1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid system alert

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by asmrr, Mar 8, 2020.

1. asmrr

asmrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2008 Prius, and had the hybrid battery replaced three months ago. This last week the acceleration has hesitated a bit first thing in the morning. Now the hybrid sytem alert as well as the big triangle and other assorted alert lights are on. Car feels ok driving down the street. Can I drive it 3 miles to my auto shop?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, no problem

You probably got a bad one, was it new or rebuilt?

3. asmrr

asmrr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it was rebuilt. I did go ahead and drive it .. will see what the mechanics say tomorrow. Ugh!

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at the screen right above the radio we call that the MFD Multi Function Display.
    If you see the icon of a car in the upper left corner of the mfd its the hybrid battery that has failed again.
    We call that icon a turtle.

The truth is if its rebuilt unless hours and hours are spent on it its going to fail soon again. Thats because there using the same aged battery modules that are in your original battery pack they just have not failed yet.

The correct way to rebuild the battery pack takes days and days. Every module has to be charged and load tested over specific time set and all corrosion has to cleaned up or replaced. ten fully charged which takes forever. Lots of work. And the bottom line is its going to fail again as there are no brand new modules in that battery box. Its just a question of time.

Based on what we see here 3 months sounds just about right.

The re builders out there today like you will see on Craigslist just find out which module is failing and replace that with a module that has just not failed yet slap it together and hope it works in your car.
    And then you get a tail light warranty.
    That means when you no longer can see the taillights of the repairman as he goes down the street the warranty period is over.

#4 edthefox5, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When entering a local Clearwater zip code and the (new) part # G951047031 into the Nationwide "Toyota Parts Center Online", the closest dealer offered is in Homosassa, and claims the part is no longer available(?) at a cost of $1699.70, though not the closest (may not even be the cheapest), and there is no way to select a more local dealer through the search feature. Willing to bet Germain Toyota of Naples at $1773.60 would do an install for well under what your local dealer is asking, and they're offered as being only 130 miles away :unsure:

The closest offered dealer to @asmrr would be Miata Toyota of Sacramento at $1744.04. That price is also about $30 less ($1773.60) than my local "bad cop" (no donut) dealer, unfortunately there is no way for me to support my local "good cop" (free: donut, coffee, car wash, diagnostics, flat repair, etc) dealer, unless I'm going direct. The next closest (offered) dealer for myself would be in Palo Alto, and is 30 miles away, at a cost of $1950.

After asking my favorite parts jockey how the search results are displayed and why Toyota online parts sales are channeled towards particular dealerships, and if those listed were grandfathered, corporate, or were lacking in sales.. they had no clue why their dealership didn't appear in the search results, and would ask the boss. Maybe the offered dealers will sell over the counter, but then we know other dealers who will also. Could it be a website issue, where some of the dealers aren't using the same back/front end that Corp wants?

There is the refundable core deposit of $1350, and the dealer installation cost (6hrs @ ??), total when done, $3000 or less?

Price matching through Toyota corp online parts sales might be the answer, hard to argue with who is willing to sell for less..

Then @asmrr could do a self install, or find someone (insert favorite priuschatter) to do the installation and get out for even less. Also the possibility of properly rebuilding the current "rebuilt", especially if it was the same (now rebuilt) battery that came with the vehicle.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Recommend you consult here before spending any more money

Prodigyplace likes this.