1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Racing stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caliprius83, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LTBlackBird

LTBlackBird New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gbgirl79 @ Jun 11 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]269713[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, i mean the Prius is good for what it is made for, not the best, but good, and that is Gas mileage, when you start comparing 0-6 mph times then you've gone way too far

2. gbgirl79

gbgirl79 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius133 @ Jun 11 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]269725[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty much. The enzo used for comparison, or any other sports car for that matter if its on tire and grabs on launch rather than spins will definately hit 6mph faster. But none of them will ever get 50 mpg which is why I bought the Prius for daily driving. And it definately leaves me wanting for another sports car!

3. ZDriver1996

ZDriver1996 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gbgirl79 @ Jun 11 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]269713[/snapback]</div>
    Um no, people arent gettin nasty, they're going crazy. when it comes to cars and performance and race talk, theres nothing more aggravating than listening to someone who does not know what they are talking about babble on about their ride. They talk and talk and never back it up. I understand some of your arguments, but cmon, this isnt even really an argument, this is just insane. U even have Prius owners calling it BS. I know they are quicker than they seem, but a homeless kid in africa whos never seen a car could tell you that a 180 hp automatic will beat your prius. I dont normally like to get involved in stuff like this, i usually just let unintelligence do its own thing and keep my mouth shut, but this was just to good to be true. ive read some pretty dumb threads, but this is by far the best. Ive almost actually enjoyed this. I mean the crotch rocket thing... LOL... the show has definately reached a new low.

4. prius_racer

prius_racer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZDriver96 @ Jun 11 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]269755[/snapback]</div>
    After it was posted that a Prius runs a 1/4 in the high 17s, all Prius owners should have stopped talking.

Have any of you even been to a drag track? I have been many times and I think I have only seen maybe 5 cars (probably out of around 100 total) that ran over 17 flat. That is just such an awful time, even 16 is really slow. I have seen many "poor handling" american muscle cars miss a gear, or have some type of malfunction at the drag track that caused them to cut the gas, and then they still normally run under 15 after they hit it again.

You guys need to pull your head out of the sand. A prius is just good for saving money on gas.

5. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 11 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]269684[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius theoretically has no delay with downshifting, but in practice it takes just as much time for the ICE to rev up as it does for a normal car to downshift.

6. RomanDad

RomanDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 10 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]269306[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't count on that....

This thread has been linked to the premiere exotic car website in the world, and we are having a hell of laugh at this nonsense....

Newsflash... Im guessing "You guys are nuts" owns a Lamborghini??? As do I.... And we have several members who own and drive Enzos quite regularly.

O-10MPH??? There would be no way for us to know... Our speedometers dont REGISTER THAT LOW.... And Thats not a JOKE... If we let the CLUTCH all the way OUT in first gear (without giving it any gas) we go FASTER than 10 MPH... Youre talking to people who own cars that go over 60 MPH in the time it takes you to get to that magical 10MPH mark (which I have NEVER seen referenced in ANY car review ANYWHERE, EVER!)... Some of our cars can go Zero to 100 and back to zero in the time it would take your cars to get up to 60 MPH.

As far as the Viper race- Thats freakin' classic!!!

A Viper with half the ignition wires removed, with a blind paraplegic at the wheel will blow the coffee out of your cupholders....

You love your cars.... Awesome... So do we... But Seriously... If you really think you can outperform ANYTHING else on the road, you really should get your cars exhaust system checked, because youre delusional from carbon monoxide poisoning....

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the viper race was against a 400h on a semi roll start... he couldn't drive, apparently. it was funny to watch though.

8. RomanDad

RomanDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Jun 11 2006, 11:23 PM) [snapback]269825[/snapback]</div>
    See... You still dont get it...

Let me try to make this a bit clearer...

