1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid system not starting after front brake pad change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SamsGen3Prius, Aug 28, 2016.

1. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2010 Prius IV:

Problem - when trying to start the car, it doesn't start. Several malfunction lights are on - Brake, ABS, Power Steering, Check Engine light, Charging System malfunction etc.

What I did before problem started - DIY front brake pad replacement on both sides. I disconnected the 12V battery before doing anything. Jacked up the car, removed the wheel, turned steering wheel to one side, removed caliper nuts, replaced pads and clips, compressed piston (loosened the brake fluid cap before this), put everything back together, repeated on the other wheel. Once this was done, connected the 12v battery, pumped brakes 5-6 times and attempted starting the car. Results as above.

Since encountering the problem, I have tried following without success -
    1. The emergency startup process per manual
    2. Shorting pin 4 and 13 of OBD2 port, starting car in accessory mode and pumping the brakes 8 times in 5 sec or less.
    3. Reading code through a basic OBD2 scanner - it shows no faults/codes
    4. Disconnected 12V battery, left it for an hour or so and connected and retried.

I did forget to tighten the brake fluid cap before my first attempt to start the car. I tightened it after I realized it, but no success.

Anyone here experienced such issues after brake pad replacement? Any next steps I should try before towing it to the dealership?

hotelprisoner likes this.
  2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Same thing happened to me once. I freaked out.
    Here's what worked: Pull the 12V battery negative lead, wait 3 minutes, replace. Something rebooted and then I was fine.

Oh... you tried that already? That's really odd. And no OBD codes at all? That doesn't make much sense, does it?

I"d Google for ABS sensor and look and see if there's an ABS sensor or similar connector that you might have knocked loose at the wheel. But you should get a fault for that.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! try pushing the power button 3 times. also, check your 12v health.

4. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ABS is just one of the indicator, there is also Power Steering Wheel indicator, Brake System failure indicator, Check Engine light and a couple of others. The OBD code reader I have is a basic one. Do I need more advanced reader to get codes?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, if you want to diy, get one with tech stream, it's prius specific. such as mini vci.

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I imagine that your car must have some faults. The ideal OBD reader is Toyota's Techstream, which I bought from eBay for $20 (requires a 32-bit Windows laptop). Pretty sure there are other OBD products which can read all of the Toyota codes, but I'm not expert enough to know.

7. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I suspect somehow fault codes got set when it attempted startup after reconnecting 12v battery. Would these Techstream supported OBD readers help clear the codes, or just read them? I understand if there is a real problem I might still have to go to the dealership, but it would be awesome if the reader can help clear the code and start the car.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe that? Might of been better if you'd left the battery reconnection to the last, after pumping the brakes. With the 12 volt connected, the first few times you pump the brakes the car will detect low pressure.

When changing pads I don't loosen the bleed bolt. I've heard arguments to do it that way though, not sure about that.

9. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I think that might be the culprit. But now that it is properly pressurized, would simply clearing the codes with the Techstream OBD Scanner get the job done? If I ordered new OBD Scanner with Techstream, it will take a couple of days to arrive and I will have to somehow procure a 32-bit Windows laptop. I am trying to determine if this is something I can fix on my own with help of techstream. What are the chances of not having to tow the car to the dealership (and pay them to fix it)?

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  11. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. Tried this already yesterday ( shorting pin 4 to pin 13 and pumping brakes 8 times in 5 sec). Found a demo of techstream software on youtube that has a 2 sec portion on how to clear the codes. I am leaning towards going through couple of days worth of wait for the scanner, finding/installing 32-bit windows on a laptop and techstream software installation pain before towing it to the dealer. Haven't made up my mind yet.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The OP tried starting the car while shorting pins 4 and 13, but maybe try again? Maybe he shorted the wrong pins? Maybe the connection wasn't good?

There is a whole section on PriusChat about OBD apps. So Techstream isn't the only solution for reading and clearing codes. I'd go to that area and look for a product which has worked, and pick one up at the local auto parts shop.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, see now you've been trying lots of solutions. I should have read the initial post more carefully.

This was after battery disconnection. Why'd you do that? (Grasping at straws.)

14. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is this a problem? I turned it to get better access to the caliper assembly. Should I have done it before disconnecting and reconnect it between the wheels to turn it the other way?

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Again, grasping at straws. I've always just left the wheels pointing straight ahead.

16. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Update: Issue resolved.

Stupid 12v battery. I didn't think it would be a problem as I had been driving it pretty much all day the day before, but when I went to try something in the evening, I noticed the interior lights were dim. Checked 12v, sure enough it read 10.34v. Connected the jumper cable and it started right up. No malfunction lights. Just back from driving around for an hour.

Thanks for all the responses!

Rebound and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y) see post #3, doh!:mad:

Rebound, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Resolution in 24 hours. Still a good result.

This does prove that you do have good ideas and aren't just lining the second hand market with parts requests ;).

bisco likes this.
  19. SamsGen3Prius

SamsGen3Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep, need to learn to listen to the experts around here! Thanks!!

bisco likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even a broken clock is right twice a day.:rolleyes:

DonDNH, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.