1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System Flush

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lilly58, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Lilly58

Lilly58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,
    I have a 2006 Prius. The 15 year/30K maintenance mentions a Hybrid System Flush. I recently had the following items done:
    - Cooling system flush
    - Transmission fluid replacement
    - Inverter coolant replacement

None of the above specifically says 'hybrid system flush', so I can't tell if I still need to have a 'hybrid system flush', or if one of the above is just another name for 'hybridg sysem flush'. Can anyone shed some light on this? Do I still need an additional thing called a hybrid system flush?

#1 Lilly58, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My guess is that it'll be the inverter coolant replacement. There aren't that many areas you can flush on a hybrid system

3. Lilly58

Lilly58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick reply JC91006. So, are you saying that what the manual calls a 'hybrid system flush' is the same thing as what the dealer called an 'inverter coolant replacement'?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that is my interpretation as I don't see what other hybrid system that can be flushed. The coolant usually is replaced at 100k miles and then every 50k miles after.

Some have had their inverter coolant replaced when Toyota did the recall on the inverter pump, where the tech is suppose to replace the coolant during that replacement. However techs usually take a shortcut and not replace the coolant, just the pump. In that case, your coolant is still original and should be replaced when you reach 100k miles.

You can also replace the brake fluid, that would be the only fluid that's left (other than oil)

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're in good shape probably leave the car alone and drive on. Everything in those opaque kind of plastic looking jugs is pink and or red You are good to go that pink and red stuff flows through your inverter and your hybrid system to cool everything down If there was any nasty garbage in there it probably wouldn't flow very well and remnants of it would wind up showing up in one of those bottles with the pink stuff hopefully the stuff in your windshield washer jug is a different color like blue so just a quick look with the hood up you see two pink bottles they look like they're on their lines the oil checks full you drop the hood was clean hands drive off.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Umm, where are you finding this?

The 2006 Scheduled Maintenance Guide doesn't seem to go out past 12 years, and the 3 year/30000 mile page doesn't say anything about a "Hybrid System Flush". (In fact, a search of the whole PDF for the word 'flush' turns up nothing.)

It does say to "inspect" the "engine and inverter coolant", and that has a footnote number ³, and footnote ³ says "see page 21 for details", and for some reason this online PDF is missing the covers and front and back pages. In other editions, usually the footnote from "inspect" engine and inverter coolant points you to a paragraph that tells you how to "replace" it.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1. The Toyota USA schedule does not have a 15 year/30K (miles?) interval, only goes up to 12 years, and 120K miles. Engine and Inverter coolant change is at 10 years or 100K miles, for second gen. FWIW, for 3rd gen the inverter fluid change is delayed, to 15 years/150K miles.

2. Cooling system flush is a not a term Toyota uses. It'd be either engine or inverter coolant change. This sounds like a dealership generated schedule, loosely connected to the Toyota USA schedule.

3. Transmission fluid replacement is not a bad idea, especially if it's never been done. FWIW, this pretty much clinches that it's not a Toyota schedule, since Toyota USA says nothing about changing transaxle fluid, ands would use the term "transaxle", not "transmission". If they're asking anything more than $125 for this, and won't budge, I would look for alternatives. A fair price is $75~100; it's about the same degree of work/expense as an oil change.

Assuming you do a transaxle fluid change, whoever does it: ensure they use only Toyota ATF WS fluid, from freshly opened bottles. Correct level on refill is determined by filling till it starts coming back out, with the car level. Torque for fill and drain bolts "may" be 29 foot pounds. There are replacement washers available for those bolts (through dealership parts department), and it's good to replace them.

Attached is a spreadsheet I've cobbled, summarizing in table format, the event-by-event maintenance schedule, the Toyota USA schedule (not dealership "interpretation". Much easier to see at a glance what to be done, and at what interval.

And yeah, that not to say it's complete. My take, two omissions that really should be in there: the aforementioned transaxle fluid change, and a brake fluid change.

FYI: While Toyota USA says nothing about brake fluid change, Toyota Canada recommends to change it tri-yearly or 30k miles.

Attached Files:

#7 Mendel Leisk, Mar 27, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  8. Lilly58

Lilly58 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,
    Sorry for the confusion. I'll have to go back to see where I got the 'hybrid flush' from. But, the reason for the 12/15 yr 30,000 is because my car just got to 30K. Yes, I know, but that's what's been making it difficult to determine what to have done. I took my cue from what to do every 30K miles, and then looked at the major things for the 10 year and I though it said 5 year increments after that.

It was only the year before last that I found out my dealer wasn't keeping me apprised of anything; just oil changes and waiting for the 30K to come up. Finally, I got a new guy and he mentioned, 'Uhhh. You really should have had some of the 10 year stuff done'; recommended the flushes and spark plugs (which I double-checked in this forum, as a matter of fact). Glad to have done those, as it did make a difference in the mileage and many folks confirmed that the age of the car warranted those items.

I'm planning on getting a Prius Prime sometime this year or next; so I don't want to spend a lot of money bringing the car up to schedule, but I do want to take care of things that will keep it humming.

Anyway, it looks like I do have the major stuff accounted for then, and I'll take it in for oil change and inspection this time.

Thanks again folks.

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're good

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Has either engine or inverter coolant ever been changed? That'd be most pressing if overdue.

It's good to not rely on dealership to keep you appraised of what maintenance is required. Have a look through the table format summary of the 2nd gen I posted above, and the paper Toyota USA Warranty and Maintenance booklet (if still around), or you can download a pdf version of that booklet, in the "manuals" section at Toyota Tech Info website.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is a generation 2 with 30,000 mi if it's an '09 it's like 13 years old any older than that well you know. I wouldn't do anything You're buying a Prius prime later this year by right you're hybrid battery should be going bad any minute so keep driving the car as much as you have been and if you can increase doing so maybe go ahead or you'll be trying to sell the car with a bad hybrid battery etc I mean at 30,000 mi you haven't come to anything yet 10,000 mi stuff now there that don't listen to these people there's no need in that mess they've checked the brakes hasn't taken the wheels off and rotated the tires that's only been done about two times 30,000 mi so this car at this rate has not been driven and you might want to do so or something's going on the speedometer was changed I don't know but just by time alone battery is coming up the HV battery It may have had a 12 volt already I don't know those are usually time sensitive too especially not being driven and used My goodness.