1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Racing stories

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by caliprius83, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lambo

lambo New Member

with exception of those of you that accept reality, you are all insane. ive gone thru 8 pages of absolute BABBLE!!!! you guys are really stretching things to make it sound like your cars can run with the "big boys" please just accept what your lives have become- you want attention so badly, that your willing to drive something right out of "the jetsons" so you can brag to your co-workers that you have to visit the pump less often than they do. Im really happy that you get 56mpg(sometimes), but please, oh please dont act like your car can out-perform(in any way) a REAL car.

now- im not saying this to ALL of you, there are some of you that apparently still live on planet earth, but to the others: (mr. i can out run a viper/enzo/sportbike in my prius downhill from 30-32mph) your driver's licenses should be revoked.

0-6mph comparison <-- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 12 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]270352[/snapback]</div>
    Excuse us for being MEN

2. chilly.

chilly. New Member

I agree with SLH350.

HTftwfw

EDIT* i agree with hybrid battery acid also!

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hybrid Battery Acid @ Jun 12 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]270357[/snapback]</div>
    Real men use their brains and take it to the track in real cars instead of the streets.

Not, whining and making fun of people who didn't ask you to be here in your wanna-be muscles cars from your parent's basement. Then again, you boys don't have much in crash protection either, I believe, so something will get revoked soon enough.

4. timeformegaman

timeformegaman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 12 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]270154[/snapback]</div>
    I am not trying to ignore what you linked, I just don't have the time to browse through them at the moment. That being said, F1 engines produce how much torque at peak? 250ft/lbs? Not exactly much torque there. The CVT itself only has to handle moderate ammounts of engine torque, it is the output shaft and diff/axles that have to deal with the high torque multiplication that is brought on by the F1s ability to use rev happy lower gears. Given that an experimental F1 CVT probably was also built with the strongest (and most expensive components) to mind, I wonder about the viability of using something like an F1 CVT in a mass produced automobile. Again, just speculation. The car companies you posted that currently run CVTs on there automobiles all use them on relatively low torque output applications.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 12 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]270109[/snapback]</div>
    Don't these cars cost in the 6 figure range? I remember reading about one of them in popular mechanics. Hell, iit says they require a deposit of $2000, and then an additional deposits of $18,000. Just as a security deposit? One pricey car, with very little range.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 12 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]270066[/snapback]</div>
    Not all of us non hybrid posters are out to make hybrid technology seem stupid. I know that certainly isn't my attention. I was drawn to this forum because I found a link to it on one of the forums that a frequent, and couldn't believe some of the ridiculous stories made up by the original poster. There is definetly benefit to a hybrid system, but remember, there is no free lunch. A performance car fitted with a hybrid energy system might very well accelerate faster in a straight line, but batteries and electronics will add weight on a performance car, and one of the goals of a performance car is to try to rid itself of all unnecessary weight, which of course adversly affects handling. It is all compromise. Most of the electric componentry could be moved to the center of the vehicle, but on many vehicles this simply isn't an option, as packaging prohibits this. I know if it was my job to engineer a hybrid system to fit onboard the current Viper, I would not have an easy job in front of me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 12 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]270352[/snapback]</div>
    This was a pretty stupid statement. You do realize that "crotch rockets" if driven sanely, often get in excess of 50mpg as well, just like a Prius? It isn't hard when the thing weighs 450lbs. Throw into the equation that a bike is a lot cheaper than a car, and if you really wanted to save gas, this is a no brainer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 12 2006, 11:22 PM) [snapback]270334[/snapback]</div>
    I understand what you are trying to say here, and this is a little off topic, but you would be better off dropping the clutch at whatever the highest rpm you can rev to at, and still get respectable traction. It takes more energy to keep the revs higher than lower, and when the clutch is dumped, most of that energy rushes into the drivetrain immediately, throwing the car forward. Its not about launching at hp peak from a stop. That is why drag racers use heavy flywheels. They may take more energy to spin up, but when the car launches that energy gets sent into the drivetrain.

I am not sure how dropping the clutch is really cheating though.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

6. RomanDad

RomanDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Jun 12 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]270278[/snapback]</div>
    DUDE! There you go back into fantasyland again!