Unless by "He Couldn't Drive" you mean he suffered from some ailment (too short, broken leg, full body cast, couldn't stop laughing because a guy in Prius wanted a "go" at him etc,) that made him PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE OF STEPPING ON THE ACCELERATOR, or some mechanical failure which made him unable to start the car (like the engine seized up because you drained all the oil out before hand or because he broke the key off in the door lock), IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW poor a driver he was... MY grandmother never owned a car in her entire life, but was bright enough to know the oblong peddle on the right meant "go". Without a doubt, she was the WORST driver Ive ever known, and SHE could beat the living hell out of a hybrid in a viper...

From a rolling start (as you say) there really is not a WHOLE LOT OF SKILL needed in a viper to beat a hybrid... This isnt the grand Prix of Monacco! Hes already in gear.... Which is the HARD part of driving a high performance car....

Right Foot on Right peddle...
    CAR GOES LIKE HELL...
    RACE OVER....
    Probably doesnt even have to shift to second gear....

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe you're just retarted... i was driving the 400h. it's much faster than the prius and i was rolling. he didn't expect the take off and shifted wrong. you could hear it. ( he was using a manual J@ack@$$) so i was laughing because he seriously messed up.

since it was manual, i got the benifit in a 400h. He messed up. He didn't know how to drive. that much was odvious. I don't even think he floored it. Then again.. i have the Mark Levinson sound system pretty loud when i drive it. I couldn't really hear anything but my music.

10. RomanDad

RomanDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Jun 11 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]269833[/snapback]</div>
    Nope see... There you go again... Prius/ 400H... It DOESNT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE... A vipers zero to 60 time is HALF of the best Hybrid...

If you "dont even know if he floored it" let me put your mind at ease.... HE DIDN'T. If youve ever HEARD a v10 or v12 engine at full RPM you would understand that... Sound system or no sound system, unless youre deaf, you know its a high output engine at high rpms... From 5 blocks away.

And, "if he didn't expect the take-off" as you say, that means HE WASN'T RACING YOU! If you intend to race somebody you "anticipate the take-off".

YOU may have been Racing him, but evidently, he didnt consider it worth his trouble.... And I can't say as I blame him... I drive a VERY fast car... I dont street race... I think its silly. And dangerous... But If I were inclined to do it, I would have no lack of challengers... Every dumbass kid in a Honda with a bodykit thinks he can take on a supercar.... But... If I were to do it, I certainly wouldn't risk the wear and tear on my car and the danger to myself and others to race somebody who has no business challenging me.

11. gbgirl79

gbgirl79 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RomanDad @ Jun 12 2006, 12:56 AM) [snapback]269840[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty much. Ive never seen a Viper owner on the road that was trying to race anything. Most of them are adult owners and smart enough to keep their high profile vehicle in check. I doubt any of them would risk it for a Hybrid vehicle.

Just soak it in V8CobraKid, and understand that even with missing a gear, the second the Viper corrected himself he would have caught up and passed you and been gone quick enough to put you back in your place. And if your screen name were accurate and you have been behind the wheel of any late model Cobra, you would better understand how the Prius stands up against todays sports cars. Which is, not at all.

12. ZDriver1996

ZDriver1996 New Member

seriously, anything above a scion TC racing a prius or anyother hyrbid would be like clubbin baby seals. it should be illegal. so far weve covered the prius' transmission, 0-6, 30-50, weight distribution, torque, horsepower, handling, and, oh my god, its low polar moment of inertia in city driving. oh and i forgot about the comment of how front wheel drive cars handle better than rear wheel drive because they both steer and accelerate at the same time. I guess ferrari, porsche, aston martin, noble, lambo, mclaren, pagani, bugatti, lotus, and many others really need to step into a TRD studio and find out what theyve been doing wrong since the beginning of cars.

13. SportBikesRFun

SportBikesRFun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Jun 7 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]267716[/snapback]</div>
    you're delusional! The guy wasn't racing, you were. I can lose most any car in first gear most people that think they fast give up while I'm still in first, by second gear they're well in my rear view and my bike is a sport tourer not nearly as fast as a sportbike.
    C'mon a prius is as fast as a viper?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Just save money on gas, stop poluting the enviroment but please stop, you're killing me!!! Oh, man my side hurts from laughing... :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. beenstruck

beenstruck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SportBikesRFun @ Jun 12 2006, 09:44 AM) [snapback]269886[/snapback]</div>

wanna play with a big single supra????

