1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid system Malfunction (Visit Your Dealership)

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by RandyPete, Apr 25, 2024.

1. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Got an appointment for Thursday 11AM 5/02/24.
    Reported the problems noted above. Noted they were a reepeat of the problemss I noted the previous week. Toy diagnosis and fix at that time only addressed the problem for one day, then it reappeared.
    Also noticed that the car AC and Heater Climate control system had completely stopped working (a new problem reported to the dealership for the first time).
    Toy SLO worked on resolving the problem. NO WORD BACK FROM THEM. Called them ad they stated the climate control system was not working and that they contacted toyota assking what toyota wanted them to do with thus problem. On Friday, at the end of the business day, got a call from service rep stating that the climate system gas charge had been lost. They stated that the climate control system in the 24 PP XSE was a brand new system they had never worked on. They stated the system cools and heats the traction battery, instead of using cabin air circuitation for that purpose. They stated they would rechargee the system and take it from there. On Monday I was nor contacted by the dealership. Today is tuesday, they called me stating that the ac system still holds the charge they originally put in. They removed some system guard plates covers and looked for leak by adding die to the gas charge, inspected the condensor carefully for leaks as suggested by toyota. Found no leaks. Ask me if I wanted the car back today. Offered to keep it for another day or two to verify system works now. I told them to keep it and insure that the problem has been corrected. In a few days I might get it back.
    Please note that the traction battery is cooled and heated bu the climate control system (AC). If it quits working, Traction battery charge/discharge is effected by loss of this climate control. If your AC ever stops working, get to the dealership ASAP so that the traction battery temp is not compromised buy the failure of this system.

2. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Another thing for Prime owners to note is that there is an additional A/C system service interval every 80k miles. It's for the exact reason above. The HV battery's health is dependent on the A/C system functioning properly. Just letting people know ahead of time so they don't think their dealer is trying to pull a fast one when they recommend the service. It's a real thing. Basically they just evacuate the refrigerant, measure it to be sure none has been lost, then put it back in.

3. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Whats the age/KM for that because when i convert 80k miles to KM and check the Toyo Canada service schedule, they don't mention that service on their maintenance schedule at 130k, that's just "service 1" which is the most basic 6 month check in available.

Hopefully they have a more detailed maintenance schedule breakdown at the dealer because otherwise I could see this just never being done unless we ask for it and know about it in advance ourselves.

Addendum: If the A/C system is used to cool the battery, is there any point to ever leaving it off when driving in the summer then? If it's already running to cool the battery I assume that turning it on or off would make no difference then when actually driving the car in terms of preserving range or fuel efficiency then since the compressor for refrigerant circulation will be running anyway?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don’t trust anything the dealer recommends.
    If you want something done, ask them how much, but never ask for recommendations, unless you bring them back here first for expert advice

RandyPete likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota has been using variable speed / variable capacity compressors since 2004. So adding comfort cooling adds load and incremental power consumption.

RandyPete and Zeromus like this.
  6. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    If some regions/countries have a different corporate Toyota maintenance schedule, that covers A/C testing because its related to the hybrid battery, it would be nice to know why other regions don't have the same though.

Seems like a pretty big maintenance piece to have tested properly if its cooling the hybrid battery. And then you have to ask yourself if the A/C system is considered a hybrid system component now, or not. Because it's warranty period changes if it is or isn't.

RandyPete and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And if it is important for cooling the battery, does it run automatically, or does the user have to turn it on, which might cause early battery demise?

8. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    edit: Double whoops. I thought I was wrong about what I said and originally posted that the RAV4 Prime had the 80k mile A/C service but the Prius Prime didn't. But after posting, I realized that Google had given me the regular Prius maintenance schedule, not the Prius Prime schedule, and I didn't notice. After tracking down the real Prius Prime schedule, the A/C service is right there. So I guess I was wrong about being wrong. lol

It's on page 52: https://assets.sia.toyota.com/publications/en/omms-s/T-MMS-24PriusPrime/pdf/T-MMS-24PriusPrime.pdf

It's scheduled for 8 years/80k miles/128k km. (to convert mile intervals to km intervals, take the miles and divide by 5 then multiply by 8)

The footnote mentions it's connected to states that have the ZEV regulation, so maybe that's why it's not in the Canadian maintenance log.

#48 Hammersmith, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
    RandyPete likes this.
  9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's independent of the cabin controls. Which leads to quite a lot of required operating modes. For example, it has to be able to cool the battery while heating the cabin.

The New Car Features goes through all those modes, and "The Car Care Nut" reproduces some of that info in this video:

(I didn't notice any difference between what was described there and the Prius NCF).

RandyPete and bisco like this.
  10. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Where can I view "The New Car Features" for a Gen 5 Prius ?

11. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It's on Toyota's Europe technical site here:

Toyota-Tech.eu

Along with the Repair Manual, Electrical Wiring Diagram and Electronic Parts Catalogue.

But you need to pay for a subscription. The minimum subscription is something like 5 euros for one hour, letting you have a quick browse and save anything in particular you were looking for.

I don't know if that's accessible/payable from the US - I understand the US site forces you to take bigger subscriptions.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    techinfo.toyota.com

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    KMO likes this.
  14. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    The minimum US subscription is 2 days for $25. The Euro version is accessible from the US for 4 euros for 1 hour(~$4.25). (I'm currently using a 1 hour subscription to get the part number and wiring info for the rear fog light. ;) )

KMO likes this.
  15. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    So could I subscribe to the EU site for one hour and download a pdf of the 'New Car Features' for a gen 5 Prius ?

16. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Not really for two reasons.

1. The European New Car Features(NCF) will not be exactly the same as the US, though they will be very close. On the positive side, at least you have a Prime which is all Europe gets.

2. (the real reason) The NCF is not a single document that can be downloaded. It's a nested tree of hundreds of individual documents that would need to be individually saved.

RandyPete likes this.
  17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some documents there are single PDFs, while others involve you in clicking "print to PDF" a lot of times. That is a thing people have done.

RandyPete likes this.
  18. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thank You.

OK, then should use the US site and pay more for two days of use.
    I'm interested in the AC/Heat Pump features and climate control system. Do you think this info in the nested docs will exist in the same tree limb or will it be spread out all over the tree, like leaves ?

#58 RandyPete, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  19. RandyPete

RandyPete Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thank You !

20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The documents are often full of links to other documents, especially diagnostic and repair pdfs where the real details often reside. In addition, the docs are aimed at Toyota trained techs using lifts and sometimes special tools and Techstream.

The system is designed for use online where the links all work and schematics highlight paths, etc. Having organized pdfs is the next best thing which many of us accumulate.

With that said, a two day subscription can get a lot of information but trying to get the equivalent of a comprehensive repair or electrical manual requires careful organization and renaming of pdfs on your part.

Often the best general information is from videos like the Car Care Nut, a Toyota Master tech who now has his own shop. He has a recent video on heat pump systems in Toyota Primes. He describes the concepts and expresses concern on their complexity.

Perhaps the best technical content comes from WeberAuto on YouTube. He has a video on Tesla’s heat pump system which is probably the best in an automobile.

#60 rjparker, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024