1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Hybrid System Warning Light" Coming On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by czyfrme, Aug 28, 2007.

1. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I will try to make this as clear as possible. B)

My "Hybrid System Warning Light" came on 4 times in one day (within 45 mins) about 2 weeks ago. (When the light comes on the car becomes undriveable and I have to coast it to a stop.) It had previously come on maybe twice since I bought the car @ ~83,500mi (I'm @ ~89,000mi now). I figured out I can reset the light if I reboot the system (restart the car) 4 times (at exactly the 4th time the light goes off). I called my Toyota dealer and had my car towed to them (the light was not on when they got it because I had reset it). They ran a check and got 2 codes. I don't know specifically what they are because I don't have my paperwork (it's at home, I'm at work). One code said that the engine didn't start within 8 seconds, the other code said that the engine had misfired. Their solution to this was to change the spark plugs. They did and I thought that had fixed it, but yesterday (about a week after the dealership service) the light came back on twice. The next time it comes on I'm just going to park it (with the light on) and have it towed to them again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any suggestions, answers, maybe tell them what to look for?

Thanks for your time. :)

Leslie

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi Leslie, the codes might help. Most common fix needed for classic Prius is TSB EG011-03. Most commonly only the ECU is replaced.

Your throttle butterfly may be partially blocked by soot buildup, and not able to move as directed by its motor.

Spark plugs, ingnitors, and injectors are rarely at fault. I am not totally convinced that your current Toyota shop is expert with hybrids. Is there a convenient alternative?

3. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ty for the reply tochatihu.

The codes as read on the receipt/invoice are as follows "P0300 and 3191".

Again, they changed the spark plugs, reset/erased/cleared the codes and sent me on my way.

I will say that when I am driving (please bear with me) and holding a steady speed (say 58mph), without taking any pressure off the gas pedal or anything, the car sometimes feels like it "slips" or has a loss of power or continuous speed and decelerates; and the electric motor mpg graph (i don't know what it's called, the fluctuating graph that tells you how many mpg you're getting) shoots up to 100mpg and then after a few seconds goes back to normal (normal @ ~58mph is about 50-ish mpg).

And there is really no convenient alernative. We have two Toyota dealerships around here, both of which are 20+ miles from where I live.

4. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I also found this information from This Website.

"I wondered if any of my Classic owning friends would ever experience this. Yesterday, it happened. The accelerator-pedal became sluggish, making the car feel as though it was fighting an invisible resistance in front... as if a big hand was pushing against it, hence the name. It was pretty darn obvious what had occurred too. The dashboard and Multi-Display both lit up like Christmas trees. A bunch of warnings made it quite clear. Fortunately, taking the car to the dealer was no big deal. Owners have reported long spans between failures like that, so just driving there was a non-event. All went fine. And once there, they pulled 4 codes from the computer: P0300, P3191, P3101, C1259. It was a dead giveaway that TSB EG011-03 should be performed. It's a special service for this very situation, something unique to the older design (THS). The required ECU replacement was done without any trouble."

So the ECU could need to be replaced? Can it just be reprogrammed?

I am assuming since I bought my Prius from a private party that I don't have any warranty coverage?

How much is this going to cost me? I will start sharpening the saw blades... will that be 1 arm or 1 leg?... :blink:

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    This big hand syndrome is well-known to me, because I used to have a hobby-business of rebuilding accelerator pedals for the classic Prius. In my experience, accel pedal failure is not accompanied by such codes, while the TSB EG011-03 is.

Getting the ECM replaced should be no problem, but warranty coverage might be (because of odometer, not ownership history). Always worth the effort to make "a forceful request". Don't really know the retail price for that ECM, but it would not be cheap. No, can't be reprogrammed, they started making them that way in 2004.

The only other alternative I could think of is one from a salvage dismantled Prius. The part number should be 89661-47054 and nothing lower in the last 2 digits. Salvage price might be about $100?