The LS600H wont be released for another year. No actual perfromance numbers have been released yet, and Id be VERY surprised to see anything close to sub 5s on a zero to sixty.... I would bet the real world number on that is going to be in the 6's.

So youre comparing next years wet dream to last year's viper (which comes in ~ 3.5 second in 0-60) and crowing about it?

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys wait untill the Lexus h line is complete. As is, they can make a 6000lb LS600h L do 0-60 in 5 seconds. Not too bad. It puts it up along the V series and high end Mercedes category. The IS will be pretty sweet when turned hybrid. I'm curious what they will do for the SC model.

You guys enjoy bashing our car because it's not "muscle car". it's not about our fuel efficient engine. It's about our tranmissions. As technology gets better, we'll find better ways to run our engines and get a greater electrical boost. As is, we never have a " bad shift" so on curvy roads, we get the advantage.

I agree, we are delusional. We are not as bad a ricers though.

is the GS450h out yet?

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the whole point of the new LS is the weight, speed, and fuel economy. Put that system in a lighter car, and you go even faster.

Like i said... wait untill Lexus is done with the h series.

9. RomanDad

RomanDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Jun 13 2006, 01:11 AM) [snapback]270399[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed... I have nothing against hybrids... If low emissions high fuel economy is your thing, super... Hybrids would be the car for you. I personally dont care about either, so a hybrid isnt on my wish list. My car gets 8 miles to the gallon and smells like an oil derrick. Thats how I know its running right.

I kind of get the sense youre not a real "car guy"? A "gear head?" Sounds like youve been doing other things with your time... Which is probably a good thing! You have a few things to learn about cars, how they work, how they perform, and why one car goes faster than another...

Dont kid yourself... Trannys arent the key to a car's performance... Right now the exotic cars are going through the "6 speed versus F1" debate. I dont think there is any clear concensus on which performs better (A 6 speed in the hands of somebody who can work one is at LEAST as fast as any other tranny) but it does seem NOBODY has worked all the bugs out of the F1s yet... The trade off seems to be the Clutchless F1s are easier to drive in traffic... Thats a concern for some... Not for others...

Dont count on "Driver error because hes driving a manual" to be the difference in a race... It happens VERY rarely... It may happen more to younger guys.... But Ive been driving clutches for 20 years now... I NEVER have a "bad shift"... EVER... Its a none issue.... And... FWIW... Ive NEVER had to replace a clutch and Ive owned one of my finicky little race cars for 15 years now... And it has 100K+ miles on it.

The other problem hybrids will have is the suspension... Or lack therof. Seriously. This is no joke... I have NO DOUBT that your cars can produce more power than the chassis can handle.
    That and the added weight of the batteries, and if you start playing speedracer, youre going to kill yourself.

This was the problem with the goddamned minivans, and the jackholes who couldnt drive those safely! Or the Hyundais who appear to have two throttle positions- OFF OR ON.

Ive driven over 150 MPH before in a high performace sports car and felt ABSOLUTELY SAFE... And Ive driven 40 MPH in a poorly maintained econobox with a dumbass who fancied himself the second coming of Michael Shumacher and felt like I was lucky to get out alive... Those little tires and your suspensions were NOT ENGINEERED for aggressive driving.... Push them, and theyll leave you.

10. Stoic

Stoic New Member

I noticed that the original poster of this thread lives in the Bay Area because his avatar picture is taken in the Marin Headlands. V8Cobrakid is also located in San Jose. I challenge both of you to a race, both on a straightaway and on twisty roads if you really think your Prius has an uber-tight racing suspension.

I'll be driving my 1992 5 Speed Acura Legend Coupe.

I'll film too so we can see your awesome 0-8mph acceleration....and I can't wait for you guys to hang with me like you can apparently hang with V8 Mustangs and Street Bikes.

Let me know if you're willing to show up so we can settle this.

11. stang

stang New Member

You guys that think your Prius's are fast.....are nothing but a bunch of tools!!

ya you beat a mustang and a viper :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(caliprius83 @ Feb 16 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]210336[/snapback]</div>

Dude you are a loser!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Muscle Car

Muscle Car New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 12 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]270273[/snapback]</div>

Alright fair enough I will give most of you the benefit of the doubt that you don't think this car is a drag racer.

