1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Traction Battery in extreme heat

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kalome, Aug 17, 2012.

1. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have any information about the Prius Hybrid battery in regards to how it operates in extreme heat and cold (mostly interested in extreme heat)?

The temps here in the summer are very high and I notice that when I drive my car in the summer (mostly during the hottest part of the day) after it has been sitting for a while it takes a very long time to act normally. When I say normally, I mean charging when braking/acceleration, going into EV mode when it is supposed to and not running the ICE constantly.

For example there are times where my car is sitting for hours the SOC is anywhere from 62-66%. I turn on my car and it starts depleting the battery all the way to the mid 40% in a matter of minutes.
    Also as I’m driving the engine stays on, does not go into EV mode for like 10 minutes and for the first 5 minutes or so when I brake and accelerate it does not charge the battery…the battery still continues to slowly drop.

Another time at work when I got back from lunch I couldn’t find a covered spot so I parked in the sun with visor. A couple hours later I moved my car to a covered spot and I drove literally one minute to get to the covered spot. I had six bars on the battery and it depleted all the way down to two bars.

walter Lee likes this.
  2. Sergio-PL

Sergio-PL Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you using air conditioning? I see that you're driving 2012 US Prius so it may behave a bit different (US models tends to use battery less than EU models as I can see on this forum) than mine 2011 EU version.

Prius will take care of extreme conditions itself. When battery is very cold (below freezing) it will avoid using it at all (event at S0 warm-up stage) until it heats up a bit (by gently charging/discharging). I often see 7 bars in winter during warm-up period.

1. When it's hot (battery runs over 40 deg. Celsius) car also does what it can to cool battery down.
    First you have to remember that the battery will run as hot as car cabin is. If you switch A/C to comfortable levels fan and air vent in rear seat will cool down battery too.
    2. A/C compressor in Prius is powered directly from the hybrid battery. It can "eat" all usable charge within 15 minutes running at full power (which takes place on a very hot day with hot interior/plastics that release heat to the car). Even if you drive with ICE ON much of the power goes to the A/C compressor rather than to the battery.
    3. Next thing is that hot battery can not accept high power current while is hot. It would heat it up more probably damaging battery and even making it catch fire. So logic in the car uses it only as low and easy as possible.

I'm pretty sure that if someone would try to push Prius to the limits in very hot weather it's real power would suddenly drop down to 100 HP generated solely by petrol engine with almost no assist from battery and MG1/MG2 pair working only to give better torque on lower speeds and eCVT.

On the very hot day this summer I've seen no more than 4 bars on my battery, while A/C fan (auto) never dropped below 4 bars of speed (internal temp. set 8 degs below external temp. 37 deg. C). ICE turned off only during full stop and even 10 KM (6 mi) spans never get battery fully loaded. While staying on traffic lights for 2-3 minutes cycle the battery often dropped by 2 bars. And when you hit 2 bars you get forced recharge until 4 bars which may take ages in that conditions.
    This day consumption skyrocketed to 7.5 l/100km on average, over 2 l/100km more than typical city result (for this specific car/use scenario).

Liviu State likes this.
  3. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response.

I always use air condioning. You have to here, although we have been lucky and got a little rain yesterday & this morning. So temps have cooled down to 95 high/80 low (35/27C). Because of that I was able to use windows. What a difference.
    On the way home yesterday & today (12.5m/20k) I was able to get 74.6, 72.4mpg (3.2&3.15 l/100k). Usually I am low to mid 60s mpg (3.5-3.9k/100k)....Dash reading.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Don't worry about it. The car will take care of the battery. That's what it's programmed to do. Just make sure the battery vent (rear seat) is not covered by anything (watch that seat belt!) and do use A/C, as the car uses the interior cooled air to cool the battery.

5. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with all the above posts. This is mines 3rd summer and I've come to accept lower MPGs when it's really hot and I make short commutes. The ICE runs more to charge the battery when the AC is operating since there is a drain on both batteries. I've come to accept that the SOC will often read at just 2 bars during extreme heat. Like David says...the on-board computers will handle everything. Lower mileage is a reality for all cars during extreme heat.

6. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I am not worried about. I asked because I was curious.
    Last summer I drove aggressively in Power mode and maxed out AC. I never really took notice since I wasn't trying for better MPG.
    This spring/summer I hypermile, I do not blast AC (max) and have a SGII.

7. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    phoenixgreg - I posted this a while back Arizona Prii Drivers | PriusChat
    If you hypermile I would be interested to see what MPG you get in the summer/winter months?

8. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used to hypermile, but my results were not as great as some members on PC. Plus, if you drive in the Phoenix metro area, you tend to get aggressively passed by the "guzzlers" here, which are rampant. I've come to accept lower than 50 mpg city driving and just keep up with traffic now. I'm satisfied with 45 to 48 mpg depending on some freeway driving and outside temps. If I'm on a trip and the wind is to my back, I've pulled off 48 to 50 mpg on the road. I used to try ECO mode, and for a thrill, tried PWR mode too...I'm pretty much settled in on normal mode and just drive carefully but not so much as to cause everyone to pass me.

9. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotcha, thanks.
    I got close to the same as well without hypermiling.
    2011 retired vehicle - 2011 Prius 2 (Toyota Prius) | Fuelly
    Don't have a log for the first 2-3 months.

10. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As long as the Prius is running - its HV battery thermal management system will keep the battery from getting too hot. When the Prius is parked and turned off - I believe the HV battery thermal management system is turned off and it then that the Prius HV battery is most often at risk of overheating. Park the Prius in the shade if you can.

hope this helps

Walter Lee

11. Canarian CHR

Canarian CHR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    thanks for all the comments, this is a great forum. I'm having same issues with my CHR. And I cannot understand how Toyota doesn't use active thermal management on the hybrid cars. It's really frustrating for us living in very hot climates.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    too expensive, i suppose. they won't admit to it though. in reality, you do have active thermal management. it's just of a low quality.