It certainly could be that you have an accel pedal problem. I am in China, and Bob Wilson has my 'stock'. You can contact him at Greenhybrid or the yahoo prius technical group. I also posted DIY instructions in the yahoo toyota-prius-sat2 group files.

Good luck and let us know the proceedings.

Edit oops forgot that Bob Wilson posts here as well, so just ocnsult him w/question on the accel pedal

6. jjkdh

jjkdh New Member

Hi --
    I have recently purchased a 2002 Prius with similar problems, and am wondering if I have a lemon. It is beyond warranty.

The problem has (so far) been intermittent, and I am looking for patterns, and wondering if it could be something as simple as a loose connection or a bad fuse.

Can someone direct me to online instructions for accessing the fuse box in the dash? I've already checked the relevant ones in the engine compartment. (I note the windows don't work, except the driver's.)

The lights that come on include engine light, ! light, PS light, and sometimes the temperature gauge (blue!). Normally it happens after the car has been sitting out in the hot sun for awhile. I notice the temp reading on the dash is at least 8 degrees higher than it is outside (always).... It may drive, and it may stall out. (always it loses AC.) And sometimes if I drive it then, I lose throttle, and drop to coast. However, if I rev it a few times, it seems to come out of it, as if there's a fuel blockage.

Like you, if I stop and restart a few times, it usually goes back to normal, but not regularly on the 4th start, and the problem seems to be getting worse. Today it took close to an hour, and I was far from home or a dealer....

The guy who sold it to me took it to the Toyota dealer, then fed me something about the computer remembering the amount of fuel it took to start it before, when it was low. Nonsense. This happens regardless of fuel levels. (Of course, now he won't return my calls.)

Thoughts? Beyond warranty, so wondering to what extent this is repairable by me or a non-dealer mechanic. (Jeez Louise, the dealer charges over $100 for a single key!)

Also wondering if there's any chance this relates to a 2006 recall:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-reca.../341/index.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 06V266000
    Recall Data: 07/19/2006
    Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Units Affected: 34771

2002 TOYOTA PRIUS ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Recall Date: 07/19/2006

Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, DUE TO IMPROPER MOLDING OF THE RESIN BODY OF THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENOR INSTALLED ON THE ENGINE BLOCK, ENGINE OIL MAY PENETRATE THE SEAL AND ENTER THE SENSOR WIRING CONNECTOR. THE WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENTLY ATTACHED TO THE LOCKING TAB OF THE SENSOR WIRING CONNECTOR.

Consequence:
    ENGINE OIL INSIDE THE SENSOR WIRING CONNECTOR COULD CAUSE EXPANSION DUE TO THE HEAT OF THE ENGINE AND COULD DEFORM THE SENSOR WIRING CONNECTOR. THE CONNECTOR MAY BECOME DISCONNECTED, WHICH COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WHILE DRIVING AND NOT BE ABLE TO BE RESTARTED INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 26, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Potential Units Affected: 34771

Notes: TOYOTA PRIUS 60G
    -----------------

thanks!

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    jjkdh, the crankshaft position sensor is under special service campaign 60G. Ask your shop if your vehicle (VIN) is covered. If not, ignore.

Ignore any discussion of fuel level 'memory'.

Your other electric windows don't work because your driver side override switch is set. Press the button again.

The other fuse panel is revealed when the driver door is open. See the owner's manual. It will also tell you the function of the window lock button mentioned above. If you find any blown fuses, replace them and try to find out what hurt them. Otherwise, direct you attention elsewhere.

Your symptoms remind me of accelerator pedal problems, but do not ignore the possibility of TSB EG011-03. Read and understand my messages above to Crazy4ME.

You need a Toyota shop competent in diagnosis, and to ACT ON what you have read here already. Sorry to be so blunt.

I am in China now and not able to be a NHW11 obundsman anymore. I wish that someone else would STEP UP to take that role!

8. jjkdh

jjkdh New Member

Well, the service shop wants (of course) to sell me the most expensive attempt to fix the problem: replace the main computer.

