1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System Indicator and Stealth

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jun 9, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Stealth is a term to describe "no arrrow" mode in the classics which means that the power flow is not predominately going in either direction as far as motor, engine or battery...(obviously there is flow out of the battery since SOC does go down)

when Stealthing you will experience a deceleration rate of 1mph per every 3-6 seconds or so and is probably the best method towards achieving the very high mileage numbers so this mode is the best way to use a stored charge

well today (being Tuesday and my weekly "errand" day) i had a chance to do a bit of cruising using the back city roads which is great for hypermiling due to minimal lights and the 35-40 mph speed limits plus the usual "middle of the week in the middle of the morning" light traffic.

on the HSI screen, i noticed that when i am Stealthing (i think since its much harder to determine or feel it than the SPM which i could do without looking at the screen) the indicator is simply all over the place which i would assume is giving me a much better feedback as to what the car is doing in deadband mode.

interested in anyone elses thoughts on where on the HSI should we be to better keep in Stealth mode?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Dave, just to keep the terminology consistant, we used the term "deadband" to indicate the condition where the engine (ICE) is running with arrows on the 2G Energy screen going to the MG and to the wheels but no arrows going to or coming from the battery.

We used "Stealth" to indicate the no arrows at all condition of gliding.

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been trying to figure that out myself. The car is just too quiet and the HSD is too smooth. Either that, or I just haven't been able to get accustomed to it yet.

I had relied for awhile on the Gen2 Energy Screen for the feedback I needed, until I got to the point of really feeling my way through it.

I don't really like the similar screen in the 2010. It is small, the "car" is aligned differently, and there isn't much color -- the feedback is just not the same. It may be no issue for those who didn't have the earlier model Prius, but I just am not ready to adjust to that screen. I've also defaulted to the HSI.

I cannot for the life of me figure out exactly what that screen is supposed to do. I get the "Charge" end of things and the red "Power" end -- pretty big clues as to what is going on. I'd like to know why there is a vertical line in the center of the screen. Anybody? Bueller?

I think the closest I come to deadbanding is getting that HSI screen clear of anything on the charge side, while also keeping the indicator to the left of the vertical line. The MPG indicator suddenly spiking also is a good clue!

1 person likes this.
  4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh ya... you right...hold on.... ok, can you change title of thread?

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Re: Hybrid System Indicator and Deadbanding

ya!@! i know what you mean. on my SPM you can feel the motor running...on the 2010, i have to have everything turned off most of the time to "hear" the motor running and rarely am i able to determine when it comes on and off.

also on the 2010, i maybe getting old (ok, well i am old!) but the red is very tough for me to see especially at a glance so i dont use that screen at all any more besides the HSI is new so it has my attention for now, but wish i could see it and the old energy screen at the same time.

one thing i noticed though. the areas of regen and the charge band (not so much the power band) dont seem to be exclusive on any certain condition of the car unless its also tied in to what mode the car is in.

for example, even when i am in EV or glide mode, i have 100+ mpg but can actually get the indicator to nearly the power mode band....

same with when i am burning gas, i tried to see if the position of the charge band would correlate to my MPG reading and it varies widely even after warm up.

so i am thinking the Pri modes are

gas to engine+ charge to battery+ power to wheels from motor
    gas to engine + charge to battery+ regen
    gas to engine + power to wheels from motor
    gas to engine+ charge to battery

which then controls what the HSI shows us

hmmm... anyone catch what i am trying to get at?? if so, let me know cause now i am confused

oh ya... my center area has a line with a distinct difference in the shade pattern as well

6. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure but what I understand from my different readings is that the line represent the point where the engine starts/stops to assist the electric motor...

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm nope... at least not always. like i said, i have been in stealth mode and reached nearly to "power" band

8. Jay C

Jay C Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    here is what I figured out, and if I can find it again, I'll post the link tot he 20201 Hypermiler review.

