1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hybrid system not regulating properly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gretchen1015, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Gretchen1015

Gretchen1015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All, I've been a lurker for the most part, but I appreciate any help...

So I have a 2008 Toyota Prius with 233K miles that I have maintained well. I have a Hybrid Automotive charger and 'intelligent' discharger, which I use twice a year, only during wintertime--usually during a cold snap (down to 40 degrees--what we call that here in Tejas! :)

Anyway, on my most recent charge and discharge, I did a three cycle charge: Charge till it levels off and then keep it connected for 4-6 hours after after each progressive discharge: first 134v, then to 101v, then 84v. On my most recent charge cycle, it responded very well, but didn't get down as far as it should (which I feel is the charger's fault--it's flaky). Final charge went all the way to 246v and held there. So I disconnected it, reconnected 12v and let the car sit for 12 hours.

Drove car and electronics are acting wacky. Idle sometimes over-rev's, dash lights inop, I am driving with Dr Prius to monitor the hybrid cell cycling. The information monitor (it works, though dash lights won't) shows that the hybrid system in car is allowing voltage to go down to one bar before charging all the way full while driving on the highway, but Dr Prius app shows correct voltage. When car overcharges, Dr Prius shows it's overcharging the hybrid battery--up to 253v? Information monitor shows it's low and so car is trying to charge. There seems to be a disparity.

It seems like I should reset the car--any ideas?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Gen 1 had a built-in rebalancing cycle I caught it running every now and then. You can read about it here:

My car did that HV battery rebalance thing again | PriusChat

It sort of sounds as if your Gen 2 is doing the same thing. Which probably means it agrees with you that rebalancing the battery is worth doing, and it's not completely satisfied with the job you did (everybody's a critic!), so it is going through its own procedure to do it.

Have you found the other threads about replacing the capacitor in the combination meter so you can get your dash back?

3. Gretchen1015

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the thread! That was a Gen1 was it? Sounds like a wacky charge and discharge, and based on the Amps (did you say 8-12A???) that would be hard on the battery but it would get the job done. I'm not sure my Gen2 does the same thing on its own, unless I am mistaken...

I'm honestly not sure if this is normal for a Gen2--never seen it behave this way. I read some threads that seemed to indicate that the HV battery is failing, which scared me... except that the Dr Prius doesn't seem to agree... hence my confusion :)

Thank you for the head's up on the capacitor change. I'd really love to have my display back. I think I'll look up that thread later, but for right now, I just want to reset teh car's electronics!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someimes, a connected obd device can cause havoc

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    "The car" might know more about the condition of the battery than you do. :whistle:

You may have actually finally found the end of it's useful life.
    "Reconditioning" will not make them last forever.

6. Gretchen1015

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sure hope not... the car has been driving normally prior to the rebalancing treatment... Dr Prius informs me that one of the two cells in Block 6 seem to perform a little lower than the others, but has never tripped a code.

Today, I got in the car and the dreaded red triangle came on the display (remember my combination meter is out, so no dash lights), I read the code P3000, which seems an error with the HV ECU... it certainly doesn't seem to be regulating the charge very well--hence the disparity on what I see on Dr Prius and what I see on my message center (above the radio).

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think they do it very often early in life. Your 2008 is about the age now that my 2001 was when I first noticed it doing that.

I only caught it happening a few times in the last few years I had the car, and maybe it does work, because I never had battery troubles. I remember the person who bought it from me saying he changed the battery shortly after, but he also runs a shop with batteries on hand and probably was going to anyway.

8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When the traction pack has issues, the car will also have issues that don't make sense. I'm in the same camp as the others posting above.
    "the hybrid system in car is allowing voltage to go down to one bar before charging all the way full" and the 253v are both classic indications of a traction pack issue. I'm very surprised to read DrPrius is not showing any bad blocks and / or a low % on the Life Expectancy Test.

9. Gretchen1015

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to do a Dr Prius life expectancy test, but couldn't remember my Apple password, so I could not upgrade. I'll work on that password today, so I can run a Life Expectancy test. It does, however, show the triangle of death on the car's display above the radio, and reads the code: P3000, or Hybrid ECA assembly (which is in-line with what I'm seeing, charging improperly).

