1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Stress Syndrome (HSS)?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Prim.e.xample, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My title is a little tongue-in-cheek and all in good fun. I don't know how many other people on here get stressed about their Prime MPG, but I thought I would share my experience with it. I came from a 4Runner that averaged 17 MPG. I never worried about MPGs as i knew I would be filling up weekly. But I eventually got tired of driving a bus and not having good maneuverability. I had always liked smaller vehicles (think Celica), so when I saw the Prime I was intrigued. It seemed more upscale than a Corolla, and even though it had some perceived stereotypes attached to it, I found it as a bridge to EVs like so many others.

I got my 2020 XLE late 2019 and enjoyed having an average MPG of 90+ (and increasing) as I worked less than 10 minutes away and could go pure EV throughout the work week. When COVID hit I wasn't phased, but ended up moving this past summer. I am closer to work but had a long stretch of time with the move/unpacking/construction on the new home that prevented me from plugging in religiously like I had been. My average started dropping and entually landed in the 70s. Still beautiful compared to the old 17 MPG, but I was getting stressed about it as I had tried to faithfully abide by the hybrid guide/meter while driving, adjusted the temp to get max return, etc.

When I noticed I had started stressing over it I finally decided to do something about it. So, for the past month or two I have been driving in hybrid mode (it's cold here in Indiana and I feel the EV isn't worth it when you start to add in things like seat warmers and warmer temps for family. I have also replaced the hybrid driving meter with the generic car energy graphic in the dash. In addition, I have also taken off the average MPG and drive till empty as well. The only thing I added was the split screen with the generic battery level graphic so I would have some clue as to when I might need to recharge. I have to say I've enjoyed the car a lot more. Have any of you non-diehards done the same?

2. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have both a 4Runner and a Prime. The 4Runner is my utility vehicle for hauling big, dirty things and when I need 4WD. I have no idea what gas mileage it gets and really don't care. The Prime is used 90% in EV mode and the dash shows it averaging about 110 mpg. I fill the tank about once every three months. The only thing that stresses me is when I watch the HUD showing me that I have less than a mile left in EV mode and I am about a mile from home. I don't think it is good for the engine to come on for about one or two minutes and then be shut down. But I do it anyway, just with a little stress.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe force it into hybrid mode then and there, so it can do a better warm up cycle.

4. Reynold Nugter

Reynold Nugter New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello Mendel. It's Reynold Nugter. We used to live in the same street in Powell River 50 years ago, or so?

I was wondering if you would like to catch up? :)

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.