1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System Malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zachem, Aug 3, 2018.

1. zachem

zachem New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know this is probably a long shot, but worth a try before seeing the dealer. I bought a 2016 Prius 3 from a salvage yard with what appeared to be light exterior damage on the pictures. I replace hood, bumper, both headlights, 12 volt battery, radiator (and refilled all fluids), condenser, and engine air filter assembly. My problem with it now is that when I start it up, it gives me a "Hybrid System Malfunction, visit your dealer" error when starting it up. It does run and drive (I drove it up and down the driveway once). I purchased an OBD2 cord and ran the codes on the car.
    The 2 codes that I am getting are P0658 and U0284. From brief research online, it appears that there is a short circuit from the powertrain control module (PCM). Visually, there appears to be no loose wires near the PCM or anywhere in the engine. I tried unplugging hybrid battery and 12volt battery overnight, resetting codes again, but they still come on. Is there any suggestions that I can try? Like I said, I know that this is a long shot, but maybe someone has experience with this. Thank you.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My first and only question is .....are you certain your code reader properly reads hybrid codes?

RCO and Elektroingenieur like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't offer any expert opinion on mechanical problems, but from your description of the car:
    Isn't the car still under warranty? Or having it salvaged void warranty?

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I doubt it: P0658 is a generic SAE diagnostic trouble code (DTC), for which the corresponding Toyota DTC on a fourth-generation Prius would be P065714. The same is true for U0284 (Toyota U028487). It’s also unusual to have a “Check Hybrid System” message without any hybrid system DTCs.
    To diagnose this, you need to use a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, or a third-party equivalent, that can communicate with the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU and the other computers on the car, which probably have more DTCs stored. Most generic OBD-II scan tools sold for engine and emissions diagnosis can’t do this.
    Once you’ve found all of the DTCs reported by the car’s computers, use the diagnostic procedure for each DTC in the Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com. The text and illustrations are also in the Chilton Library service, to which your local public library might offer access at no cost.

For example, for the two electrical problems you mentioned, the causes might not be apparent just from looking at the wire harnesses. The Repair Manual says which wires and connectors to check using a multimeter.
    In practical terms, yes. The Warranty and Maintenance Guide (PDF) says the New Vehicle Limited Warranty doesn’t cover “salvage” or “total loss” vehicles at all, but the emissions warranties do. None of the warranties covers damage or failures due to accidents, however.

Salamander_King and jerrymildred like this.
  5. zachem

zachem New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Elektroingenieur, thank you for a very thorough response. My OBD2 scanner is a generic one. I guess I will try to get it towed to a Toyota Dealership.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’re welcome.
    That’s one alternative, of course, and if you aren’t in a position to do your own electrical troubleshooting and repairs, it may be the best one. If there’s not likely to be Toyota warranty coverage, an independent shop that’s familiar with hybrid vehicles might be able to do the work for less.

Compared to the cost of towing and diagnostic fees, though, it’s not that expensive to get access to Toyota Techstream. I can’t endorse any of the counterfeit options; a legitimate one would be a Tactrix Openport 2.0 vehicle interface module ($169) (reviewed in this thread by @ChapmanF) and a Professional Diagnostic subscription to techinfo.toyota.com ($65 for two days).

7. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car says this for almost everything. You didn't expect it to say "minor problem, you fix it yourself" did you?

What quarter is damaged? A ding in back can screw up the fuel tank. Also, check to make sure inverter coolant is flowing.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. zachem

zachem New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a follow up - I had a friend with Toyota grade diagnostics come look at it. I had the hybrid issue and an SRS light, even though the airbags were not deployed. His SRS diagnostics directed us to a impact sensor on the front driver side. And the engine code that it was giving us was "P310715" (different than the codes my cheap one was giving). We looked up that code and it was saying there's an error between the SRS module and the hybrid ECU.
    I fixed the torn wire with a soldering kit and both the SRS light as well as the "hybrid malfuntction" error turned off. Starts and drives fine, runs no other codes. Thanks for your help guys.

9. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Remarkable

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Othman Sattar

Othman Sattar New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello
    I have the same exact issue with my 2016 Prius, which was rear ended. The damage only reached the rear body panel and no airbags were deployed. Can you please provide pictures of the worn wire you had to fix