Once the engine is heated enough to shut down the ICE, any amount of bar on the left of the center line = electric only. If the bar is in the charge then you are regen ... if you hold the accelerator so that it's not charging and not electric, you are in "glide" or deadband.
    Once you pass the center divider the ICE kicks on. To turn it off, let off the accelerator until the bar falls below 30% on the electric side (if it doesn't kick off, then it's charging the battery). As far as when you are using the ICE and recharging the battery, I haven't figured out how to tell on this screen and have to push the Info button 5 times to get the the car display :D

FWIW,
    Jay

9. Jay C

Jay C Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    nice article and it does provide some insight (no pun intended) to the HSI display, but his experiences simply dont match mine.

i dont see any guaranteed indicator in any specific mode.

11. B-Dog

B-Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My ICE always starts once the indicator passes to the right of the middle line. I seem to remember that once in EV mode the ICE did not kick in when I passed the line.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There can be an arrow. When the battery feeds the motor for thrust and the engine is stopped, it is stealth. In other words...

0 RPM maintaining 41 MPH in the Classic & Iconic models

0 RPM maintaining 45 MPH in the 2010 model

Glide is the term for no arrow.

13. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK. I'm still trying to figure some of these things out. John: You and I talked about this one, and I agree with you on the MPH, though I thought it was still at 0 RPM at 46 mph (but you have the Scangauge, don't you?). The problem is that I can't see when there is regen during a high MPG ICE run. It used to be easy to see in the Energy screen, but I just can't see it the same way.

Has something changed here? I would think there is still plenty of time when the ICE is running, the HV is being charged AND the ICE is driving the wheels. Like Jay, I just can't seem to see it on the HSI.

Dave: Is that what you are getting at?

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well on the one hand, as you pass center, the ICE is supposed to turn on. that would imply that ICE is off before center but only with sufficient SOC and once again, i have seen situations where i am left of center, 5 or more bars on batt and still ICE on.

so wondering if maybe the center is where you want to be to get the max efficiency and best combo of ICE operation with EV assist?

just back from short trip, watching it again. warm up would be quick since its in the 80's and car sitting in full sun. i did notice the engine kicking on as i past center and was not able to get it past center and stay in EV mode so will have to play with it but slightly possible that warmup was minimal. trip was during heavy traffic, only 11 miles RT with a 20 minute stop halfway

all in all, the HSI is an indication of the power available and runs like a speedometer of sorts, but the "calibration" changes as the hybrid system changes from one mode to another

now on regen, the HSI should be in the charge range, but we can regen while still using other power as well which would make the overall power consumption still into the "un-named" center section

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not just you. Even with young eyes, I find the red difficult to see. I don't think it's even visible from the back seat.

From what I remember from LA, the 2nd bar from the left is the fuel efficient area. It's where the engine may or may not be on and the car is running in its most fuel efficient manner. To the left of the centre line (3rd bar), the engine will be on so I guess if we want to pulse, we want to be in the 3rd bar (unless someone can check and see if pulsing in the 2nd fuel efficient bar is better).

Stealth/gliding as Wayne and I found is when the bars are empty. Note that even a sliver on the HSI will mean you're in EV mode and not gliding.

That's what we found.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok... i think i may have discovered something.... now if we ignore the ends of the display and look at just the center area.

i thought that the center should be significant enough that i would try to drive and keep it as close to the center mark as possible right?? thinking maybe this is the sweet spot for speed and efficiency or between battery and gas, most efficient acceleration, etc.

ok, well when doing this, first thing i noticed is that on streets where speed limit is 35 MPH i was slowly accelerating, kinda like pulsing right?. well had to eventually ease off the power and found that the ¼ mark, i would be slowly decellerating kinda like gliding right? so i am going to try to keep it centered as much as possible to see if i have any improvement on my mileage.

also other observations:

regen: yes you will show regen at any speed. i was on the freeway and hit a downhill stretch (not much of a hill really and it did go to the "charge" area (i call it regen) while doing 60+ mph.