I will say this however, quoting magazine numbers is all fine and dandy but we all know just how accurate those rags are. I have personal experience with both vehicles, and can say I was rather surprised by the torque upon acceleration what I wasn't impressed with was the cost of replacing parts. Namely batteries, as well as that little electric motor/starter. Over time you are going to see some of the major life cycle costs of these cars and it is going to get the point very quickly that replacing parts starts to make up for the fuel economy.

When I mentioned the Jetta Diesel before I also stated that it was an average of 55 mpg...that is driving a mojority of the mileage in the city with the AC blasting in mid summer here in Alabama. On the interstate full time it is a much different story with an average of 65 mpg beign attained by yours truely.

Noisey? I don't think you have been in one lately. I have been standing next to one running and managed to not even know it was on. None the less when I first drove one it was so quiet I couldn't even tell that I had down shifted for the up comming turn. Slower as well...I really don't think so I have managed to get both cars lined up being that I have friends with both. With equal weighted drivers, perfect conditions, and everyone having little wild hair in them we took them out for a roll. The Prius cut better 60 ft times at a 2.1 to the Jetta's 2.4 but that can be expected. the Jetta went through the traps at arund 84mph...the prius 78. We are talking a diverence here of about a half a second but more than enough to get the win light.

Enough with this talk it bores me. I love the little pokes and jabs you threw into your comments about me, you half way ensinuated that I was foolish and or ignorant. Hey if you don't like me just come right out and say it, I would rather someone do that and be honest rather than try to cut me down behind my back with childish little insults...it hurts my feelings.

The sooner you all can realize(and some of you have and that is respectable) that the prius isn't a performance car, the sooner you will find that people won't flood your boards and call you on your bullshit. I don't hate hybrids, they are a great idea but certainly aren't the wave of the future nor are they worth they money yet. They are getting there, and in time they will be better and better but they still have a long way to go.

13. TorqueDog

TorqueDog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 12 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]270352[/snapback]</div>
    Did you not just see the dyno graph someone posted a page or two back? Your car peaks at 100 ft-lbs on a smart dyno! Torque means nothing if it doesn't make it to the friggin' wheels! And who was that goof who said your cars don't shift, therefore they don't have transmissions? Is he retarded, it's a CVT!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 12 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]270352[/snapback]</div>
    I'm using numbers and figures that your members have been using, so if you want to lecture someone about their mathematics, talk to your own posters about maybe heading back for some remedial math.

As far as waiting for the new TDI to be released in the US, I don't have to. It's already released in Canada, a friend of mine has one, and it kicks nice person.

And to the guy who is talking about the Lexus Hybrid that isn't even in production yet, 0-60 in under 6 seconds... yes... in a 6000 lb. SUV... riiiight. I'm sure that would take out a Viper from stop-light to stop-light, eh?

14. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(timeformegaman @ Jun 13 2006, 02:11 AM) [snapback]270376[/snapback]</div>
    You know, a bicycle gets even better than mpg than that. And is a lot cheaper than a motorcycle as well. Taking the bus is a lot less mpg and probably cheaper as well. The motorcycle is fine to save gas if you never have to carry more than one passenger or other cargo. Or if you don't care about what happens to you in a wreck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Muscle Car @ Jun 13 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]270454[/snapback]</div>
    You are aware that there has been no stories of a battery having to be replaced from normal wear and tear in a Prius, right? And that according to Consumer Reports, it is one of the most reliable cars one could own? Not so much with the Jetta.

You really should be posting over at tdiclub, they would love your numbers. You would be the highest numbers reported over there. Just as a comparison, the highest tank numbers reported in a Prius in the US is silkshorts at Greenhybrid at 71.8 mpg over 12K miles.

I wonder if they are noiser when there is something wrong? I pulled up next to a newer one (05 or 06) at a stop light recently and it was idling very loudly, even other passengers agreed.

