1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Hybrid System Failure"

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by carlbarry, Feb 3, 2023.

1. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turned on my otherwise trouble free 2012 yesterday morning, and got a "Hybrid System Failure. Pull over to the side of the road immediately" warning. 28,000 miles.
    Car is now at dealer's service center. What can I expect?
    Last time I brought it in for a state inspection, 3 years ago, I was given a long list of stuff they wanted to do, including change the battery coolant. I never brought it into them again, not wanting to get ripped off.
    Thanks for the information!

bisco likes this.
  2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The car prefers to be driven - Looks like you only drive it around 2,800 miles per year, which is basically nothing. Let us know what codes the dealer pulls.

3. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received a voice mail this morning that the IPM has failed. No cost to replace, but won't be available until mid-week next week.
    I found this thread, which indicates I may get a free rental if I push, and also reimbursement for the $80 towing.
    IPM failure at 60,000 miles, 2012 Prius V | PriusChat

bisco likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The free rental and towing is from a recent class action suit which may not be in effect yet. If you have to pay for these keep your receipts and you can be reimbursed later.

The inverter repair will be free now since Toyota already guarantees them for 15 years. My inverter failed many years ago. A known gen3 flaw among others.

5. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got off the phone with Toyota. They said I'm covered under the extended warranty, and there will not be a "diagnostic fee charged" (!!!!). But she couldn't find anything about reimbursing me for the towing, or getting a free rental.

bisco likes this.
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IPM failure was a thing with Gen 3's (your 2012 is a Gen 3). Seems some components (capacitors?) were not bonded correctly during manufacture and this will be covered by Toyota, as you found out. But, you posted in the Prius Prime section, a Gen 4 vehicle. IPM failure has not been reported in Gen 4 vehicles that I know of.

carlbarry likes this.
  7. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sheesh, I was so upset I didn't even see that I'm in the wrong section!

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota? or the dealership?

9. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called Toyota at 888 270 9371

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would get the poop on the class action suit, so you're comfortable with getting reimbursement for a rental or not

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As I stated above, the class action suit is not in effect as far as I know. However, it was tentatively approved, and will be available for reimbursements in your case, and hopefully, even in my case where I had the same issues of a tow and a rental.

Just keep your receipts. I would still go for the lowest cost rental you can find because they may have a set reimbursement rate. So don't go rent a Ferrari for a week.

Important to understand:

Toyota many years ago extended the inverter warranty for GEN 3 to 15 years unlimited miles. That is known as a customer support program. Your dealer is working with that program. It does not include rental car or tow. The attached PDF is typical of Toyota's responsibilities under that program. You should've received this PDF years ago. Assuming you are listed with Toyota as the current owner. If you bought the car used, you may need to let Toyota know that you're the current owner so that you will get notices.

The class action suit on the same subject was finalized last year. It was due to go into effect February of this year. Impacted owners received a postcard last year, as did I. However, it only provided a way to refuse the benefit. You were not required to do anything to be eligible for the benefit. What are the benefits? Realistically they extended the warranty to 20 years and included towing and rental car reimbursement. When the class action results are available Toyota may not directly reimburse.

Postcard

Prius gen3 inverter class action suit postcard.jpg

See this link.
    Remy McCarthy, et al., v. Toyota Motor Corp., et al.

Attached Files:

#11 rjparker, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Seth Holloway likes this.
  12. carlbarry

carlbarry Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm the original owner, and I am included in the suit. I put in my VIN and double checked.

Seth Holloway likes this.