1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Hybrid Shop" recommended not doing a battery test

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dmaxdmax, Aug 8, 2018.

1. dmaxdmax

dmaxdmax Junior Member

I called the Hybrid Shop of the ******* (don't know if I'm supposed to list specific locations) and asked if there were any tests they could perform to measure hybrid battery health. He said there was a test they could do for $50 but he couldn't recommend it since it was a snapshot and wouldn't be useful for determining how the battery might behave tomorrow or next month.

Should I count my blessings that I found a guy who didn't just take my money, or did I find a guy who isn't much of an expert? If I need to replace the battery he will do it for $2,150 with an 18 month warranty.

2005 w/175,000 miles

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he did you a favor.

there is a fairly complicated test in a thread here by skwith that is supposed to be pretty good.
    it isn't something any dealer or hybrid shop would do.
    your guy is right. it's like going to the doc, she tells you you're in great shape, and next week you get sick. no way she could have known.

as far as replacement battery, make sure it is a new toyota battery. anything else is iffy at best.

Raytheeagle and dmaxdmax like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is the pack the mechanic would install a brand new pack from Toyota, or one he built himself?

If the latter, you’ll need the warranty and could spend that money on a new pack and be worry free;).

The easiest way to tell how your pack is doing is by seeing how fast the bars cycle from empty to full. If rather quick (and given the age of your pack), my bet is it will be quick:(.

I’d plan for replacing the pack at some point here in the not too distant future.

Search around here, lots of info on options (y).

edthefox5 likes this.