Check out CR revised results here. Even compared to a base Corolla and an average of $2.50 a gallon, you save $400 over a five year period with a Prius. Not to mention that you get a larger, more well equipped car. The money saved at current gas prices ($2.90 average) would be even higher. The Civic Hybrid saved money as well. Apparently in Canada, hybrids do make sense (or at least 6 out of 7 do). Article

None of the Prius owners on here are stating or believe that the Prius is a performance car (in terms of sports car performance), even the original poster didn't say that. Most just reject the notion that it is a boring, slow car to drive, but that doesn't make it a sports car.

Oh, and real men don't need a fast car to feel like one. Real men drive trucks. :D

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorqueDog @ Jun 13 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]270478[/snapback]</div>
    wow.. you believed Toyota's general public explanation. The CVTs you know are cone & belt types. This is a planetary gear set. Go look it up yourself. I can't be bothered.

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TorqueDog @ Jun 13 2006, 07:40 AM) [snapback]270478[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, it's not a CVT in the sense of a belt/pulley. It's an E-CVT. The car is fixed in top gear, and engine torque is manipulated/controlled by load on a second electric motor through a planetary gearset. There is ZERO gear shifting because the gear ratio NEVER changes.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, PriusChatters, time to stop digging. This embarrassing laughter is getting louder. Whoever said 'Prius' and 'racing' in the same sentence needs to read up on the oxymoron thread. The Prius is smooth, comfortable, and great on gas, but it's no racer. It's anemic, hinged in the middle, and has marshmallows for suspension. The best street legal sports cars these days will top 200mph. That's fast. At just over 100mph, the Prius is only half fast. :D

18. GSDApollo

GSDApollo Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RomanDad @ Jun 13 2006, 01:59 AM) [snapback]270396[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, thats a dumb comment. use ur head. now assuming a pro is driving, the viper will hit 60 in about 3.8 seconds and low 12, high 11 1/4. Most people dont know how to handle a 500/500/500 hp/lbft/C.I. car so you can expect a more realistic high 12, low 13. and if that lexus ACTUALLY does hit that kind of number, thats still abotu a second behind just to 60. by the time you reach the 1/4, that viper will be gone. even still, a half second quicker 1/4 mile time, no matter what the trap and time, is a good 5-6 car lengths ahead. thats about what you should expect from a viper on a bad day. realistically though, expect about a second difference in 1/4 mile times, which is more like 10 car lengths. now some people might consider 5-6 car lenghts as "keeping up with him". but, honestly, you just got your nice person handed to you.

19. timeformegaman

timeformegaman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jun 13 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]270520[/snapback]</div>
    What is your point? My reply was in response to someone's assumption that motorcycles get bad gas mileage, when they don't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(micheal @ Jun 13 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]270520[/snapback]</div>
    The original poster certainly alluded to the Prius' "sporting" abilities though. The company the car was supposedly keeping in his post would seem to describe the car as a car with performance capabilities.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Jun 13 2006, 02:14 AM) [snapback]270399[/snapback]</div>
    You guys do realize CVT type transmissions are not new? The Toyota CVT is unique, but it still works to accomplish the same thing. These transmissions have been around for a long time, even in automotive application. They still have not adapted to the market place. I don't know what kind of future the CVT transmission has in mainstream vehicles, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was just a niche transmission.

20. haytor

haytor New Member

Man I love you guys, It's arguments like this that make the internet more awesome by the day. This thread is currently the laughing stock of many auto forums, if you look there are people from all sorts of auto backgrounds all coming in for a piece.

Let me start off by saying, if you own a Prius and just drive it, you enjoy filling your tank only once a month and being eco friendly then my hats off to you, that's fine. you bought the car for it's purpose.

However, if you think you're street racing anything get the &%&* out. You never beat a crotch rocket, not even a 250 ninja, I don't care. Not to mention an M3 you wouldn't of ever had a chance, a m3 could literally do donuts around a prius' 1/4 run! I mean just the idea that somebody would get on and makes shit like this up cracks me up. Stop looking at dyno figures and actually go out and drive your car, I mean this is very simple guys. You're all dilusional.

to the admins of this forum, I'd start running some advertising now and keep this thread open... it might be the best thread of 2006.

edit. I just noticed there is a whole sub-forum dedicate to "Hybrid Racing Stories"

I love you street racers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.