hes gotten through the intersection. And if hes still doing that, then he IS NOT RACING. Unfortunately, this has become the ricer mentality, and it seems like it is expanding into the ever so innocent minds of the eco-box driver. As for the rally car comment and how front wheel drive cars were superior to rear wheel drive and all-wheel drive was the result of ever increasing power to the front wheels, well, your a dumbass. If you ever watched marcus gronholm and those guys in WRC, rallying is basically a controlled drift. kicking the rear end out allows the car to carry more speed through the corner. this simply cannot be done with a front wheel drive car simply because of physics. Asking the front tires to both corner and acclerate a car is simply asking too much. a rear wheel drive car is much more suitable for any racing application, street or track because the front tires only have to worry about handling, and the rear only have to worry about accelerating. the only way a front wheel car can drift on through a corner is either a handbrake or a stiff suspension set up (i.e. RSX). Of course in rallying, both of those are a counter effect in acheiving fast lap times. You have to use a handbrake for a longer duration of time in a front wheel drive car to acheive over steer, thus goin beyond just controlling the direction of the car and actually slowing it. And a stiff suspension will only tear the car to shreds on a rally course. rear wheel drive eliminates the need, or most of it at least, for a handbrake because u can simply use the rear wheels to rotate the car, while at the same time providing forward momentum. All wheel drive obviously provides more traction but that extra traction makes it harder to rotate the car in rallying, thus requiring the use of a handbrake. Im sorry, but of all the blasphemy that has been spoken on this topic, this was the dumbest comment of all time. Hopefully someone comes out with a cure for ricerism soon, because i must say, i fear for the future that my children will have to live in. Oh, and i beat a Prius out of a parking garage last night. Yes he was stuck in a line of cars that was moving on the third floor, but i knew he was racing me. needless to say, i was able to walk down three flights of stairs and beat him out of the garage on foot. may god have mercy on your souls.

18. milkster

milkster New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Feb 23 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]215355[/snapback]</div>

Hey guys I've just been getting into my car and finally decided to post. I also post on another racing forum that involves more traditional race cars because of my other car. I thought you guys should see this thread. A mustang V8 owner got beat by a prius, way to represent!! Prius's can be pretty quick with a decent driver!

It was in Texas though, anyone from here?

Here's the link

http://www.texasracingscene.com/showthread.php?t=27145

19. zackkahry

zackkahry New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jun 11 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]269473[/snapback]</div>
    Please show me where I said I agreed with him? You can't, because I don't. I complimented him for giving an honest rating on his cars power, even I didnt know some of the stuff he posted, but corrected him aswell. just because something "feels" fast, does not make it fast. Like a previous poster said, you have basically no usable power band when racing, your car handles like shit, can not win a drifting competition, and can not win against a 5.0 mustang, even if its in your "perfect conditions"

20. ZDriver1996

ZDriver1996 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Jun 11 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]269473[/snapback]</div>

Man you people know how contradict yourselves. You say that cast iron blocks are heavy and creat a high polar moment of inertia, yet you neglect to mention the fact that your car is about a foot and a half shorter than most cars with a cast iron v8 or v6 and still weighs almost 3000 pounds. and yes the x1 will beat those high end cars, but lets try and be a little intelligent, the x1 is not an everyday production model. its a one off. apples to oranges my friend. yes its a great accomplishment for an electric motor, but in terms of an everyday vehicle its completely useless. porches especially can be driven everyday, then taken to a road course where you lay some stupid fast lap times, then driven home, of course after picking up some steaks and drinks at the store on the way. so when an electric car gets developed that can do all that, then we can talk. but until then, please, stop talking.

Oh ya, that whole HSD stuff is all bs. If you really want to get power out of your car, just switch your batteries from AA to D cell. Thatll get ya a couple volts. You also might want to think about changing the kind of cheese that you feed your mice. i heard they like american better than swiss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.