15. CSright

CSright New Member

Well prius owners, you are confirmed worse than the ricer breed. It has been very entertaining though, really. I can't believe with what enthusiasm and fervor you believe that your cars are "fast." They gave a Prius to "The Stig" on Top Gear (if you've ever seen the British car review show) and it was by far the worst handling car they'd ever tested. ever. It is GREAT for what it's intended--gas mileage, but please don't overstep its bounds. I have respect for any car as long as its owner doesn't make up all kinds of stories about it. Don't stop posting your "wins," though--other forums are really getting a kick out of this ;)

16. timeformegaman

timeformegaman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beenstruck @ Jun 12 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]269904[/snapback]</div>
    That doesn't have any real relevance with racing a Prius. The dude is right, most any car he is going to be faster than. I have seen some Supra videos where the guys take out Busas, but it is always from a high speed roll. If you went from a dig on the street with a fast sport bike in a big single Supra, you are going to have a serious problem keeping up, even with slicks and a high stalled auto.

17. beenstruck

beenstruck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timeformegaman @ Jun 12 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]270019[/snapback]</div>
    true it doesnt have relevance to the prius/ but... as for the big single supra's.. the quick ones around here run mid 9's in the 150 range... they rip street bikes out the hole...

its funny to watch them with the bikes...

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Open letter to my fellow Prius and Hybrid people:
    Please eat some crow here. When this thread was isolated to just fellow hybrid people you could stick your chests our and slap one another on the back about how peppy our cars are.

But now a dose of reality has been injected and it's time to face the music. I know I get a kick out of suprising folks on take off that I'm sure expect some slug-like start, particularly the way the torque allows us to jump of and to climb short hills. But these exotic racer guys are dead on. We do not and will not ever have a performance car and pretending we do just makes us look foolish and detracts from the purpose.

In fact, if you read their comments they already misunderstand the purpose of the Prius--they say they are to "save money on gas"....which is about the last reason most of us got a hybrid.

Wanna make some points then pick up the thread at the point where you could convince the exotic racer guys how making a hybrid racer could improve their performance AND their fuel economy. Point out some of the up and coming vehicles such as the GS450h with their sub-6 second 0-60 time and fuel economy in the high-20s is the wave of the future that they should consider jumping on and why.

I love my Prius, I'm proud of it's performance considering my lifetime 53mpg, but it's like tilting windmills to try to defend it as any kind of a racer or performance vehicle.

How about one of you guys make some eloquent technical explaination of how a hybrid system works and can make a car like a Viper even faster and more powerful with even better FE.....make we can "win some hearts and minds" to our cause instead of alienating them.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Allow me to follow Evan's post with an "I concur." The Prius is a fun car but a stock Prius outrunning a sports car? Besides, do you have any idea what they would do to my MPG averages? :D

As I was reading through this post, I wasn't sure who to pity more: the poeple actually trying to argue this stuff or me who HAD to read through it because the profanity was reported to us Moderators.

And now some are you asking: "Where's all the profanity I typed in?" Yeah, it's gone now. I removed it. Here at Priuschat, we make our point with facts and not insults or profanities. We willingly give our opinions and they are just that - opinions. When they are opinions, present them as such. And when you do not agree with someone's opinion, well that's just you're opinion and you should provide a rebuttal as such. But you are debating the information and/or the opinion which means that there's no reason to cuss and swear (that only makes you look foolish and unintelligent anyway).

All are welcome to contribute on PC and this has been an oddly interesting and informational thread, but keep it clean.

20. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 12 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]270066[/snapback]</div>
    IMO, that's not going to convince anyone. Compare the GS450h's performance (and not features/creature comfort) with something like a GTO or an Impala SS which has the same speed and the same economy (achieved via cylinder deactivation) and you'll see why Hybrids just aren't going to matter to that car segment until their advantages become bigger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.