I am hearing from others that there is no real fix for this. That it's happening to more and more of the 1st generation Prius' as the mileage gets up there. That it does indeed have to do with the fuel trim, but no one, including Toyota, has a good fix for it yet.

Anyone else out there getting this message?

--jj

9. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The "Hybrid System Warning Light", "MIL" AND "Check Engine" light came on again last night, engine lost power and I coasted to the side of the road. "HSWL" & "MIL" went off on the 4th reboot (as always), but the "CE" light stayed on. It's being towed to the dealership today. I told the service man of the TSB EG011-03 and left some information I'd found around the internet in the driver's seat for his review.

Hopefully this will be a quick fix but I'm sure it will be expensive. :unsure: Looks like it's back to Ramen noodles & peanut butter sandwiches for me. :(

10. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If anyone is following this, I just got a call from my serviceman and they pulled a P3002 - "HV ECU Communication Malfunction" so they're replacing the HV ECU @ $650 plus approx. 2 hrs labor. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still - ouch. :(

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Um, OK crazy, but this is quite a different direction than indicated in your first message this thread.

Can this shop tell from your VIN if the EG011-03 has been done on the car? I am still curious about that.

12. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Sep 7 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]508834[/snapback]</div>
    The code P3002 never came up before. The first ones were P0300 & 3191. They cleared those, then the second time I had it towed in it was the P3002.

I will ask them when they call to let me know it's finished if the TSB EG011-03 has ever been done. And the VIN would tell us if it's necessary?

13. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have my car back with a brand new HV ECU. Everything seems to be working perfectly. :lol:

14. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have my car back with a brand new HV ECU. Everything seems to be working perfectly. :lol:

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the VIN is how cars are tracked in the Toyota system, and it will tell them of any work done by a Toyota shop, including any updates/upgrades to the computer system.
    It will also tell them if your car needs any other updates, based on what the car came with originally.
    If you have any other issues with your local dealers, don't hesitate to contact Toyota for assistance. Try the website for contact information.

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... I do repeat myself, huh?

17. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ha. Spoke too soon. Lights came back on Mon (09/17/07) afternoon. Took car to dealership Tues. morn, pulled code for accelerator pedal. Fixing accelerator pedal. By the time all this b.s. is done I will have a brand new car. :angry:

18. czyfrme

czyfrme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Got my car back last night with a new accelerator pedal assembly. Everything seems fine so far. 'Course I've said that before. lol. I hope this is the last of the lights and it takes me another 200k miles. :p

19. LKJR

LKJR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Crap[​IMG], I have a 2006 with 20K miles....this just happened to me last night....dropped my nephew off at the airport, headed home and stopped at the grocery store (in park- never turned the car off) for 5 minutes as my wife ran in for supplies....headed home and the car lost power and it seems like every light on the dash went on....I turned the car off and repowered and I could drive OK but the red triangle light, the check engine light and the hybrid warning light (red car with ! on the MFD) were on. I was able to get home (1/2 mile) without a problem. This AM, the car seems fine...no warning lights....too strange...and scary (losing power like that)...I will take the car in on Monday...I see several threads with older Priuses doing this...anyone with later models experience this?

20. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    My 2002 had a power loss combined with all warning lights coming on (take to dealer, car with exclamation, engine, etc. etc). I tried restarting several times with same result. I drove it home a few blocks and sulked. Later that day it started up with only the "engine" light on the dash (not screen--it was normal). When I took it to the dealer, they diagnosed it as a "common error in the Engine Computer, that comes complete with a special notification from Toyota about the problem." Cost for replacement was $1400 ($1000 for part).

Lucky for me it was a 2 weeks before my extended 6 yr/100,000 warranty expired, so it cost me nothing.

If this is a common problem, why don't they do a recall or have a special notice go out or assure an extension on the warranty for this problem? Can someone more knowledgable than myself tip me off about other such high ticket items that are likely to go bad in a week when my warranty is expired???? And how to get them to replace it before the warranty expires?

Thanks,

Allan