1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid SUVs are actually a bad thing.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Gurmail, Aug 6, 2004.

1. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I also feel that hybrid technology should not be retained exclusively for use by smaller cars. I get the impression that the objections to SUVs having hybrid engines are actually objections to SUVs in general. Consider a more extreme case; would it be wrong for someone to manufacture a hybrid bus (BTW, GM already has) or a hybrid tractor-trailer? If they burn less fuel and have lower emissions, then who could possibly object to that? Another thing to consider is that most people who are in the market for an SUV are not likely going to change their mind because of guilt about fuel consumption. So, if they are going to buy an SUV anyway, why not one that consumes a little less fuel, and produces fewer emissions?

Having said that, I'm also not a big fan of SUVs either. However, it's not so much the vehicles as it is the drivers. Most of the SUVs around here are driven by aggressive drivers who are trying to intimidate those around them. I don't fault the SUVs though, there is definitely a market and a need for that type of vehicle. My current car is a Subaru station wagon and I really love the AWD, not only in snow, but on wet roads as well. However, it can't carry enough stuff for a family vacation, and the tow hitch is only good for my bike rack. If I had a larger family or needed to be able to tow something, then I'd probably own an SUV.

For those of you who do not think kindly of SUVs, and feel that everyone could be perfectly happy with a compact car, here's something to consider. What do you think the bicyclist commuter thinks of you as you whiz past them in your compact car?

2. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have no objection to a hybris bus or large truck. A bus is designed to carry a large number of passengers and is the most efficent method of transporting people( except trains) and large real trucks are used to ferry goods. Anything that can be reasonably done to improve their mpg and emissions should be done. An SUV, however, is almost always needless and is a misuse of resources. Making an SUV a hybrid while being better than the alternative remains an inefficent use of the hybrid technology.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If there is a net energy savings by using hybrid technology in any vehicle, how can it be inefficient?

Do you believe there no legitimate use for the SUV class of vehicle?

4. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If someone started using a bus to go to work alone but ued the bus that got best mpg (2-3 mpg?), would you say that was efficent even if he had changed to a bus that got better mpg? Very few people may have a legitimate use for SUVs and hybrids SUVs are great for them, BUT, these SUVs are being marketed to general public who live in cities and have no need for them. SUVs are being sold as replacement vehicles for cars for everyone, not just for people who might need them. Due to this, the hybrid technology will not be put to best use as many SUV drivers will feel less guilty( if they feel guilty at all) of driving a hybrid SUV thinking it is actually a good vehicle to drive and that they are being enviormentaly consious!! Instead they could have bought a vehicle like the Prius with great room and cargo space and goten around 55 mpg instead of say 20 on the hybris SUVs.

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that hybrid SUV's ARE marketed throughout the prospective buyer range. If everyone purchased hybrids, be it cars, trucks, vans, or SUV's, then our fuel consumption demands would drop substantially. The public is going to buy what they perceive they want and need. You can either offer them a hybrid model that gets 30 to 50 percent better mileage, or they will buy the same old thing. It's not, nor should it be, up to anyone to decide for another, whether that buyer really "needs" that car or not.

6. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes the public will but " what they percieve they need". My point is the society has to try and change that perception when it is obviusly seriously flawed and is very harmful to the society by wasting preciuos resources, incresing US dependance on imported oil, needless extra pollution, crowding of roads, parking places and extra danger to everyone else. Your neighbo(u)r has the right to burn a fire in his home but won;t you be concerned if you could not breathe easily anymore? At some point you lose your right if it impinges on the wellbeing of others. Otherwise there could be almost no law. Eg, isn't speed limit an infringment of people's right to go as fast as they like? What about seat belts or helmets? Safety standards? In a civilized society there have to be compromises not just individulasim.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you missed the point. Hybrids powertrains offer the capacity to reduce or eliminate that foreign oil, and emissions, while still allowing the public a choice in what they wish to own and drive.

Where I live, we do burn our trash. It's legal, and far less expensive than what the various collection companies around here, want to charge to haul our stuff to an ever filling landfill. It works out to be a lesser of two evils. I do not subscribe to the line of thought that SUV's are going to kill us all either. They have the same OBD II equipment that is used in cars, EPA mandates notwithstanding. They do not create any more emissions, gallon for gallon of fuel consumed than any other modern vehicle. They just burn more fuel, and through that means, create more overall emissions. Hybrids offer a solution in this regard.

