1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System Malfunction Pre-Collision System Malfunction -- Resolved

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevepea, Sep 20, 2022.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All of a sudden on my 2017 Prius Prime I received "Hybrid System Malfunction, Pre-Collision System Malfunction, Go to Dealer" alternating warning messages over the weekend. I tried to Google those warnings to see what it could possibly be -- but while I got numerous hits (mostly here on PriusChat) of others having the same warnings, NONE of them posted afterwards with what the problem wound up being!

Now of course everyone's situation is different and I'm sure there are at least a dozen different causes/malfunctions to bring up those warning messages. But I at least wanted to post MY OWN resolution, for the next person who Googles it, and can't find anyone else's resolutions.

For what it's worth, in my case, it turned out to be the Hybrid Water Pump. According to the dealer, it gave one error code: P314A31. And this indicated that the Hybrid Water Pump needed to be replaced. (Not the normal water pump in the car, but the Hybrid water pump, which cools the inverter and such apparently).

The dealer did the work, and it required two parts: G9040-47040 (the pump assembly) and 00272-SLLC2 (which says "Super Long Life Cool" on the receipt before it cuts off... coolant perhaps?)

With parts and labor this cost in the $850-$1000 range before tax, depending on the dealer. One dealer was $858 (where I initially took it), the other nearby dealer wanted around $1000 when I called to ask.

Though I can understand why the "Hybrid System" warning light would go on with a bad Hybrid Water pump, I'm not sure why the "Pre-Collision System" light would as well. But BOTH warnings kept flashing even after a couple days (this started on a Saturday and I couldn't go to the dealer until Monday. But even after 1-2 days both warnings persisted, so I brought it in on Monday).

Again, YOUR problem may be something totally different. But I wanted to at least post my own resolution because... well... it was kind of frustrating to see a bunch of other people post the same problem and warnings, but NOT their resolutions (what actually CAUSED their problems). Hope this can help someone (but again, there are probably a dozen different reasons for those warnings, so this was only my own resolution).

Still loving my Prime though...

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for $850., did you ask the dealer why the pcs message came up?

3. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the update!
    (y)

I checked, the hybrid water pump isn't covered under the CARB extended warranty.
    :-P

4. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Bisco: I did ask the service rep (not the mechanic) why the Pre-Collision error message came up when it was a hybrid water pump, but his only (non-knowledgeable I guess) reply was along the lines of "sometimes they cause each other's errors" and simply said it gave only the one error code (for the hybrid water pump).

Prius16: Thanks, I was wondering that myself, but oh well.

I realized this happened 5yrs and 5mos after getting the car -- the same timeframe my made-in-Mexico junky Whirlpool refrig died. Products must be engineered to fail at 5yrs and 5mos (for those who buy 5yr extended warranties, though I didn't).

Though I shouldn't complain... I may not use my car that much anymore, but still, this is the first major repair on it ever in 5.5 years.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i budget for new appliances every 5-10 years. at least cars are usually worth fixing

RoadPoppy likes this.