1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System Indicator and Stealth

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just FYI,
    I've introduced an ICE running monitor LED.

Ken@Japan

2. LoveMyPriusIII

LoveMyPriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I find it very easy to know when the ICE is on or off. If I cannot feel it all I have to do is look at the instant mpg. If it's at 100 I know it's off. Anything else I know it's on.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    not true. in some circumstances its possible to have the engine running and be getting over 100 mpg

4. CenVal

CenVal Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What would be some of the circumstances where this would be the case? Not having a 2010 yet, so curious to try when I test drive the car again. Probably difficult to determine on a five mile test drive?

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    driving downhill for one. i frequently see 100 to 150 mpg. still burning gas, just not very fast.

now, i dont mean free fall downhills. we those too. those you can regen on. i mean downhill so slight i can hardly tell its going down. those are common

6. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

I wander if by having the HSI on the HUD while simultaneously displaying the Energy Monitor on the instrument display help clear up some of the 2010 mysteries.

Test drove a 2010 with HUD & found by having the HSI on the HUD is far more useful in when comes to all these P&G or hypermilling tricks.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You haven't listed your location, so I don't know whether you're in Europe. In the U.S. we don't have a heads up display (HUD), so you are limited to the one display available at a time on the multi-information display (MID) located high on the dash, adjacent to the speedometer.

I'd be very glad to have the HSI and the old energy monitor going at the same time, but it just won't happen. The HSI gives some interesting information, but 2,600 miles still hasn't been enough for me to really get the best handle on it.

8. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Oh yes, the 2010 that I test drove was launched just last week in Singapore. This version is specifically for the sole authorized distributor for Toyota and comes in only one package with HUD minus the LED headlight, LKA, parking assist and solar roof.

I supposed all these missing features is to keep the prohibitive local car price down.

Toyota - Prius

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd cause you guys can take the most advantage of the solar roof!!

10. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Well, I guess the dealer is more concern with gaining market share here considering Honda's 2010 Insight is selling about S$18k below.

Back to the HSI, thingy, I did notice by keeping the HSI empty (meaning no bars indication), no arrows were observed on the EM (Energy Monitor). I could be seeing things as I glanced between the HUD and the dash display in those moments. Let me reconfirm again after another test drive. :D

1 person likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a good correlation, yes. I managed to get glide today on a test drive. I couldn't do that back in March in L.A.

Yeah I saw that it was retailing for $97k which is in the Camry range. The Insight is in the Corolla range. Close to what's happening here in Canada except that the Insight is between a Corolla and Camry (So priced higher) but the Prius is within the Camry price range.

12. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

Came across a reference to HSI in a March post-embargo review with the author saying:

"This indicator allows the driver to visually anticipate the threshold between EV and internal combustion use..... the HSI gives drivers the ability to accurately determine limitations moment by moment. This is an extremely useful feature sure to be very popular with owners."

Since was "Chief" present, I guess it pretty much describe its main purpose and how it might be used in glide.

CleanMPG Previews the 2010 Toyota Prius-III - CleanMPG Forums

[​IMG]

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    most of the time, that be correct. but again, still depends on the mode. in EVO mode, you can get past the centerline without engaging engine.

in economy mode it works, if going fast enough or SOC is low enough. (as the SOC goes up, the speed to keep engine on also goes up making it difficult to force the engine to run at lower speeds)

its always been a given that running in EV mode was not good for mileage because of conversion losses, etc. but on the 2010, at street speeds, its hard to avoid. after you hit 6 bars, you literally have to be going 45+ mph... trying to hit stealth i found that its not as intuitive as it is in the SPM.

usually on the SPM, i would frequently see mpg in the 120 to 180 mile range so that is what i am basing where i need to be on the 2010 and while doing this the HSI is literally all over the place so i am beginning to think the HSI is showing us what the classics were not designed to show and that is the transitions from "full EV, no ICE" to high mileage stealth with is "a little EV along with a little ICE"

14. Toyotatrio

Toyotatrio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it seems this "center line" thing is a work in progress.
    my question is: i was under the impression that to get the highest mpg was to force the vehicle into ev mode whenever possible, but after reading some of your comments it seems this is not the case. does the mpg drop when trying to recharge the battery and propel the car? obviously a newb on this one, any help?
    also if someone could refresh me on stealth mode. this is high speed, engine on at low rpm?
    thanks for your time and patience.

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    EV mode appears to give you the highest mileage possible, but we still have to look at where the juice came from and what it took to get it.

if coasting down a big hill and the battery is full from regen then sure, use EV... but if not, then using it will hurt your mileage.

electricity converted from gasoline or any other source for that matter has conversion losses. (regen does too, but its all essentially "free" energy so its all good) so you want to avoid conversion at all costs which is impossible. so only use it when you have too.

the best way to get the best mileage is to drive conservatively, minimizing more than very slight acceleration, eliminating braking as much as possible.

the pulse and glide technique has proven to be the best way to get high mileage but can be inconvenient if there is limited roadway and a lot of traffic.

the purpose behind the process

pulse; is accelerating slowly so only the engine is running and power is being sent to the battery. this works best at up to 45 mph (on 2010) or 41 mph on classics. what you dont want is power draining FROM the battery.

glide ; or stealth this is the "no arrow" situation...now remember, there are arrows, but the amount of power going anywhere is smaller than normal. in this mode its kinda of a situation of optimizing a small EV input with a small ICE input. in this mode you will slowly decelerate but not as fast as coasting in regen and the battery will deplete much slower this way while maintaining speed.

as far as stealth, this is kinda like "coasting" but with removing the regen part.

now, all in all, the #1 thing to remember is the last two words ...maintaining speed

this is the make or break of high mileage. gravity and inertia is what you are fighting, not your car's efficiency. it only takes like 34 horsepower (something like that, dont remember exactly but its some ridiculously low figure) to maintain your Pri on the freeway at 60 mph... but that is because inertia is helping you along. momentum is king, that is where its at...

now with traffic, red lights, etc... that will all drain away your inertia (or at least change its state) your momentum lost, etc.

so we go to #2 thing; anticipation

preparedness, planning, etc... whatever floats your boat, and all that means if you know you have to stop, then prepare for it. coast sooner. i get people behind me who get upset because i start coasting up to a light 4 blocks in advance since i know i will have to brake. well, the longer i take to brake, the more momentum i maintain and the less power i have to expend to get that momentum going again.

anyway back to the question. EV mode is great, but it has its place and to be honest with ya, in nearly all situations, that place is not very big. as you have probably guessed by now, the answer is not a simple one. its one that you must constantly re-evaluate as you are driving. getting the very high mileage is a lot of work, but to get good mileage is not, only a few simple rules to follow and you will be doing well

3 people like this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good writeup, Dave.

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thank you thank you... its my "non-technical" version of a technically complex subject

18. Toyotatrio

Toyotatrio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write that up.
    this is my first hybrid, and already i realize the benefits i would have to plugging it in. i see the battery go down, but i know that i will have to run the engine (for the most part) to recharge it. very frustrating.

it seems you don't watch the HSI by referring to the arrow actions. do you use HSI at all? it seems easier to use.

i will follow your guidance. i went as far as printing it out for reference in car.
    thanks, chris

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i use the HSI nearly all the time. i feel that it gives me a better idea of what the car is doing. but more importantly, it shows me the boundaries. i can see how much i have to push to turn on the ICE (past the center point in Eco or Pwr) which is better than what the classics provided us.

20. CenVal

CenVal Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Dave,

One of the best write-ups on the subject especially since I don't have a car to practice. Will need to save this for future reference so I can practice when do purchase my 2010! Thanks for taking the time!