the center line: despite what the article posted says, the center line meaning is dependent on the mode of the vehicle. now its true that in eco mode as soon as you pass the center line, the engine comes on. but i had reported that i have been in EV mode and gone past the center line. well it took me a while to remember how i did it because unless you switch to EV mode it wont do it on its own. But when the EV light is on, you can still pass center but the 25 mph limit still applies. so its a trade off really...

in eco mode, you can essentially EV at a much higher speed so not sure what all is going on there. probably some engine running....

in EV mode, max speed is 25 but can still get nearly to power mode (i tried it 4 or 5 times this morning and a few times i got to about the 80% mark or just over halfway from center to power.

as far as results of the "center mark" driving. will probably start another thread for that

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had thought that getting to the point of not "even a sliver on the HSI" was pretty easy, and I think it is. What I've found, though, is that the "not even a sliver" ("NEAS" - I'm using it too often) view on HSI does not necessarily mean glide. It could be a stealth indicator, I suppose, but not necessarily a glide indicator.

I've gotten to the NEAS position and then flicked on the energy screen -- and I've found I'm either in reg or battery use. It may be small amounts, but it was still happening. I've then feathered the accelerator to get no arrows, and the HSI is still in the NEAS position. (Yes, this was done in the 45mph & under world.) Perhaps the amount of energy going either way is very small, but I was still hoping the HSI would be a better indicator of glide.

I'm becoming more accustomed to the new energy screen, but it is nearly worthless when I'm wearing polarized sunglasses. The red just about disappears then, and I can only see the white arrows. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the arrows change color with direction, either.

If only this car was louder or the HSD "bumpier" -- then I'd know just where I was at!

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i stopped using the energy screen. its simply too small and i also am beginning to think the HSI is what i want to look at anyway.

keeping at center for best acceleration for economy is what i am experimenting with right now.

i am beginning to feel that being to far left means too much battery conversion, being too far right means too much gas or inefficient driving.

what i am going to do is try "center-lining" for a while to see if that brings my mileage up

19. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    FWIW, I read the manual on use of the ECO display. It says to try to accelerate without going into the 3rd "power" region. It also says when you get to speed, back off the accelerator and then feather up to speed. Both of these I think we already knew and can all agree on (unless we just feel like mashing the pedal!).

It then goes on to say for best overall all results (once you are up to speed), try to stay in the lower portion of the middle region, i.e., below the centerline, because that will make the car more likely to use the electrical system. My question is whether that advice is correct, or would result in more use of the batteries, in violation of hypermiler dogma.

Should I instead aim at going just above the line, into the white, so as to ensure the engine is running, unless I'm sure I'm gliding or coasting? Frankly, I'm finding that is not even possible a lot of the time, since trying to go above the line would cause me to exceed the speed limit on slower streets, i.e., I'm sort of forced to use battery only (non-glide) mode in some situations. Sorry if I'm mangling the hypermiler lingo.

20. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I avoided it for the first two weeks, though mainly because it was a different orientation. I'm more accustomed to it, so I see how it has its purposes, but I don't see it as a "main screen" for me. The HSI, even though I don't yet know what it really means, is the one I'm drawn to consistently.

I've wondered about that, but trying to keep it at the center line in acceleration is not a comfortable place in traffic. I'm always at least 3/4 to the right, much closer to, if not in, the POWER area. What really bothers me is that I used the energy screen mainly for measuring acceleration. My goal was to use all of the ICE power for and during acceleration -- have the battery neither use nor receive juice during acceleration. I can't do that with the current energy screen, and I can't yet see the equivalent on the HSI. If you think the center line IS that point, then I'll have a real measure. If that's the case, however, I'll need to drop ECO mode during those times.

Hey. I know this is all code for political talk!:eek: Take it to FHOP, buddy.:rolleyes:

Please keep a good record of it!