As for seatbelt and helmet laws, sorry, but I do not think the government should be in the business of protecting people from their own stupidity. If people wish to allow for darwinism to take it's course, far be it from me to prevent them from doing so. Personally, I've never needed laws to tell me what is the best means of protecting myself. I wore seatbelts long before they were mandated, and wear a helmet on my motorcycle, even though it is not required for me to do so. Personal responsibility is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The rest of us pay for their stupidity in the form of higher insurance premiums. Protecting them from themselves helps protect our pocketbooks.

Banning SUVs will not be politically feasible until the situation is dire. Like abortions, SUVs should be safe, legal, and rare :_>

9. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Seatbelts and helmets, along with sped limits were just examples. All modern governments have policies on major issues. Do you not agree that the policy of the US govt should be to try and decrease fuel consumption, emissions and make the roads safer?? All laws curb some "freedom". why do we impose a speed limit? does that not infringe upon someone's right to go as fast as they like? People could argue they are responsible drivers and can slow down when required instead of always going slow- say at 3 am. Similarly, my point is that the govt and the society should try and discourage( if not outright prohibit) people from buying large vehicles needlessly. This can be done by imposing higher taxes on bigger vehicles, raising the price of fuel, seting max weight/size limits permissible for urban vehicles, higher fuel economy standards and so on. Obviusly exceptions could be granted to say, farmers etc. In addition there could be better( and cheaper) public transportation which would further reduce the need to use vehicles all the time. Please refer to my earlier post in this topic for more info on this.

10. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do agrre with the post that" SUVs should be like abortions: legal, safe and rare." They are already legal, could be made safer and should be far more rare, only used by those who really need them and even then, of a smaller size.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid SUV's aren't a bad start, but some makers (GM) are calling small efforts (2mpg) good enough, while continuing to market other problems (H2, etc.). As long as they're only using hybrids to balance the emissions scale so they can continue to produce other behemoths, we're not truly making progress.

As for this thread, it looks like I'm witnessing a very core "Republican vs. Democrat" discussion here. One side suggests that people should be responsible enough to do the right thing and that governing bodies should have no part in it. Those people are generally responsible themselves and don't want to be punished because of something they didn't do. They believe progress will happen "naturally".

The other side suggests that people as a whole aren't smart enough to make responsible decisions anymore and therefore those who feel they're smarter than the masses should impose restrictions on all. Progress then happens "according to plan". People still feel controlled - however those who understand that this applies more to the reckless than to the responsible could generally accept it much more readily.

On the first side - it really boils down to education. Teach people how to make responsible decisions and the government won't need to impose rules. Those who can't follow probably could stand some natural selection consequences (Darwinism). Unfortunately, preservation has become a value that will far supersede any sort of natural evolution and as a result, the "stupid" continue to multiply... (thank you modern medicine)

Anyway, once education is set into place - car makers would (in this idealistic vision) then know that the vehicles they make are dangerous (either toward people or the environment) and make improvements henceforth. And of course, educated people would make educated decisions to reinforce the carmaker's decisions by purchasing "smarter" and "more responsible" cars. And they wouldn't be prohibitively expensive either.

Dream world? Most likely :-( This type of change could take decades, and would still put alot of responsibility on the public. Because of that - it sounds like the other side has a valid point. Government restrictions are a short term answer that could solve the problem rather quickly in a matter of years vs decades. Raise gas prices. Impose limits on SUV and other guzzling vehicle sales. Require more stringent efficiency guidelines. Then, if people genuinely need something big - let them have it (like the abortion comment). However if it's simply a want - expectations probably need some adjustment. Encourage the affluent to flaunt the status in other ways that don't have far reaching global implications.

Now in reality - we should probably combine the two. Start w/ restrictions *and* educate the masses - that way people aren't as adverse to recognizing that the limitations are there for really good reason. Once people "get it", reduce restrictions, but *continue* the education so that people don't fall back into today's generally irresponsible rut.