On the other hand, if the traction battery is in fact bad, I guess I've "Loved it to death" by charging it. Would y'all purchase a remanned battery pack, or try rebuilding mine? I''m pretty tech savvy, but I've heard other say this is a bear, and it ends up never being a permanent fix. Rebuilding it, however, would be in line with what's in my head: the traction battery MUST have corrosion issues, AND I've never cleaned the hybrid fan either... those items could be done--replacing a few cells wouldn't be terribly more work if I'm already going to tear the battery down anyway...

10. Gretchen1015

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco said:
    "someimes, a connected obd device can cause havoc"

I was wondering if you couldn't be right about that--the introduced Prolong cable may cause problems with the battery pack sensing, but I believe Bisco's angle may have been the OBD2 dongle I have under the dash...

11. Gretchen1015

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ChapmanF said:
    "I don't think they do it very often early in life. Your 2008 is about the age now that my 2001 was when I first noticed it doing that."

So, is it somewhat safe to drive in this condition? I want to drive it home (I'm at my boyfriend's house right now), which is 15 miles away--plus the Stealership is uber close to his location, but closed today... might be helpful to see what Techstream will pull up: I read a post about a P3000 code having sub-codes, and I don't have the VCI Techstream software

12. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which is precisely why I try to convince people that trying to "recondition" an old battery is usually just a waste of time and money.
    And sometimes it does more harm than good.
    I wish you luck.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try disconnecting any OBD devices, and maybe disconnect 12 volt for a bit, if that might "reboot" it, see what happens?

Oh: mice?

14. Gretchen1015

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I disconnected the 12v battery, pulled my dongle from the dash, and checked fuses 14, 22, and 33--they look okay. Did NOT check 50 bc it's the 120 amp behemoth and the hybrid system comes on, just doesn't operate "right". Reconnected 12v battery after a half-hour.

Powered on car, and the message center doesn't show the triangle, let it run for a minute, but things don't look good. It started out with a halfway full battery that quickly went empty, shows engine running and charging battery, but little improvement. Since dongle is not in, IDK what Dr Prius would indicate, voltage wise.

Tomorrow I'd really like to check wires going to hybrid battery--I'm pretty sure they're terribly corroded (cover is corroded), and if so, it's possible they could be burned too due to insufficient wire capacity due to corrosion.

vvillovv likes this.
  15. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After cleaning up the HV battery fan and checking the large white connector for corrosion, then move on to checking the HV battery ECU pins for corrosion and inside the larger orange voltage sense connector as well.

[​IMG]

Yes, if the above connectors and pins looks OK, then take off the battery cover and check the voltage sense harness, as each of those fine sense wires/spades could have issues. A new sense harness costs around 60ish.

If not DIYing the dash combo meter fix, then you might consider : Prius Speedometer Replacement

Unless the stealership is diagnosing for free (yes, some do), then it will likely be a waste of time/money and a huge repair estimate for either.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I recounted, mine continued to drive flawlessly, from the first time I noticed it doing that, until I sold the car after a collision three or four years later. The person I sold it to did end up replacing the battery, but probably as much because he ran a shop with batteries available and likely would have done so anyway.

I am pretty sure the routine is programmed into the car on purpose as part of its efforts at prolonging the life of the battery, and from all I could tell, they probably knew what they were doing.

If you get a battery-related trouble code, that's a horse of a different color.

17. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    P3000 is a code that says "Hey, the HV battery ecu told me that it has a problem- you should go over there and check for codes". It's quite possible that you have a failing battery, or corrosion at the ecu connector. Might consider checking for codes there first.

Actually, I was never quite sure where Dr Prius is pulling info from. I assume that it gets the HV battery data from the battery ecu as I don't recall having block voltage or IR anywhere else. However it seems that it pulls codes from the Hybrid control ecu (and the ECM).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those parameters might still be in the battery ECU in Gen 2.

It seems like in Gen 3 they did some reshuffling of responsibilities, the "battery ECU" became the "battery smart unit", and has its own private two-wire serial link to the power management control ECU (formerly the "HV ECU"), and the power management control ECU has the only CAN address and does the talking for both of them.

So some of those details seem to vary between generations.

vvillovv likes this.