1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid System stopped

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Shooter1951, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Shooter1951

Shooter1951 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,

While home/car setting for my snowbird neighbors their 2016 Prius hatchback had the following message when I tried driving it: Hybrid System Stopped, Shift to P.

I called the dealer and they said make sure the 12 volt battery is charged. So I charged overnight but still getting same message.

When I first tried to drive it, I was able to back the car out of the garage. But after I put the garage door down, I tried driving but got the Hybrid Stopped Working message. We put it in neutral and pushed it back in the garage. Does anyone know what is wrong? This is first time I have tried messing with a hybrid. Thank you for any help.

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's possible the 12V went flat and won't recharge. The thing to do is remove the 12V from the car and take it to a battery shop for diagnosis; but, in your situation--not your vehicle--I'd just leave it as is. It's not going to get any worse than it is now, so just leave it for the owners to fix when they return. Just tell them that the car won't be drivable upon their return until checked out.

amos likes this.
  3. Shooter1951

Shooter1951 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you Fuelmiser. I did charge the 12 V battery and it is back up. On another post I read to disconnect the 12 v battery for a few minutes and that could reset the "Hybrid Stopped* error. I disconnected and reconnected. Now when I try to start the car I get a ICS Unavailable". And nothing else.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope it isn't rodents. get a volt meter, and put it on the jump point under the hood. if it's 12.4v or better, you might have to have it towed to toyota to have the codes read.

amos likes this.
  5. Shooter1951

Shooter1951 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you Bisco, me too!! I don't see any remnants of any.

I do have an update, but it's still not fixed. After charging the 12V battery fully (they bought a new one last year) I disconnected the negative cable for about 10 minutes. I saw a post that said that should reset the system. It did not work however now instead of the error message "Hybrid System Stopped Shift to P" , now the message is the "ICS Unavailable". And each time I try to start the car that is as far as I can get. Anymore ideas are appreciated. Footnote: Our friends bought the car from Auto Nation and developed a pretty good relationship with the saleslady. She was out sick today but said she would contact me tomorrow and we will try to get a solution. I don't believe I mentioned but when the car was dead (originally with Hybrid System Stopped), the owner called Triple A to have the car towed to Auto Nation. However when she told Triple A she was up north and not with the car, they would not tow it because she was not with the car. She also had to have her drivers license with the car. They would make any exceptions. Again, any ideas are welcomed!! Thank you!!

amos and bisco like this.
  6. Shooter1951

Shooter1951 New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here are a couple pictures of the error messages.

Attached Files:

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ICS just means Intelligent Clearance Sonar. I don't think it'll stop you from driving since I just googled it and saw a Prius drive with that message on the display.

There is something else going on and you need to read the codes. The empty fuel tank could be a factor. Even a Prius needs gas.

amos and bisco like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    huh, is that an empty gas gauge, or not the right screen for it to show, or not registering?

9. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1. These pictures show the car does not go to READY mode, only "Ignition ON". This means your 12V is powering the accessories, but the Hybrid System is not powered up--hence "Hybrid System Stopped". This is what you get when you press the Power button twice with your foot off the brake, although in your case, this may be all the car wants to do. One press gives you "Accessory" mode, two presses "Ignition ON". A third press shuts the car down.

2. When my car is in "Ignition ON", the fuel gauge shows the correct fuel level, so your's appears empty. Notice the low fuel light to the left of the gauge is also ON.

3. It is possible there are multiple error messages and they are covering each other up. You should be able to clear the error messages one at a time by pressing the "back arrow" key on the steering wheel. It looks like the symbol in the top right corner of the error message. You should eventually be able to clear all the messages from the center screen. You'll probably see the "Hybrid System Stopped" is still there and covered up by the "ICS Unavailable"

amos and jerrymildred like this.