Where am I going with this? Bottom line is that you can't please all people all the time. If we impose rules to make the world a better place - rights activists will complain that it wasn't of their choice. If we destroy or forever alter the world we live in because we were protecting our freedoms, humanity as we know it will still be penalized - through eventual environmental and/or economical catastrophe (global warming, exhausted resources and oil reserves, etc.)

Freedom today, or freedom forever? I'd choose some minor inconveniences to allow my kids to live in a better world tomorrow any day. I feel that's simply foresight on my part. Feel free to disagree, but it makes sense in a much bigger, less selfless picture.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exactly. I think that the insurance companies should only have to pay costs for injuries that would likely have occurred had the person been wearing their belt or helmet. Let these people fork out for their poor judgement, and have their rates raised since they do not follow reasonable safety practices.

13. impreza

impreza New Member

I think there is another reason why its a good idea that they are making SUV hybrids.

And that is research.

Billions and billions of dollars have been spent on R&D for the ICE.

If many more people buy SUVs then the SUV makers will want better and better batteries. More money will get spent than is spent now on research. Batteries will get smaller and more efficient.

And who knows, maybe batteries will get so small and so efficient, that a realistic totally electric car will get invented.

And by that I mean a totally electric full size vehicle that can go 500 miles on a few minute charge and go 100 miles per hour and seat 6 to 8 and carry luggage.

From what I've read, the 2004 Prius battery is one half the size of the first Prius battery back in the mid 1990s.

So hybrid research could lead to a totally electric vehicle that works for the masses of people.

And the more people who get hybrids, the more money will go to battery makers, the more money will get spent on battery research.

That can't be a bad thing.

Then we need to figure out how to get the free market to make cheap clean electricity. And I'm very leery of hydrogen, especially hydrogen made from natural gas. That to me is just another dead end.

14. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that this "transitional" technology should be widely disseminated through all product lines. I hope the Prius evolving. Prius "to go before" I see the Prius changing allowing those who choose to be beta testers of each new technology towards oil independence then use of energy sources that are renewable.

15. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

please don't take offens for my using you as an example, but whatever happened to the mini-van? I'll consider the fact that the hybrid highlander will be out before any hybrid mini-van, but why do people look straight at the SUVs when often the vans have way more cargo room etc. ?

please do enlighten me, I don't have childeren so maybe I'm missing something important in the decison making process of SUV v Mini-van

16. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I would consider buying a car-based SUV such as the Highlander because I do a significant amount of recreation-related driving on irregular dirt roads. Also, I would be interested in all-wheel drive for safety in winter driving.

I would not consider buying a minivan, because I don't need to seat 7 people. The extra seats would be in the way of my bicycle, skis, and other junk that I keep in the car.

Just comparing Toyota's current (2004 model year) offerings, the Highlander and Sienna are roughly comparable, both based on the Camry platform. But the Sienna is heavier (4120 pounds vs 3750), bigger (200" long vs 184", 77" wide vs 71", 68" tall vs 66"), and gets worse gas mileage (18/24 vs 21/25).

So, aside from the political incorrectness of getting an "SUV", why wouldn't I prefer the SUV to the more obese, less energy efficient, minivan?

Now I'd prefer even more a smaller SUV, say, about the size of the Prius, with AWD and more ground clearance, with a 4-cylinder engine and hybrid synergy drive. Unfortunately, the hybrid version of the Highlander is way overkill for my purposes, so I'll probably just get a Prius and hope that the undercarriage doesn't get too scraped up.

17. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Something like a hybrid RAV?

18. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I can't speak for anyone else, but, for me, the RAV4 is too small (in the length dimension), about 8" smaller than the Prius. And the Highlander is too big. The Prius is just about the right size for me. But, as I said, the ground clearance problems that others are reporting have me a little skittish.

19. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

get it raised an inch or two, though that will hurt your milage ;)

will the hybrid hylander be the same HSD as the prius except for the bigger battery and the third motor/generator?

will that third MG attach directly to the rear axle?

20. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    From what little I know, yes. Except that the third motor would be only for the all-wheel drive version, to drive the rear wheels. I don't know if it would also function as a generator. Also, I don't know whether the rear-drive motor would be on most of the time, or only on an as-needed basis. (I suspect the latter.)